Defensive setup for corners

Carl Sagan

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

Got very lucky today, with a Charlton header from a corner trickling towards the goal but hit the far post and bounced out with no one near the ball the stop it. Alan Hinton tweeted about this a few days ago, saying he'd always have a man on the far post, but suggested the tactic of not doing so is down to the ideas of the new generation of goalkeeping coaches.

Why are we leaving ourselves vulnerable so that any ball targeted towards the far corner will result in a goal? Just have a man on the post and it won't happen.

Wouldn't have said that it trickled. More like a sort of looping header but there seemed to be a huge area of the goal unprotected - not just the post.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We had a spell when PC was in charge when we didnt concede many and cleansheets were the norm.

The minute he left and we changed our system we went back to our usual selves of being dodgy at defending set pieces.

Todays goal apart our record attacking set pieces is pretty damn awful too.

It infuriates me when I see it. It's so simple to do, put Ince or Russell on the backpost where they can do some good - it's not as if we ever counter attack from corners anyway.

Conceded 2 goals at the back post against Cardiff.

Hull nearly had some go in against us at the backpost.

Bolton were too rubbish to challenge us.

Really Charlton should have punished us for it.

These are the types of things that make a difference in big matches and they're so easy to fix.

52 minutes ago, deano180 said:

Any specifics on why this new generation have dropped the man on the post approach?

I've had a google around. Most coaches advocate men on both posts, acknowledging it's a new fashion not necessarily to do this. Barcelona defend zonally without men on either post, apparently in order to be able to spring an offside trap more effectively when a ball is cleared. Our man on the near post achieves neither objective.But I wouldn't go down the Barca route either. Football's a simple game and the simple effective way of defending corners is men on both posts. Sadly I fear this is DW trying to appear clever.

23 minutes ago, PodgeyRam said:

It infuriates me when I see it. It's so simple to do, put Ince or Russell on the backpost where they can do some good - it's not as if we ever counter attack from corners anyway.

Conceded 2 goals at the back post against Cardiff.

Hull nearly had some go in against us at the backpost.

Bolton were too rubbish to challenge us.

Really Charlton should have punished us for it.

These are the types of things that make a difference in big matches and they're so easy to fix.

Good points although tom was up on half way for most of Charlton corners which is positive. 

I expect to see more organising being done by shackell and/or keogh at corners. They seem mighty quiet. As does Carson. Maybe we need a foghorn in defence. 

Archived