Well Done Mel!

dcfcgodd

3 hours ago, toddy said:

Maybe the title should be changed to how to flcuk up a club in 12 months!

Not sure if it's just 12 months...

2006--2008 -- Rescued the club from financial ruin as a member of a local consortium. As for the club, in the 2007/2008 season we got just one win in 38 games (still the fewest wins in the Premier League history) and get relegated.

2013--2014 -- Came back and purchased a 20 percent stake just two days before the play-off final. As for the club, it was on a rising tide (to borrow MM's words), Keogh did an assist, club stayed in the Championship, and MM overpaid £5m in the gamble.

2014--2015 -- Top of the table at the end of February. Allegedly a head was turned and the wheel came off.

2015--2016 -- Took over as the sole owner. Spent £25m on new players. "The Derby Way" and the wheel came off even sooner this time.

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, IlsonDerby said:

I want to say this is an over reaction but I don't enjoy watching my team play anymore either. 

I've had a season ticket for the last 14 years and in that time I've never stopped enjoying waking up on a Saturday knowing its match day. I've lost that now.  

We've gone from having a team I loved supporting, a team of young hungry players (Hughes/Hendrick etc) mixed with experience and determination (bucko etc) to an over inflated squad I don't like at all. Gone from having managers who were pretty straight talking to a muppet who's delighted at nothing. 

Was going to post then saw you had said if perfectly. Totally dispirited and don't line what the 'Derby Way' currently is...Overpaid, underperforming...no clear plan...

2 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

lol 

the people saying Clement didn't deserve to be sacked are also saying Wassall didn't deserve to be given his job and should be sacked now.

Have a look at Clement's first 4 results, with optimism of a new season and new signings, now compare that with Wassall's first four results, trying repair a broken and unfit squad.

How to twist the truth to suit your own agenda!! What about Clement having to rebuild after last seasons meltdown,and rescuing players in shock? what about losing 2 of your best players after 30 mins of the new season? not important only Bryson and Hughes.The team had finished 8th when Clement took over,when he was sacked they were 5th. I don't have any agenda,except success for this club. The players weren't unfit nor were they broken,they were in play-off position and 5 points behind the top 2.I presume you are acting as a spin doctor for the owner.You are sad.

19 minutes ago, top 6 finish said:

How to twist the truth to suit your own agenda!! What about Clement having to rebuild after last seasons meltdown,and rescuing players in shock? what about losing 2 of your best players after 30 mins of the new season? not important only Bryson and Hughes.The team had finished 8th when Clement took over,when he was sacked they were 5th. I don't have any agenda,except success for this club. The players weren't unfit nor were they broken,they were in play-off position and 5 points behind the top 2.I presume you are acting as a spin doctor for the owner.You are sad.

I wouldn't disagree with that, other than to add we were clearly on a downward spiral.

I have my own mind thanks, and criticised the owner to his face. I am not fickle and never have been. The players themselves believed they were unfit, and that says they'd lost faith in the manager.

I don't yet know if Wassall is the right man, I just know 4 games and less than 3 weeks is far too soon to judge.

8 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

I wouldn't disagree with that, other than to add we were clearly on a downward spiral.

I have my own mind thanks, and criticised the owner to his face. I am not fickle and never have been. The players themselves believed they were unfit, and that says they'd lost faith in the manager.

I don't yet know if Wassall is the right man, I just know 4 games and less than 3 weeks is far too soon to judge.

Yes, man.

31 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Was going to post then saw you had said if perfectly. Totally dispirited and don't line what the 'Derby Way' currently is...Overpaid, underperforming...no clear plan...

Agree, I'm so angry with MM and his 'Derby Way', this league was there for the taking. I bet Burnley. Hull and Boro can't believe their luck; the best team went and pressed the self-destruct button. Take the highway Mel.

3 minutes ago, NS said:

Agree, I'm so angry with MM and his 'Derby Way', this league was there for the taking. I bet Burnley. Hull and Boro can't believe their luck; the best team went and pressed the self-destruct button. Take the highway Mel.

"Take the highway" can't believe what I am hearing on here! We have the best owner in the division full stop! Local businessman with nothing but derby at heart! 

When we were on our purple patch earlier on in the season a lot of fans were on here saying Mel wants to "make a quick profit" due to the money offered for promotion. That certainly can't be said now. Mel's actions over the past month has only made me back him more, and Iam sure the privileged few who went to Moor farm will back me up.

The plan is long term. And I'm sure every fan would much rather prefer you "taking the highway" not Mel! 

Get behind your team! 

4 hours ago, toddy said:

Sat top of the table 12 months ago, future looking rosy......have some injuries no support from owners to help Mac out and it starts to go pear shaped.

Mac then sacked.....by the board..... but behind the scenes when this took place there is a take over taking place and Mel comes in. I am 100% sure that Mel was aware and agreed to the sacking of Mac, as any major decision like sacking a coach would also be part of the negotiations for the new owner [this is common practice believe me].

New owner brings in new inexperienced coach and with good intentions spends millions of pounds, thinks its a good idea to do a changing room rant and undermine his coach and then sacks his new inexperienced coach for not playing the Derby way/not getting results/ not doing what he agreed to when he took the job/ not playing football that we were used to watching in the last 2 seasons[that was under Mac].

Now he replaces his chosen inexperienced coach for another inexperienced coach, but hey he's a family friend so its OK!

Brain Clough once said something about chairman of football clubs and its ringing true here.

He sacked McClaren because Mac was torn between here and Newcastle. Something loads of fans agreed with (not me btw). But all the moaners were in full force against Mac anyway. There were no funds in Jan because he'd already had them.

He spent millions because he works on a "no excuses" policy. Clement got what he wanted. It's not £25m that's hurt the club. It's what that £25m was spent on. Clement got the money, the players and the staff he wanted (remember some left) If he'd not spent £25m would you question his lack of spending like you have the January 2015 spending? Any coach is a gamble. New or old. 

Wassall is coach because he knows the players, he knows the philosophy. That's why he's in charge. Who said he's a family friend? The Mirror? 

Like I said, don't agree with everything he does but he's not out there putting hospital passes on the pitch. He picks the coach. And no coach guarantees anything. 

6 minutes ago, deanoakaram4life said:

"Take the highway" can't believe what I am hearing on here! We have the best owner in the division full stop! Local businessman with nothing but derby at heart! 

When we were on our purple patch earlier on in the season a lot of fans were on here saying Mel wants to "make a quick profit" due to the money offered for promotion. That certainly can't be said now. Mel's actions over the past month has only made me back him more, and Iam sure the privileged few who went to Moor farm will back me up.

The plan is long term. And I'm sure every fan would much rather prefer you "taking the highway" not Mel! 

Get behind your team! 

I've highlighted the part I most agree with, he's made his fortune and is well aware that he won't ever make a penny from his ownership. His ownership is nothing to do with making money, and everything to do with establishing the Rams in the top flight, purely because he's a Derby fan.

The underlined bit I simply can't agree with, to me he seems to be drowning, overwhelmed by the responsibility and not grasping that the techniques he's employed successfully in the business arena aren't transfering into the running of a football club.

For the good of the club, and himself, he should stay in the non-exec chairman role he stated he'd fulfill, and allow Sam Rush and John Vicars to get on with the day to day operations.

53 minutes ago, NS said:

what a stupid post.

You do realise that we fell way away from the top way before the Derby Way was properly publicised!

Blaming the "Derby Way" for the 'self-destruct' is pretty... well... sausaging ignorant!

I for one really want Mel as owner but I want him to go on to be massive for the club and gain legendary status in terms of Derby owners as he has the capacity to become but it is going to take massive self discipline simply because he is a fan just like us and as such I for one will cut him some slack while he finds his way ,, not saying I won't disagree if I think he is making any mistakes but I'm not up for blaming him for everything up to and including the gypsie s curse ,, not wanting him as owner is utter madness

2 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

You do realise that we fell way away from the top way before the Derby Way was properly publicised!

Blaming the "Derby Way" for the 'self-destruct' is pretty... well... sausaging ignorant!

Except for the fact Mel was badgering PC to play the 'Derby Way' even though we fans didn't know that.

3 hours ago, CHCDerby said:

Blaming any part of this on Wassall is unfair and calling him clueless isn't fair either.

Wassall is only doing what a man in his position would do, encourage and try to keep faith. When we do get a manager to replace him then he should go straight back to his previous role and every Derby supporter should appreciate what he was thrown into. 

There's no excuse for his vacuous, sycophantic interviews . At the very least he could say we have to do better.

Anyone who thinks the Derby Way wasn't well signposted should refer to the thread covering the 1st forum meeting with Mel in late spring.

He clearly states the path he wants the club to pursue, even if he doesn't give it the moniker.

4 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

lol 

the people saying Clement didn't deserve to be sacked are also saying Wassall didn't deserve to be given his job and should be sacked now.

Have a look at Clement's first 4 results, with optimism of a new season and new signings, now compare that with Wassall's first four results, trying repair a broken and unfit squad.

You are repeating your spin again,a complete travesty of the facts.You are so sad.Most of us are giving our honest opinions,no agendas,no spin except you.

When Clement took over we had just had a meltdown,players in shock,after being favourites we finished 8th.Clement had to repair the damage.In hus 1st game he lost Bryson and Hughes after 30 mins.After a slow start we went on a 19 game run where we lost once.In 10 consecutive games we kept 8 clean sheets and got to top.We hit a bad patch as did M'Boro,Hull,Burnley and Brighton.When he got sacked we were 5th and 5 points off the Autos.

Sorry Mostyn people deserve to hear the truth.Now who had the easiest job.They weren't broken by Clement,and they are worse now.

30 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

what a stupid post.

:wub:

We hadn't fallen away, we were 5 points off the top, we have fallen away now though.

MM had a tantrum at the Reading game and fell out with Clement. Decided to sack him with no Plan B in place, he then puts up a smokescreen about the 'Derby Way' and Clement not being on board. Two managers sacked in less than a year, is this the kind of Chairman we want, it's not the way to attract a future good manager, so expect some mid-table Championship mediocrity, that will match MM's ambitions nicely.

5 hours ago, LesterRam said:

its not an exacting science is it, you can spend 100's of millions into technically the best players in the world like Man Utd and still get your arsed kicked by Leicester who have spent next to nothing, if I knew the formula I would bottle it and make billions.

It's simple. You have a clear system/philosophy in your mind and you sign players befitting the system. If you can build a cohesive team you will succeed. Once you've built a team you sign players that are better versions of what you have. 

All money does is give you a greater pool of players you can potentially sign. It doesn't matter how much they cost or even their qualities, if their faces don't fit then it's a stupid buy. Take Ibrahimovic at Barcelona as an example. 

Archived