Size isn't everything, but...

sage

The perimeter bit was altered when they tarmaced it from the original cinder finish,  it was red Tarmac first, then eventually black.

maybe they made the track wider or summart.

either way, I'll sleep well tonight.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No doubt in my mind the pitch is a stride narrower, evident from the east stand side for sure. A couple of seasons back the track for the ball boys was narrower, I havent registered it recently but you could see where it was a couple of years ago. 

1 minute ago, ariotofmyown said:

Poppycock. Camara is not closer to the pitch.

Agreed - not unless they move the bench. The GoPro camera is right behind the net.

i can remember the pitch being narrowed but not the manager at the time although I have a feeling it was Nigel. When you sit behind the goal the change is noticeable.   The markings line up differently.

Another ongoing ploy is to leave the grass longer in certain areas of the pitch to hamper the visiting side . This used to be very noticeable from behind the goal at Saltergate.

1 hour ago, GboroRam said:
6 minutes ago, chezzyram said:

According to the Gok Wan website, it's the way the grass is mown. The vertical stripes make it look slimmer.

Something to do with whether you play with wingers or not??  Port Vale pitch is/was enormous and a real bogey ground for Chessie.    Saltergate grass used to be left longer near the corners . 

Can see that the direction of stripe will create illusions  -   as with clothing!!  -   but the actual painted markings moved inwards to visibly narrow the playing surface........

On 4/17/2016 at 14:08, sage said:

With Bolton and Reading we have the smallest pitch in the championship, with some clubs having pitches 10 metres wider and longer.

I was looking at some old videos of Derby under Jim Smith in the first few years at Pride Park and the players have noticeably more space and the pitch did looker bigger then.

Have we reduced the size?  

Was the video in a a 4:3 aspect ratio which has been stretched to a 16:9 aspect ratio by your telly?

Archived