Villa

t'oldu

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
PistoldPete2
22 minutes ago, TimRam said:

Think Villa were worst team up to end of November based on same period of time for Sunderland and Derby?

Just trying to find a stat they have taken from us!

Worst team that were in the Premier League the year before? 

Our season was half expected, no investment and relying on Rob Earnshaw and Kenny Miller for goals, relying on Darren Moore, Dean Leacock, Claude Davis , Tyrone Mears and Roy Carroll at the back... relying on Eddie Lewis, Robbie Savage, Benny Failhaber and Stephan Pearson (although he'll always have a spacial place in our hearts for that goal) to create chances... :lol::lol:

That team would have struggled in league 1 imo

whereas Villa have spent some money and do have decent individuals, but at least they aren't celebrating oppositions goals as their own... 

PistoldPete2
9 minutes ago, DCFCArmy said:

Our season was half expected, no investment and relying on Rob Earnshaw and Kenny Miller for goals, relying on Darren Moore, Dean Leacock, Claude Davis , Tyrone Mears and Roy Carroll at the back... relying on Eddie Lewis, Robbie Savage, Benny Failhaber and Stephan Pearson (although he'll always have a spacial place in our hearts for that goal) to create chances... :lol::lol:

whereas Villa have spent some money and do have decent individuals, but at least they aren't celebrating oppositions goals as their own... 

I dont agree there was no investment.. we spent more than Bradford for example who stayed up the following year after sneaking in through  the payoffs. Spending £10m on Earnshaw , Miller and Davis was just money down the drain , none of themn Premier League material.

14 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

That's one thing that narks me about that season - we did spend some money and better spent we'd have at least made a fist of it. Notice how wee Billy the Untapped washed his hands of that?

Not forgetting our spending began the previous January when we were miles out in front and guaranteed promotion. That's when Billy started assembling his league one team, with the likes of million pound wonderkid (with only 6 months left on his contract) Craig Fagan. Makes you proud.

Shame we couldn't make Darren Currie's loan permanent too. With those two, we effectively went out onto the pitch with nine players every single game.

PistoldPete2
4 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Not forgetting our spending began the previous January when we were miles out in front and guaranteed promotion. That's when Billy started assembling his league one team, with the likes of million pound wonderkid (with only 6 months left on his contract) Craig Fagan. Makes you proud.

Shame we couldn't make Darren Currie's loan permanent too. With those two, we effectively went out onto the pitch with nine players every single game.

TBF Craig Fagan played pretty well in the play off final. I dont remember anything else as I have gladly wiped it from my memory. Sadly I dont think i will ever forget Claud Davis.

3 hours ago, PistoldPete2 said:

TBF Craig Fagan played pretty well in the play off final. I dont remember anything else as I have gladly wiped it from my memory. Sadly I dont think i will ever forget Claud Davis.

TBF even our box to box, scottish paul scholes ginger mistro turned it on in the playoff final 

8 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Craig 'knock it round him and chase it' Fagan... I didn't get the signings in that January transfer window, we were something like 7 or 8 points clear and cruising until that month, Billy then decided it was a good idea to ruin morale and sign absolute dross.. Fagan and Currie... and wasn't Jon Macken another one of his fantastic buys that month as well?.. I just didn't get it, we had a good squad anyway, Arturo Lupoli was then kicked out the door despite being one of our better players that season... I know Billy's a fruitcake but he had to be bloody stupid as well, top and cruising and bringing in journeymen players to "get over the line"... :lol:

14 minutes ago, DCFCArmy said:

Craig 'knock it round him and chase it' Fagan... I didn't get the signings in that January transfer window, we were something like 7 or 8 points clear and cruising until that month, Billy then decided it was a good idea to ruin morale and sign absolute dross.. Fagan and Currie... and wasn't Jon Macken another one of his fantastic buys that month as well?.. I just didn't get it, we had a good squad anyway, Arturo Lupoli was then kicked out the door despite being one of our better players that season... I know Billy's a fruitcake but he had to be bloody stupid as well, top and cruising and bringing in journeymen players to "get over the line"... :lol:

You're right about Macken. Did he even score? We did lose Stead but chose not to play Lupoli, Bisgaard, Sethlad and so on. To win the playoff final Billy had no choice but to bring Seth back for one last hurrah. I was so cross because the Fagan fee was apparently massive for the time. He was out of contract at the end of the season but Hull got something like 750k upfront with the same again on promotion. I felt Billy was trying to sabotage us and should have been sacked at Wembley, especially after his post-match comments. Fruitcake indeed and unemployable unless he returns down the road this summer. Not that would be sweet.

PistoldPete2
1 minute ago, Carl Sagan said:

You're right about Macken. Did he even score? We did lose Stead but chose not to play Lupoli, Bisgaard, Sethlad and so on. To win the playoff final Billy had no choice but to bring Seth back for one last hurrah. I was so cross because the Fagan fee was apparently massive for the time. He was out of contract at the end of the season but Hull got something like 750k upfront with the same again on promotion. I felt Billy was trying to sabotage us and should have been sacked at Wembley, especially after his post-match comments. Fruitcake indeed and unemployable unless he returns down the road this summer. Not that would be sweet.

I think Macken did score and we somehow made a profit on him. Wasnt he  a free transfer. I agree Billy should have been sacked after the play off final.  Maybe thats with hindsight though.

On 11/04/2016 at 20:18, DCFCArmy said:

Are you ghost writing for Billy Davies some of your observations are just obscene 3 million for Clod Davis 3.5 million for Earnshaw about 2.5 million for Kenny Miller that's nearly 10 million quid on 3 players but yes you're right no investment obviously 

6 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

I can't remember him scoring, but I think Earnshaw only scored a couple of times, and Miller barring the stunner against Newcastle was next to useless as well 

Howard just wasn't good enough either but was a fantastic Championship striker. all in all we were just bad but we knew it which is why we never go on the players backs, they knew they just weren't good enough either and it would have been cruel to boo them lol. 

4 minutes ago, DCFCArmy said:

I can't remember him scoring, but I think Earnshaw only scored a couple of times, and Miller barring the stunner against Newcastle was next to useless as well 

You could argue that Miller was our most valuable player given that he scored the winning goal in the only match we achieved 3 points from in the entire season

On 4/11/2016 at 09:46, eddie said:

Wasn't this around the time that a former two-time European Cup winner was relegated to the third tier of their domestic league for the first time ever?

Is that the same former European Cup Winning team that finished 20th in the Premier League a record 3 times, compared to our once?

Archived