Ssewankambo gone

DerbyPride

5 hours ago, richinspain said:

Only last week there was a chat show type program on the tele here where Iker Casillas was being interviewed. He said that when he went for his trial with Real Madrid (yes I know it's a different level but it still applies) there were 299 other kids went along for trials as well. Of those 299 not a single one went on to play for Madrid (it is possible that some of them went on to have careers in football elsewhere) but that is a 0.3% success rate, and only out of the kids that went along at the same time as him. I would say that we've done pretty well recently with the academy, but if the odd one escapes along the way it shouldn't be looked on as failure.

Is it cost effective at £2.5m per year as compared to 5 olsson equivalents on half-barkers?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Is it cost effective at £2.5m per year as compared to 5 olsson equivalents on half-barkers?

Almost impossible to say whether the 2.5m p/a cost will be worth it, Wassall likened Will coming back to gaining a £20m player! 

Spurs paid £5m for Dele Alli, is Will 4x the player than Alli? 

At 2.5m a year, we'd have to produce a Dele Alli every other year just to break even.

I've seen people on here rate Hendrick at £5m, and even higher, personally I think 2m is optimistic.

As long as it's Mel's money, and not the club's, if he's happy to spend it I see no problem, it doesn't impact the spending limits for FFP, so it's not like we could use the money better elsewhere.

Great business to get money for an U21 player who's never played a league match and by all reports was nowhere near the first team. Can't be any argument. Normally an U21 player would leave by mutual consent or have their contract terminated. It's a ruthless business and the lad's 20 years old.

For those saying we're now devoid of right back cover, we can loan someone in at any time it's needed and if it's just for one or two games, we can make do with the cover in the squad.

But, though I can't say I've read it, hats off to him for saying nice things about the club on Twitter. Very professional. Hope the move works out.

It happens everywhere.  Sometimes you have a player that needs a move to fulfill their potential.

Man Utd let Pique and Pogba go, they did OK.  I'd wager that many more haven't,

Mark O'Brien has just been loaned from Luton to Southport.  Just like Nyatanga, some players just don't progress from their early promise...

If we built a team of academy / u21 player graduates from recent years it wouldn't be that great.....

ROOS

HANSON.      OBRIEN.      NYATANGA      HOGANSON

.                             ADDISON

.               HENDRICK.    HUGHES

BARNES.              BALL.            BENNETT      

Whereas if you built a team of under £500k signings.....

CARSON

CHRISTIE.    PEARCE      BUXTON.   FORSYTH

.                            EUSTACE

.                DAWKINS.    BRYSON

.  WARD                BENT.          OLSSON

26 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Whereas if you built a team of under £500k signings.....

CARSON

CHRISTIE.    PEARCE      BUXTON.   FORSYTH

.                            EUSTACE

.                DAWKINS.    BRYSON

.  WARD                BENT.          OLSSON

No Martin?!

1 hour ago, RamNut said:

If we built a team of academy / u21 player graduates from recent years it wouldn't be that great.....

ROOS

No huddlestone? 

1 hour ago, RamNut said:

ROOS

Players that have also been in our academy are Nathan Doyle, Jordan Mutch, and Jake Kean.

35 minutes ago, rynny said:

Players that have also been in our academy are Nathan Doyle, Jordan Mutch, and Jake Kean.

....and how much did we get for them?

16 minutes ago, RamNut said:

How much did we get for him?

Not enough for me but weak owners dictated that, doubt we will see that now, Hughes will one day likely test that belief.

Wasn't it up to £2.5m anyway?

30 minutes ago, RamNut said:

....and how much did we get for them?

As 2 of them left when they were still academy players and without the guidelines and structures that are in place today, probably nothing. But if they were in our academy now then we would get a decent amount for them, IF we decided they could leave.

27 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

Not enough for me but weak owners dictated that, doubt we will see that now, Hughes will one day likely test that belief.

Wasn't it up to £2.5m anyway?

That was 11 years ago.....

On 04/03/2016 at 07:35, sage said:

Doyle, O'brien, Lelan, Sharp and Naylor are all playing professional football

Hardly important but Hendrie is still going with York, mind you he did lose them a game recently in a side that's struggling in League Two. Not sure how much longer that professional tag will be there after this season for him.

12 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Yes. He looked very strong and fast. an early big injury did not help. Obvious that he was not going to make it into the first team any season soon.

You g to quite a few U21 games don't you Rampage? Do you think he is championship standard?

On 3/5/2016 at 20:29, sage said:

You g to quite a few U21 games don't you Rampage? Do you think he is championship standard?

If he is Molde first team, he could have been at some point. DCFC are looking to bring Wassal's U18s through in my opinion.

Archived