Defensive setup for corners

Carl Sagan

Today we conceded twice directly from corners where we didn't have a defender on the back post. Both goals went in at the back post, the first a good header (but one you'd expect an alert defender to stop), the second trickling over the line. Darren Wassell says we didn't defend the corners well enough. I would say we are not set up properly which is entirely down to his instruction.

For me, part of a strong setup is to have men on both posts. I think any team is crazy not to defend in this manner.

I would argue that another part of a strong setup is to have two players patrolling the halfway line as outlets to relieve pressure and break at lightning pace if the opportunity arises. This makes the rest of the defensive work easier because the penalty area becomes less crowded and chaotic.

At the moment we keep only player up front. Under NC we would bring everyone back. Innovative coaches such as Mourinho sometimes leave three players up for the fast break.

I'm sure there are younger coaches on here. I don't accept the theory of not putting players on your own posts at corners (we're not the only team not to do it) but I'd love to hear the reasons why, because so many goals seem to be conceded as a direct result of this when it's impossible for the keeper to cover the whole goal from such short range efforts. Why are coaches like DW setting up like this?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Back post or not back post our defence have started their own game of musical statues. When the whistle blows for a set piece to be taken, freeze! stand completely still. 

I fail to see how a group of experienced players have made it this far into their careers thinking they can get away with that.

I don't see why you wouldn't keep two attacking players pushed on, without doing so it just encourages more chaos in the box!

I think when watching Spurs yesterday they didn't have anyone on the posts, they do have the best defence in the league but they have something called movement. Having just watched the highlights, Derby looked slow to things, didn't see much desire to win that ball.

6 minutes ago, BondJovi said:

I don't see why you wouldn't keep two attacking players pushed on, without doing so it just encourages more chaos in the box!

I think when watching Spurs yesterday they didn't have anyone on the posts, they do have the best defence in the league but they have something called movement. Having just watched the highlights, Derby looked slow to things, didn't see much desire to win that ball.

We have 5 players in the box for attacking corners and 11 in for defending them.

We never score from ours but regularly concede from others. 

Why would you even consider having Ince in his own box to defend a corner? The guy has never won a header in his whole career. Stick him on the halfway line and straight away take 2 opposition players away from our area!

Be interesting to look at the ratio of corners won to goals scored for every team in England. I would wager that we must be one of the worst. We consistently get a bucket load of corners and it's rare anything becomes of them. Read into that what you will.

1 minute ago, G STAR RAM said:

We have 5 players in the box for attacking corners and 11 in for defending them.

We never score from ours but regularly concede from others. 

Why would you even consider having Ince in his own box to defend a corner? The guy has never won a header in his whole career. Stick him on the halfway line and straight away take 2 opposition players away from our area!

Exactly. If we did ever play Camara would he go in the box to defend? It just baffles me that we have all this fantastic analysis yet we can be so inept at corners. Having that many players back for corners just sends out a negative message.

13 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

would argue that another part of a strong setup is to have two players patrolling the halfway line as outlets to relieve pressure and break at lightning pace if the opportunity arises. This makes the rest of the defensive work easier because the penalty area becomes less crowded and chaotic.

At the moment we keep only player up front. Under NC we would bring everyone back. Innovative coaches such as Mourinho sometimes leave three players up for the fast break.

We don't keep anyone up front at the moment do we during defensive corners? Martin certainly doesn't stay up - he always comes back, which doesn't make sense to me since it makes it that much more difficult to break out.

I definitely agree that we should be keeping people on the posts and since we have a number of players who are good at standing still, so they should be perfect for the role. 

3 minutes ago, BondJovi said:

Exactly. If we did ever play Camara would he go in the box to defend? It just baffles me that we have all this fantastic analysis yet we can be so inept at corners. Having that many players back for corners just sends out a negative message.

Not only that but if we do defend the corner, odds are that the ball will be coming straight back at us anyway.

What happened to the Mac days of 3 up on the halfway line?!

40 minutes ago, GenBr said:

We don't keep anyone up front at the moment do we during defensive corners? Martin certainly doesn't stay up - he always comes back, which doesn't make sense to me since it makes it that much more difficult to break out.

I definitely agree that we should be keeping people on the posts and since we have a number of players who are good at standing still, so they should be perfect for the role. 

Games I've been at Ince has been our lone man on the halfway line. But as a half-fan I don't get to all the matches!

Martin is important as an extra defender for corners so I don't argue with that.

The first one was ridiculous, lets let there centre back run unmarked from the edge of the area to the penalty spot. I think it was Olssons man but cant be certain.

The second is failing to clear and the player who chested it down was unmarked.

And why no man on the post?! The first would have probably gone in, it had power and was right in the corner. But the second? Bloody pea roller across the ground.

MM has ploughed millions into the training facilities ( which i admire ) which has access for the coaches to video analysis of our opposition previous games etc...   Therefore, it's disappointing to see its not being used well as our defensive set piece set up yesterday allowed Manga to score an exact header from a corner as he did against Ipswich only a few weeks back (12th March 16).  To give away a second from another corner adds to the frustration !

13 hours ago, top 6 finish said:

If we are conceding from corners,then experienced coaches like me can provide the answer.Obviously don't concede corners,thank you very much.Next.

Missing one vital piece of information.

"O'Grady says don't concede from corners".

Sorted.

44 minutes ago, Shuff264 said:

The first one was ridiculous, lets let there centre back run unmarked from the edge of the area to the penalty spot. I think it was Olssons man but cant be certain.

The second is failing to clear and the player who chested it down was unmarked.

And why no man on the post?! The first would have probably gone in, it had power and was right in the corner. But the second? Bloody pea roller across the ground.

I haven't seen the goals, but if Olsson was told to mark Manga then we have bigger problems than whether we should have players on the post. 

45 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I haven't seen the goals, but if Olsson was told to mark Manga then we have bigger problems than whether we should have players on the post. 

Its difficult to tell, looks like we may have even gone zonal?

5569dbfc16fb5887a4100877670e9830.jpg

Manga came in from the left near Ollson, but I think we may have been Zonal marking with shackell and Keogh supposed to attack the ball and both getting out jumped because he had the run on him.

Really difficult to tell because the camera angle is *****.

• 2 weeks later...

Got very lucky today, with a Charlton header from a corner trickling towards the goal but hit the far post and bounced out with no one near the ball the stop it. Alan Hinton tweeted about this a few days ago, saying he'd always have a man on the far post, but suggested the tactic of not doing so is down to the ideas of the new generation of goalkeeping coaches.

Why are we leaving ourselves vulnerable so that any ball targeted towards the far corner will result in a goal? Just have a man on the post and it won't happen.

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

Got very lucky today, with a Charlton header from a corner trickling towards the goal but hit the far post and bounced out with no one near the ball the stop it. Alan Hinton tweeted about this a few days ago, saying he'd always have a man on the far post, but suggested the tactic of not doing so is down to the ideas of the new generation of goalkeeping coaches.

Why are we leaving ourselves vulnerable so that any ball targeted towards the far corner will result in a goal? Just have a man on the post and it won't happen.

Any specifics on why this new generation have dropped the man on the post approach?

Archived