Only 1 real bad mistake

archied

1 hour ago, Éire Ram said:

I've been told that he has approached both Brendan Rodgers and Nigel Pearson after relieving Clement of his duties. However, both are reluctant to give up their substantial compensation packages to come here. I hope the latter decides to change his mind but I won't hold my breath on that one.

Why would they have to give up compensation packages if they are both unattached??? Do manager's come to agreements where they cannot manage another club for a certain amount of time?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If that was the case then what's wrong with saying dw has been asked to take the job until manager they are working on is appointed at which point dw will be returned to his position at the acadamy with the gratitude of Derby county and its fans for his best efforts for the club at a difficult time ,,, a course of action Derby fans could fully understand ,get behind and show patience ,, the players would know a manager would be coming in ,, I'm sure there must be a fair few players wondering wtf is going on ,totally inexperienced coach appointed at start of the season then the acadamy head put in place till seasons end with a view to possibly winning the job full time ,all this with a group of players who have been in the promotion race the last two years and favourites this year,, PC turns out to be the wrong man for the job,,,he is sacked all be it quicker than expected , Derby appoint dw to hold the fort while they work as quickly as poss to appoint the best possible candidate ,,,,, not ideal but it happens in football and a scenario fans can understand and support ,,, what we have in front of us and the noises coming from the club is far from that and hugely troubling for the fans

I'd be genuinely happy if we just had a season in mid-table next season whilst the new man sorts out the mess we've gotten ourselves in, a season in 13-15th with no danger of relegation would be nice, get rid of the deadwood etc.. the past 2 seasons (if we do indeed drop out the playoff places) have been gutting, constantly getting to 1st only to collapse has been soul destroying for the club I think. 

We need a Nigel Pearson type hand to come in and steady the ship, it did indeed take him time at Leicester before they went up, mainly because of the mess Sven left behind, getting rid of the overpriced dross the previous 2 managers had brought in before stamping his own authority on the club, got them playing for each other and the football was good according to most foxes. 

We've tried the forest way of trying to spend our way out of this league and got us selves into a right bloated mess. 

2 hours ago, philmycock said:

Why would they have to give up compensation packages if they are both unattached??? Do manager's come to agreements where they cannot manage another club for a certain amount of time?

It's a non-issue. Let's say for sale of argument they have 6 months pay but can't work for another team. Well, if we offer a contract on the same terms and also agree to a similar payoff deal if things fail, then that would make them better off. 

3 hours ago, Éire Ram said:

I've been told that he has approached both Brendan Rodgers and Nigel Pearson after relieving Clement of his duties. However, both are reluctant to give up their substantial compensation packages to come here. I hope the latter decides to change his mind but I won't hold my breath on that one.

pinch-of-salt.jpg

3 hours ago, DCFCArmy said:

I'd be genuinely happy if we just had a season in mid-table next season whilst the new man sorts out the mess we've gotten ourselves in, a season in 13-15th with no danger of relegation would be nice, get rid of the deadwood etc.. the past 2 seasons (if we do indeed drop out the playoff places) have been gutting, constantly getting to 1st only to collapse has been soul destroying for the club I think. 

We need a Nigel Pearson type hand to come in and steady the ship, it did indeed take him time at Leicester before they went up, mainly because of the mess Sven left behind, getting rid of the overpriced dross the previous 2 managers had brought in before stamping his own authority on the club, got them playing for each other and the football was good according to most foxes. 

We've tried the forest way of trying to spend our way out of this league and got us selves into a right bloated mess. 

No one is going to be happy with a mid-table finish next season, even if we strip the squad to the bare bones and only play teenagers that have been bought up in the Derbyshire area. It just wouldn't fly. 

90% of Derby fans see finishing outside the play-offs, losing to Wolves away, drawing to Preston at home as the end of the world. 

For us to finish mid-table, we would need a lot more days like that than what we've had this season. It wouldn't be acceptable. I don't believe we have 'over-paid dross' in the squad either. I believe we've got a big squad with a lot of talent that lacks clear direction and leadership. I think Wassall has done wonders for morale, which Clement clearly didn't focus too much on, but it's time for a leader to get in the dressing room and formulate a plan for the next 12-18 months. 

Wassall is clearly talented, but this situation doesn't help him either. Derby fans are poisonous, vindictive and largely inpatient. He's gone from the guy that's worked wonders with the academy to a clueless puppet in less than five games. The most worrying part is that he's got a 50% win ratio! 

You are right, since PC went, and even when he was here, for some reason rams fans this season have turned into posisonous, vindictive, inpatient, and down right angry b@stards, i find myself disagreeing with every twitter post I read, or have read out to me by Mr Bradley on radio derby. Because almost every one is an overreaction.

The hatred towards Wassall is unbelievable, considering he is one of our own and he will probably go back to our Academy at some stage. I also found it ironic his celebrating with the fans at Brentford, when he must know 90% seem to be against him. The atttude of these rams fans cannot help the players, we need to support them, not hate them for everything. If I was a player, and I read any twitter stuff, you'd hardly be singing the fans praises at this point, as the overall opinion would definately affect you.

Under Wassall, we have improved, from some of those PC performances just before he was sacked. Martin does look involved and useful again, we are playing the posession based football we saw under MacClaren. Its on the whole better to watch. But it takes time for the new players and indeed the current first XI to adapt.

I totally understand the need to get a way of playing and a system which is maintainable in the premier league. If all rams fans want is top 2, then find out we are Billy davies side MkII with a horrible premier league season, then we will have gone backwards!

But for rams fans, competiting for top 2 is all that matters, to the point, that they will sing our praises like we won the league against brentford, and go back to bag stabbing, eye gouging with a narrow defeat against Wolves.

Its pathetic how much the opinions change between winning narrowly, and losing narrowly.

4 minutes ago, jagerbob said:

You are right, since PC went, and even when he was here, for some reason rams fans this season have turned into posisonous, vindictive, inpatient, and down right angry b@stards, i find myself disagreeing with every twitter post I read, or have read out to me by Mr Bradley on radio derby. Because almost every one is an overreaction.

The hatred towards Wassall is unbelievable, considering he is one of our own and he will probably go back to our Academy at some stage. I also found it ironic his celebrating with the fans at Brentford, when he must know 90% seem to be against him. The atttude of these rams fans cannot help the players, we need to support them, not hate them for everything. If I was a player, and I read any twitter stuff, you'd hardly be singing the fans praises at this point, as the overall opinion would definately affect you.

Under Wassall, we have improved, from some of those PC performances just before he was sacked. Martin does look involved and useful again, we are playing the posession based football we saw under MacClaren. Its on the whole better to watch. But it takes time for the new players and indeed the current first XI to adapt.

I totally understand the need to get a way of playing and a system which is maintainable in the premier league. If all rams fans want is top 2, then find out we are Billy davies side MkII with a horrible premier league season, then we will have gone backwards!

But for rams fans, competiting for top 2 is all that matters, to the point, that they will sing our praises like we won the league against brentford, and go back to bag stabbing, eye gouging with a narrow defeat against Wolves.

Its pathetic how much the opinions change between winning narrowly, and losing narrowly.

90% of fans may be against him, but none of them were in the away end at Griffin Park. Half fans and johnny come latelys tend not to go away too much.

It's too early to gauge whether we've improved much. I would've agreed that we were heading in the right direction if it weren't for the Wolves performance. It wasn't a close game, not in terms of how we played. We were dreadful and it would've been a travesty if we'd somehow taken anything from a Wolves team that were more dynamic, more inventive and harder wroking than us for 90 minutes.

14 minutes ago, Anon said:

90% of fans may be against him, but none of them were in the away end at Griffin Park. Half fans and johnny come latelys tend not to go away too much.

It's too early to gauge whether we've improved much. I would've agreed that we were heading in the right direction if it weren't for the Wolves performance. It wasn't a close game, not in terms of how we played. We were dreadful and it would've been a travesty if we'd somehow taken anything from a Wolves team that were more dynamic, more inventive and harder wroking than us for 90 minutes.

Agree - I know it's trite to say but to a number of us "the derby way" means focus on putting in a performance and getting that as good as it can be. Even if you play well you can still have a result go against you through misfortune, moment of opposition inspiration and so on and we would still support the team in those times.

It does become increasingly difficult when you see the performance level fluctuate so wildly. We gave it a real go against Brentford (I was there for that one) and first half against Blackburn, then seemingly fell off a cliff. When it goes wrong it all goes wrong at once, the effort seems there but the pace has gone, we're back to 2-3 touch and dallying, control is appalling in places (Hendrick and Christie having balls bounce several feet off them) and understanding non-existent (Martin turns the wrong way when in space and plays a cross field ball to where nobody was).

Have some sympathy for DW - he was trying to have continuity, one assumes to build the understanding, but we just don't seem fit enough to go 3 games in a week. Some of the decisions were baffling - why not replace Thorne with Hanson and if Hanson was knackered why was he on the bench? We keep banging on about our big squad yet seem completely unable to utilise  them when they are actually required.

I am really uncomfortable with this "wasted 25 million" mantra ..

hang on a minute lads .. Bryson and Hughes injured in first game(s) acted very promptly to sign Butterfield and Johnson .. We were all delighted and cheering to the rafters .. Butterfield was worth it and  Jonno has run into some very poor form the reasons are unclear. Blackman .. Hasn't been played in a position or formation  often enough to get a feel for if he is any good. Perhaps not the Best Buy. Camara .. How much time on a pitch has he had ? Olson .. A bad signing ? Aww Come on ? .. I don't doubt we paid too much, I reckon we probably didn't negotiate brilliantly and we have too many players who think they deserve a start and are probably sulking so you could say poorly planned or thought out purchases but there were good reasons at the time 

the team is not playing to its capabilities that is for sure. I don't think they are fit enough or united enough. Perhaps we could have done better but we were all very happy with most of these signings. Hindsight an all that 

7 minutes ago, jono said:

I am really uncomfortable with this "wasted 25 million" mantra ..

hang on a minute lads .. Bryson and Hughes injured in first game(s) acted very promptly to sign Butterfield and Johnson .. We were all delighted and cheering to the rafters .. Butterfield was worth it and  Jonno has run into some very poor form the reasons are unclear. Blackman .. Hasn't been played in a position or formation  often enough to get a feel for if he is any good. Perhaps not the Best Buy. Camara .. How much time on a pitch has he had ? Olson .. A bad signing ? Aww Come on ? .. I don't doubt we paid too much, I reckon we probably didn't negotiate brilliantly and we have too many players who think they deserve a start and are probably sulking so you could say poorly planned or thought out purchases but there were good reasons at the time 

the team is not playing to its capabilities that is for sure. I don't think they are fit enough or united enough. Perhaps we could have done better but we were all very happy with most of these signings. Hindsight an all that 

Absolutely spot on.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but not one Derby fan complained when we signed Shackell, Ince, Butterfield & Johnson - and these guys account for a reported £17.5m of the reported £25m spent.

Carson & Olsson cost chicken feed and have/will both prove decent acquisitions.

Baird (free) was a waste of time, yes, with Hanson already at the club.

The only question marks really are surrounding Weimann, Blackman & Camara (reported £7.5m combined), none of whom have had a regular run in the side in their best position.

Personally I'm 100% behind the Chairman and DW. It wasn't necessarily the right decision but we are where we are. After watching the Rams for nearly 50 one thing I'm sure of is that a "supported" team performs better than a team being heckled and moaned at constantly. Its a no brainer.

I have one concern about the situation and that is it may pan out in such a way that we lose DW from the academy, a role he has excelled at.

2 hours ago, Eatonram said:

Personally I'm 100% behind the Chairman and DW. It wasn't necessarily the right decision but we are where we are. After watching the Rams for nearly 50 one thing I'm sure of is that a "supported" team performs better than a team being heckled and moaned at constantly. Its a no brainer.

I have one concern about the situation and that is it may pan out in such a way that we lose DW from the academy, a role he has excelled at.

It would be utterly criminal, but quite typical of those whose fans false entitlement rivals that of Forest, Leeds and Newcastle fans at their worst, if Darren Wassall was hounded out of this club because he didn't succeed at a job that wasn't really his first choice.

Yep there's lots of reasons above that compound the wassell mistake ,, if he had just been put on with the label of interim manager as opposed to the interim on trial for the job it would have made much mores sense , Derby fans not on his back as he is purely stepping in to do his utmost and help the club through difficult times ,, don't know who's doing mels pr and media advising but it's not well thought out ,,, gets fans backs up , puts wassel in a bad position and I believe the players respond worse than if he is announced as interim manager,, if they can underperformance for clement then they can even more so for wassel if that's how they feel

18 minutes ago, eddie said:

It would be utterly criminal, but quite typical of those whose fans false entitlement rivals that of Forest, Leeds and Newcastle fans at their worst, if Darren Wassall was hounded out of this club because he didn't succeed at a job that wasn't really his first choice.

Eddie, Eaton .. So so right. ... Somewhere along the line there have to be wise heads. Mob rule never achieved anything.

DW is evidently a club man with integrity. Maybe he won't end up as a Sir Alex but he has knowledge, a skill set and a commitment to DCFC. ... I haven't the faintest idea why we aren't firing on all cylinders and I bet the contents of my wallet most managers wouldn't either at this precise moment. In these circumstances you pull together, use your instincts, do the right thing as best you can and hope it all turns out right .. All while keeping your fingers on the pulse, your mind open and speaking clear truth without hyperbole. 

Archived