Will we ever get a better chance?

Bris Vegas

Six points behind 2nd...

And we dropped points against Leeds, Rotherham, Wolves, MK Dons, Preston, QPR, Fulham, Birmingham, Reading, Forest, Charlton, Bolton....

This league is diabolical. Seriously, it's absolutely horrendous and the quality is terrible. And we've been given a massive helping hand with both Hull and Boro imploding along the way.

You could argue Arsenal may not get a better chance of winning the PL than this season. But this was our best chance of autos in years and we've somehow thrown it all away.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agreed.  Just seen that Boro have lost again as well.

English football has thrown up crazy result after crazy result this season and due to self inflicted wounds we've added to them.  Any semblance of calm stability would have seen us comfortably in the top 2 this season.

Ah well, we could have Aston Villa, Newcastle and Sunderland to cope with next season...

11 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Agreed. The championship is just like the premier league. It's only competitive because there are no quality teams in it. In the championship if a quality team appears like Leicester a few years back they would storm the league. 

It could be argued that the relative strength of a league is nothing to do with how strong the strongest team is, but how strong the weakest team is. You, and Bris of course, seem to think that there has to be a stand-out team in order for it to be a strong league, but it just doesn't follow. How can you tell? Also, to throw in the little nugget of introducing a team from a previous year just doesn't work - how do you know whether or not every team in this league now are as strong, or stronger, than the Leicester side of 2 years ago?. All you are doing is presenting a subjective argument with absolutely no proof one way or the other.

I tend to agree with Eddie just because there's no stand out team doesn't mean that the league is relatively harder or easier per se. All of the teams currently conspiring to fluff pulling away from the pack maybe bar Burnley could be saying the same thing and they haven't had 2 managers in one season as a handicap. 

16 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

Exactly the opposite. It is a rubbish league because the whole lot of them are totally average.

Ever season since my memory of this league starts (admittedly, that's not that long), I can remember it being described as the "poorest it's been in a long time" every season. Every single season. Without fail. I don't ever recall anyone saying it's the best ever. Surely football in the second tier hasn't been getting progressively worse since 2002? When will League One be better than the Championship?

If a team runs away with it, the league is poor because no one could challenge them. If the league is close, the league is poor because no one is good enough to pull away.

Just watched Charlton/Boro, and just like when they came to our place, I thought Charlton looked good in spells. The pace of the game at this level is far faster than it was ten years ago, when it used to be about taking lumps out of each other. When we first came down from the Prem in 2002, we were playing teams like Grimsby and Gillingham. Some of their players had never seen grass on a football pitch before.

Sure it's not the Premier League, but don't see why it's average just because it's close.

10 minutes ago, eddie said:

It could be argued that the relative strength of a league is nothing to do with how strong the strongest team is, but how strong the weakest team is. You, and Bris of course, seem to think that there has to be a stand-out team in order for it to be a strong league, but it just doesn't follow. How can you tell? Also, to throw in the little nugget of introducing a team from a previous year just doesn't work - how do you know whether or not every team in this league now are as strong, or stronger, than the Leicester side of 2 years ago?. All you are doing is presenting a subjective argument with absolutely no proof one way or the other.

It's not a case of there needing to be a standout team. The simpe fact is, the best team in the league is an average Burnley side who aren't good enough to stay in the Premier League.

This season probably ranks with the year that both Cardiff and Hull City got top two. Two very average sides.

Brighton going 20-odd games unbeaten was another obvious sign. They're so average too. 

You look at the teams in this league and 90% of them are littered with problems. How many managerial changes have happened this season? Karanka leaving Boro would make it 15 I think.

It's ridiculous.

3 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

It's not a case of there needing to be a standout team. The simpe fact is, the best team in the league is an average Burnley side who aren't good enough to stay in the Premier League.

This season probably ranks with the year that both Cardiff and Hull City got top two. Two very average sides.

Brighton going 20-odd games unbeaten was another obvious sign. They're so average too. 

You look at the teams in this league and 90% of them are littered with problems. How many managerial changes have happened this season? Karanka leaving Boro would make it 15 I think.

It's ridiculous.

It's subjective.

It's ridiculous.

Yes and we conspired to be of your quoted 14 managerial changes. 

8 minutes ago, Duracell said:

Ever season since my memory of this league starts (admittedly, that's not that long), I can remember it being described as the "poorest it's been in a long time" every season. Every single season. Without fail. I don't ever recall anyone saying it's the best ever. Surely football in the second tier hasn't been getting progressively worse since 2002? When will League One be better than the Championship?

If a team runs away with it, the league is poor because no one could challenge them. If the league is close, the league is poor because no one is good enough to pull away.

Just watched Charlton/Boro, and just like when they came to our place, I thought Charlton looked good in spells. The pace of the game at this level is far faster than it was ten years ago, when it used to be about taking lumps out of each other. When we first came down from the Prem in 2002, we were playing teams like Grimsby and Gillingham. Some of their players had never seen grass on a football pitch before.

Sure it's not the Premier League, but don't see why it's average just because it's close.

I don't think anyone said last season was a desperately poor league? I mean, Norwich, Bournemouth, Watford and Boro were all decent competitors. Sure, the rest weren't up to much.

And when we had the likes of West Brom, Southampton, Newcastle, West Ham, Leicester etc. it was much harder to earn promotion. This season should have been a breeze.

It's been so rubbish, with so many team swapping managers, almost everyone is unsettled.

All it took was for one team with a bit of stability to do well and Burnley are that team. They wouldn't finish top in any of the last ten Championship seasons (bar probably that Hull/Cardiff) one.

That's why it's a rubbish leage this time around. Norwich, had they lost to Boro in the playoff final, would have absolutely smashed it this time around. They probably will next season at this rate.

I'd even go as far as saying Burnley 2013/14 was better than their current team

It's ridiculous.

By definition, any side who were good enough to stay in the Premier League wouldn't be in the Championship

Archived