Steve McClaren

BBG83

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's what I would do if I were MM:

1. Keep Sam Rush as Chief Executive in title. He does not do much these days anyway so I don't see why not.
  2. Promote DW as Technical Director, as a reward for his service and his loyalty to me.
  3. Hire McClaren as Head Coach and has DW as the middleman.

These keep everyone happy and at the same time help shaking up things and waking players up. And yes, I would do the same no matter whether we get promoted and stay down. And lastly, I would wait till the end of the season for all these, considering how drastic the moves are.

1 minute ago, HKRam said:

Here's what I would do if I were MM:

1. Keep Sam Rush as Chief Executive in title. He does not do much these days anyway so I don't see why not.
  2. Promote DW as Technical Director, as a reward for his service and his loyalty to me.
  3. Hire McClaren as Head Coach and has DW as the middleman.

These keep everyone happy and at the same time help shaking up things and waking players up. And yes, I would do the same no matter whether we get promoted and stay down. And lastly, I would wait till the end of the season for all these, considering how drastic the moves are.

It's all about keeping people happy?

3 hours ago, eddie said:

That to me is paramount. The season before last, and last season until the injuries, were the best from an entertainment point of view since TBE days. To beat Brighton 4 times in a season playing such exciting football was special.

What's so special about beating Brighton four times their hardly Barcelona are they. Plus before that season I think they'd beaten us at least four times over two seasons.

7 minutes ago, TETRA said:

What's so special about beating Brighton four times their hardly Barcelona are they. Plus before that season I think they'd beaten us at least four times over two seasons.

The operative term was 'playing such exciting football', but don't worry about it - nothing has changed. I thought that you were an ignorant idiot before you posted.

;)

21 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

"just wait here love, I've got a date tonight and I want to see what she's like before I dump you. Best make us some snap and leave it on the cooker anyway, and change the bedding, i'll text you if i'm bringing her back"

Obviously you texted and it didn't work out well. Hope you're not hungry now... But wasn't a keeper if person gets so easily pissed off. Good riddance, I say.

On 4 March 2016 at 04:41, G STAR RAM said:

From the breakfast with Mel I got the impression that Mel disliked McClaren after what he did (or supposedly did).

Really don't think he would want him back and neither do I to be honest. When the chips were down he just didn't do enough to turn things around.

There's no disputing that Mel dislikes him and regards him as disloyal.

And that is exactly the problem.

It's investing too much emotion into a business decision. I would hope that Mel, upon reflection, has sufficient self-awareness to be embarrassed by his pretensions quite frankly. After the loyalty he has shown both McClaren and Clement, the word should never again come from his lips; more broadly, when has ANY club EVER shown a manager the loyalty Mel appears to expect from them. His position on that is childish to be blunt.

That doesn't excuse McClaren either. He was bloody minded and stubborn. It was a disgrace to all sides that it reached the level of bitterness it did as, personally, I suspect that arose because both sides actually tried too hard to look after the other; then both felt unappreciated when it fell apart. Many of us fail to recognise that McClaren could have accepted the Newcastle job in January. He could have lied to the Board and said he wasn't interested; he didn't. He told them he had a difficult decision to make. Many of us just assume that was a lie: let's face it, there was a real chance in January that Toon would be passing us as we were promoted.

Of course, he had serious matters to weigh up. That he considered the Newcastle job a "bigger job" was obvious. It is. I honestly think Derby is growing as a force; Newcastle are potentially in decline. They're indisputably more brutal than most but the likelihood of being murdered by Toon fans is offset by how much love you'd get if you could actually turn them around.

While I can't see either Mel or Mac backing down sufficiently to work together (we agree in other words), I did wonder about Mel's apparent softening toward McClaren in the interviews after Clement was sacked. I thought the near acknowledgement of error on his part was commendable. I wanted to believe it might have been a smoke signal.

It wasn't. It was merely regret that we'd embarrassed ourselves over Clement, for no matter what view you take of his sacking, we either got the hire embarrassingly wrong...or we got the fire embarrassingly wrong....or both.

7 hours ago, RamDon said:

There's no disputing that Mel dislikes him and regards him as disloyal.

And that is exactly the problem.

It's investing too much emotion into a business decision. I would hope that Mel, upon reflection, has sufficient self-awareness to be embarrassed by his pretensions quite frankly. After the loyalty he has shown both McClaren and Clement, the word should never again come from his lips; more broadly, when has ANY club EVER shown a manager the loyalty Mel appears to expect from them. His position on that is childish to be blunt.

That doesn't excuse McClaren either. He was bloody minded and stubborn. It was a disgrace to all sides that it reached the level of bitterness it did as, personally, I suspect that arose because both sides actually tried too hard to look after the other; then both felt unappreciated when it fell apart. Many of us fail to recognise that McClaren could have accepted the Newcastle job in January. He could have lied to the Board and said he wasn't interested; he didn't. He told them he had a difficult decision to make. Many of us just assume that was a lie: let's face it, there was a real chance in January that Toon would be passing us as we were promoted.

Of course, he had serious matters to weigh up. That he considered the Newcastle job a "bigger job" was obvious. It is. I honestly think Derby is growing as a force; Newcastle are potentially in decline. They're indisputably more brutal than most but the likelihood of being murdered by Toon fans is offset by how much love you'd get if you could actually turn them around.

While I can't see either Mel or Mac backing down sufficiently to work together (we agree in other words), I did wonder about Mel's apparent softening toward McClaren in the interviews after Clement was sacked. I thought the near acknowledgement of error on his part was commendable. I wanted to believe it might have been a smoke signal.

It wasn't. It was merely regret that we'd embarrassed ourselves over Clement, for no matter what view you take of his sacking, we either got the hire embarrassingly wrong...or we got the fire embarrassingly wrong....or both.

I think you've nailed it.

4 hours ago, RamDon said:

Gotta like a post which agrees with me!

I read that at first as 'gotta like a post which agrees with mel'.

I've already confused Inglorius with igorlegend, now I will mix you up with Mostyn.

Archived