2 Young Guns in the Mix

Ninos

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, sage said:

You can't seriously be suggesting dropping Martin for Zanzala. He has promise but struggled to get in Stevenage's team. 

Adam Gemeli is quicker than Martin, pick him, no wait Mo Farah has more stamina, no wait Stephen Merchant is taller, no wait Kevin Hector has scored more goals.

Now you're in full fabrication mode. OZ went to Stevenage, he played one game that impressed the heck out of Sheringham. Bare in mind, Stevenage are one of the weakest teams in the football league. He also made one post 90 min injury time cameo off the bench and then hurt his shoulder before he returned to Derby, after Sheringham got the boot.

This was from the game report and supposedly he was up against the best two defenders in the division on a muddy pitch and put in a star performance. This from the report:

"On his professional debut Offrande Zanzala was enjoying a decent physical battle against Bira Dembele and Bondz N’Gala and looked lively with the ball at his feet. On a number of occasions he looked to have the beating of his man, but was thwarted by decent tackles, with a header on 22 minutes also glanced wide. With five minutes of the half remaining O’Connor and Zanzala linked up through the middle but the ‘keeper beat the latter to the ball by a split second and the chance was gone. Stevenage began the second half brightly with Zanzala brilliantly rolling his man on 49 minutes and getting away only for Dembele to recover with a trademark tackle."

Sheringham described Zanzala as very good on the day. The rest is history as we know.  

On the recall -

Derby wanted one of their best potential strikers working with one of England's finest strikers. That didn't pan out. So then they have to decide whether to keep him at a losing team in the lowest division, working with a caretaker manager who's playing accomplishments included playing midfield for Hitchin Town and Biggleswade United. That's not a situation that suits a prospect of this calibre.

4 hours ago, Ninos said:

On the recall -

Derby wanted one of their best potential strikers working with one of England's finest strikers. That didn't pan out. So then they have to decide whether to keep him at a losing team in the lowest division, working with a caretaker manager who's playing accomplishments included playing midfield for Hitchin Town and Biggleswade United. That's not a situation that suits a prospect of this calibre.

So Stevenage didn't cancel the loan then?

and you would rather have him in the team ahead of Martin? 

On Saturday, March 12, 2016 at 09:51, G-Ram said:

Its probably more difficult as a manager than you think to pick the youngsters. 

All the fans on your back, the pressure of a results driven business etc would you bang in a few youngsters or stick with an experienced tried and tested player? Its a big gamble & you'll pay the price with your job and reputation if you get it wrong. Some managers like the fergies and wengers of this world are bothered about a clubs long term future the succession plan for playing staff etc. Others the Mourinho's etc will spend whatever they can, they want sucess they're not bothered about the club long term just the here and now. Instant sucess spend what you like, balls to developing peoples careers no time for that. LVG has picked several youngsters at united & nobody is saying oh they'll learn give them time to develop, they just get slated. (Different clubs, different expectations but if we were bedding in youngster and mid table in this division id be going just as mental after games we should be winning) 

if we asked anyone on here to pick the side they'd play today they'd do it in five mins no problem. If the same person was put in charge for the day how long would it take to pick the side then and would the two team selections be the same? Probably not. Its ok saying start calero but if actually faced with wanting three points, under pressure & with more experianced players ahead would you actually do it? I dont think i could, and as manager youngster would have to really be banging my door down. 

Ive never seen calero or zanzala play enough to comment but i think bennetts  overrated. Why play him and bed him in when ince and russell are better and he's not shown any signs of ever 

Not saying we should tear up the first 11 and throw the young uns in. Just saying that for me it would be preferable for us long term to get them in the squad and the odd bit of game time to impress. I was of the opinion that we werent £20m away from a decent side and i genuinely dont think many the 'proven' players bought in have improved us, whereas a few talented lads from the 21s stapping at the first team's heals would be better for us. I'd personally take a bit of raw talent and youthful energy than the been there done that type of performances you get from the likes of Bent, Warnock and Baird.  I appreciate it's a bit more of a risk but for me I'd much rather see the young Derby bred lads being involved than not. Just more of a long term view and one of the highlights of being a Rams fan to date has been seeing young Derby lads breaking into the team. Personally I'd forgo short term success for long term development

15 minutes ago, kingsy1884 said:

I would much rather see our first team squad trimmed of some of the overpaid tepid waste of spaces and see the u21s given the chance to step up and give a chance. 

The fact Blackman is ahead of anyone at this club is a disgrace. 

I have no problem with one or two of the better U21s being on the bench ahead of Weimann, Blackman or even Bent. None of them are good enough to start if everyone is fit though.

Archived