2 Young Guns in the Mix

Ninos

Judging by the display by the u21s at the iPro Friday night, not surprised to see Rory say:

“I think one or two of them have put themselves in the shop window for the first team squad."

All the players looked good but he must be thinking Zanzala and Calero. I'm of the belief that the sooner we get Zanzala in there the better - he is explosive and could be Derbys next big thing, while Calero has developed into a skilful Butterfield but with Bryson like energy. Stabana very strong too but at just 17 and with Christie in front of him we can afford to wait. 

The U21s play with an attacking flair, sense of urgency, variety of ideas, and passion. Transfer that energy to the first team, Darren Wassall, and you'd have the ipro rocking. 

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Ninos said:

Judging by the display by the u21s at the iPro Friday night, not surprised to see Rory say:

“I think one or two of them have put themselves in the shop window for the first team squad."

All the players looked good but he must be thinking Zanzala and Calero. I'm of the belief that the sooner we get Zanzala in there the better - he is explosive and could be Derbys next big thing, while Calero has developed into a skilful Butterfield but with Bryson like energy. Stabana very strong too but at just 17 and with Christie in front of him we can afford to wait. 

The U21s play with an attacking flair, sense of urgency, variety of ideas, and passion. Transfer that energy to the first team, Darren Wassall, and you'd have the ipro rocking. 

It's a shame for Callum Guy and Rawson as they probably could make the jump to, there's just too many players ahead of them at the moment. Fear the same for calero at the moment, you'd have to lose some of the first team squad to make space

1 hour ago, Ninos said:

Is that because you rate him or because you don't rate Martin, or a bit of both? To suggest chucking him in the starting 11 as you did in the match thread would suggest it is more of the second than the other 2.

Not against putting him on the bench, don't mind any youngster being on the bench, but to say he should start ahead of all our senior strikers is, well, rash to say the least.

Disappoints me how many players were bought in at the expense of giving some of our young lads first team experience. Give me a hungry talented bench of Zanzala, Calero, Bennett, Hanson, Guy and Lowe over Bent, Baird, Warnock, Pearce et al any day of the week. Young players chomping at the bit give so much more energy and competition than a bunch of journeymen. I hope that we see a re-emphasis on youth over the next few months... Mel talks up the academy so much, stop sanctioning transfers of average has beens and give these lads a chance to force their way in!

12 minutes ago, RodleyRam said:

Disappoints me how many players were bought in at the expense of giving some of our young lads first team experience. Give me a hungry talented bench of Zanzala, Calero, Bennett, Hanson, Guy and Lowe over Bent, Baird, Warnock, Pearce et al any day of the week. Young players chomping at the bit give so much more energy and competition than a bunch of journeymen. I hope that we see a re-emphasis on youth over the next few months... Mel talks up the academy so much, stop sanctioning transfers of average has beens and give these lads a chance to force their way in!

Its probably more difficult as a manager than you think to pick the youngsters. 

All the fans on your back, the pressure of a results driven business etc would you bang in a few youngsters or stick with an experienced tried and tested player? Its a big gamble & you'll pay the price with your job and reputation if you get it wrong. Some managers like the fergies and wengers of this world are bothered about a clubs long term future the succession plan for playing staff etc. Others the Mourinho's etc will spend whatever they can, they want sucess they're not bothered about the club long term just the here and now. Instant sucess spend what you like, balls to developing peoples careers no time for that. LVG has picked several youngsters at united & nobody is saying oh they'll learn give them time to develop, they just get slated. (Different clubs, different expectations but if we were bedding in youngster and mid table in this division id be going just as mental after games we should be winning) 

if we asked anyone on here to pick the side they'd play today they'd do it in five mins no problem. If the same person was put in charge for the day how long would it take to pick the side then and would the two team selections be the same? Probably not. Its ok saying start calero but if actually faced with wanting three points, under pressure & with more experianced players ahead would you actually do it? I dont think i could, and as manager youngster would have to really be banging my door down. 

Ive never seen calero or zanzala play enough to comment but i think bennetts  overrated. Why play him and bed him in when ince and russell are better and he's not shown any signs of ever being able to be better than the two 

2 hours ago, Ninos said:

Makes mental note to see if U21 highlights are on Rams Player.

Funny, I don't see the same in Zanzala. He just looks like a ball chaser to me, without much skill or guile. I don't think he's close to the required standard.

The two stand-out performances from last night were Rawson and Calero. Both do look like they could contribute now to the first 18. Stabana appears to be progressing nicely and should come into contention next season. Callums Guy and Macdonald and Timi Elsnik are also worth keeping an eye on.

I would highly recommend that anyone who can gets down to watch the U21s. They've been more entertaining than the first team this season, that's for sure.

42 minutes ago, RodleyRam said:

Damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.

If u21s start getting in the squad now it will be because MM said so.

If MM stops sanctioning transfer he will be meddling with first team affairs.

1 hour ago, rynny said:

Is that because you rate him or because you don't rate Martin, or a bit of both? To suggest chucking him in the starting 11 as you did in the match thread would suggest it is more of the second than the other 2.

Not against putting him on the bench, don't mind any youngster being on the bench, but to say he should start ahead of all our senior strikers is, well, rash to say the least.

There was a play yesterday Rynny that outlined the difference. Ball was launched forward, too wide and far for Zanzala. It was close to being easy pickings for the defender.  

What did OZ do? He hauled his intimidating body at full pelt, made ground on the defender, pressed and rocked him : defender then panicked and booted it straight to Callum Guy, and we attacked again. 

What would Martin do? Realise it's not to his feet, stop dead in his tracks, turn to the defender and give a body gesture like what the hell was that ? Meanwhile they set up their counter and begin an attack. Martin disappears from the game when he has no service. Zanzala can create apparent service from bad service. 

As long as we don't have the clever interplay with Bryson Hughes and the wingers - a system which makes Martin look genius with his clever flicks and interplay - you're better off going with a striker who can interplay but who can kick defenders asses with his pace and strength. 

Right now we don't have an attack let's be honest. Even with a misfiring Kwame , (shoulda buried a couple) that front 3 in the u21s is alarmingly good. In fairness, not sure bent and Blackman have been given a real chance ... but Zanzala can play central left and right and he is a handful no matter where he was. 

4 minutes ago, Ninos said:

There was a play yesterday Rynny that outlined the difference. Ball was launched forward, too wide and far for Zanzala. It was close to being easy pickings for the defender.  

What did OZ do? He hauled his intimidating body at full pelt, made ground on the defender, pressed and rocked him : defender then panicked and booted it straight to Callum Guy, and we attacked again. 

What would Martin do? Realise it's not to his feet, stop dead in his tracks, turn to the defender and give a body gesture like what the hell was that ? Meanwhile they set up their counter and begin an attack. Martin disappears from the game when he has no service. Zanzala can create apparent service from bad service. 

As long as we don't have the clever interplay with Bryson Hughes and the wingers - a system which makes Martin look genius with his clever flicks and interplay - you're better off going with a striker who can interplay but who can kick defenders asses with his pace and strength. 

Right now we don't have an attack let's be honest. Even with a misfiring Kwame , (shoulda buried a couple) that front 3 in the u21s is alarmingly good. In fairness, not sure bent and Blackman have been given a real chance ... but Zanzala can play central left and right and he is a handful no matter where he was. 

So he ran and closed the play down, like Sammon and Theo used to, and that means he should be starting ahead of Martin?

1 hour ago, Ninos said:

You can't seriously be suggesting dropping Martin for Zanzala. He has promise but struggled to get in Stevenage's team. 

Adam Gemeli is quicker than Martin, pick him, no wait Mo Farah has more stamina, no wait Stephen Merchant is taller, no wait Kevin Hector has scored more goals.

42 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Did Camara play?

Yes. Mixed bag. Nothing you don't already know. He has some pace and he consistently gets good crosses in. He played okay but doesn't destroy defenders. He needs space. Prior to the game he got an extended hug and a short pep talk from DW. Got the impression from his body language there that frustration is setting in. 

43 minutes ago, sage said:

You can't seriously be suggesting dropping Martin for Zanzala. He has promise but struggled to get in Stevenage's team. 

Adam Gemeli is quicker than Martin, pick him, no wait Mo Farah has more stamina, no wait Stephen Merchant is taller, no wait Kevin Hector has scored more goals.

He didn't struggle to get in the team, he got injured in his first game for them and never got fit enough to play. Shame they had a change in manager, seems the new one didn't want him.

Archived