Well Done Mel!

dcfcgodd

I think the 'Mel has ruined the club' comments are daft to say the least. I also don't get the whole sensitivity some people have including Mel himself if he is criticised. Mistakes have certainly been made and he would do well to admit them (the stuff about clement being our Fergie   and his subsequent response to say he didn't regret that seems particularly disingenuous). I don't think you can criticise him for getting some guys off here and giving them some further insight and you can't criticise those guys for taking that opportunity. I think the brainwashing comments are unfair but those guys would do well to maintain a balanced opinion and perhaps be more accepting of others views regardless of the relationship/ connection they feel they may have forged with the club.

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Mel is probably great for the club - very emotive and passionate, but you don't sack clement in this league without a fantastic management option in the background. A knee jerk reaction but we have now played 4 games and we don't look like we have moved forward. 27-30,000 We average and Blackburn out played us in the 2nd half. 

lol 

the people saying Clement didn't deserve to be sacked are also saying Wassall didn't deserve to be given his job and should be sacked now.

Have a look at Clement's first 4 results, with optimism of a new season and new signings, now compare that with Wassall's first four results, trying repair a broken and unfit squad.

Just listened to Waffle Wassell, he is happy with 6 points this week forgetting we dropped 6 at home to MK Dons and Wolves who haven't won in 7 before today. 

Thats a perfect youth team post match speak to the under 14's.. Please Darren step back to your best job the Director of academy. 

Plus I thought Kevin Philips was helping with finishing !! 

7 minutes ago, Andrew James said:

I think Mel is probably great for the club - very emotive and passionate, but you don't sack clement in this league without a fantastic management option in the background. A knee jerk reaction but we have now played 4 games and we don't look like we have moved forward. 27-30,000 We average and Blackburn out played us in the 2nd half. 

No "probably" about it - he is great for the club, but has made mistakes. I would love to see a poll started, tomorrow once emotions have died down a little, to see how many of us think we will finish in the play off places. I am doubting it,Wassall doesn't inspire with his interviews, he lacks presence and having just played 4 successive games against poor teams, we have lost to two of them and scraped past another. I can't help but feel that we have the players-it's finding our best eleven and getting the best out of them. Any chance we will see our chairman risking the ridicule of the football world outside of Derby ( and some within the area) by bringing in an experienced head coach/manager for the rest of the season? I could understand, once the dust had settled, why Clement went but I just cannot understand what on earth inspired the chairman to give the job to Wassall until the end of the season. I have a season ticket so will continue to go but I  fear that the season will peter out to nothing ,and it was all so avoidable. The bottom team in the premier league next season gets £99,000,000. Nigel Pearson is a bit of a head case and I wouldn't want to argue with him in the pub but , right now, I wish we would compensate Leicester for his garden leave payout and bring him on board immediately. I don't see it happening but who knows? 

6 minutes ago, Arsene Titman said:

No "probably" about it - he is great for the club, but has made mistakes. I would love to see a poll started, tomorrow once emotions have died down a little, to see how many of us think we will finish in the play off places. I am doubting it,Wassall doesn't inspire with his interviews, he lacks presence and having just played 4 successive games against poor teams, we have lost to two of them and scraped past another. I can't help but feel that we have the players-it's finding our best eleven and getting the best out of them. Any chance we will see our chairman risking the ridicule of the football world outside of Derby ( and some within the area) by bringing in an experienced head coach/manager for the rest of the season? I could understand, once the dust had settled, why Clement went but I just cannot understand what on earth inspired the chairman to give the job to Wassall until the end of the season. I have a season ticket so will continue to go but I  fear that the season will peter out to nothing ,and it was all so avoidable. The bottom team in the premier league next season gets £99,000,000. Nigel Pearson is a bit of a head case and I wouldn't want to argue with him in the pub but , right now, I wish we would compensate Leicester for his garden leave payout and bring him on board immediately. I don't see it happening but who knows? 

Good post these players need a Nigel type manager and boy everytime we played Leicester we were swept aside with dynamic play and quick football. We have the players no doubt and I'm sure we can put a great run with the witch manager. 

I think we do need to cut Mel some slack. He's a rookie Chairman and owner. He's bound to make mistakes. His mistakes have cost him £millions so far. He's decided on a certain model for the club and is putting his money in to drive it through. My opinion is that his model won't work - most academies achieve little and the 'head coach' model only works when you have enough money and status to buy the very best players, meaning that anyone can coach them. Real Madrid, Man U, Inter Milan etc can get away with it - Derby County can't.

I believe that an experienced and probably dictatorial manager is the way to get out of the Championship. Keep the academy ticking over, but don't obsess over it. However, I could also be wrong - but we'll never know as I don't have a spare £100m to test out my theories. Which is the main point - Mel (hopefully) isn't ruining our club. He's ruining his bank balance. Whilst he is funding things and not running up debts for the club, we should support him and allow him to make and correct his mistakes. After all, he wants the same as we all do - promotion and entertaining football, followed by sustainability in the Premier League. We all have our own ideas on how best to achieve this, but the rest of us don't have those ideas tested. Mel's way hasn't worked do far, but that doesn't mean it won't eventually. Until the accounts indicate that Mel is putting the security of the club at risk, I'll support him...but can't promise that I won't whinge about his decisions.

Blaming any part of this on Wassall is unfair and calling him clueless isn't fair either.

Wassall is only doing what a man in his position would do, encourage and try to keep faith. When we do get a manager to replace him then he should go straight back to his previous role and every Derby supporter should appreciate what he was thrown into. 

15 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

I think we do need to cut Mel some slack. He's a rookie Chairman and owner. He's bound to make mistakes. His mistakes have cost him £millions so far. He's decided on a certain model for the club and is putting his money in to drive it through. My opinion is that his model won't work - most academies achieve little and the 'head coach' model only works when you have enough money and status to buy the very best players, meaning that anyone can coach them. Real Madrid, Man U, Inter Milan etc can get away with it - Derby County can't.

I believe that an experienced and probably dictatorial manager is the way to get out of the Championship. Keep the academy ticking over, but don't obsess over it. However, I could also be wrong - but we'll never know as I don't have a spare £100m to test out my theories. Which is the main point - Mel (hopefully) isn't ruining our club. He's ruining his bank balance. Whilst he is funding things and not running up debts for the club, we should support him and allow him to make and correct his mistakes. After all, he wants the same as we all do - promotion and entertaining football, followed by sustainability in the Premier League. We all have our own ideas on how best to achieve this, but the rest of us don't have those ideas tested. Mel's way hasn't worked do far, but that doesn't mean it won't eventually. Until the accounts indicate that Mel is putting the security of the club at risk, I'll support him...but can't promise that I won't whinge about his decisions.

Disagree with him being a rookie...  He's been around football long enough to know what's what... Invested when Billy was here... Invested just before PO final against QPR....

Think he should know better myself to be honest with some of his PR and spin. Still think as I've stated in May... too much too soon...

2 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Disagree with him being a rookie...  He's been around football long enough to know what's what... Invested when Billy was here... Invested just before PO final against QPR....

Think he should know better myself to be honest with some of his PR and spin. Still think as I've stated in May... too much too soon...

I don't think we even needed to break our transfer record to get out of this league let alone 3 times in one season. 

I don't think Mel Morris himself knows what he wants from the club TBH.

He hasn't got a plan to get out of the league, I don't buy into this "three year plan" crap the club has sprouted since 2008 either. It would have taken two or three quality additions, capable of playing the 433 system and a good, proven "head coach" and we'd have been promoted.

Johnson, Bent Weimann, Baird, Blackman, Camara (over 13 million in fees alone right there)- all signed for the sake of it and to show off "look, we have more money than you" to the rest of the division.

4 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

He's more of a rookie than Wassall or Clement. Both have been in football for a long time, but not as managers. Mel has been a junior shareholder for about five years - which is different to being the Chairman and owner. 

54 minutes ago, Leanne said:

Rome wasn't built in a day. Give wassall chance and give him credit.  I like that he is trusting in the team and playing the same players. Derby time will come. 

Are you kidding !! You must love watching a club throwing away a great chance to to get promoted. The challenge for Wassell as a manager is that the whole squad and him are all to familiar with each other. They now have to call him boss !! Everyone comes out and is PC with the cameras but they are all probably sniggering in their mansions and fast cars. 

Dont forget we will be playing Burton next year !!! Can't wait 

To be fair any transfer is a gamble. Some work out some dont. Some players arrive and their faces dont fit at clubs. 

Everyone would have thought Angel Di Maria would have been class at united. It just didnt work out sometimes they dont 

on paper some of our signings look class but for whatever reason they havent worked so far but we'd all be creaming up right now if they had. 

Some players also take time to settle. Its nice to think 'well if your a professional footballer you should be able to play straight away' but sometimes it doesnt work like that. To use united as an example again Andy Cole was dire in his first full season at united then went on to become a legend. Maybe some of the lads will come good maybe some are just bad buys. I'll fully judge out january buys next year after a run of games 

26 minutes ago, Andrew James said:

Di Maria was class at Man U, LVG didn't like him but what I saw when he played he looked superb.  

That was sort of the problem with Di Maria actually. I watched many of Real Madrid's games under Ancelotti throughout their 13/14 season and more often than not watching Di Maria could be infuriating with the number misplaced passes and odd decisions (such as opting for a shot rather than a pass 9 out of 10 times and you'd see half his teammates have a go at him, and I'm not including Ronaldo when I say that), and then sometimes he had those moments of brilliance. 

For example, for every 1 good moment, he'd have 2 or 3 moments such as having a shot so off target it would leave the stadium!  :lol:

CheapMaleAntelopegroundsquirrel.gif

Archived