Starting to think Wassall is the man for us .

Curtains

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Gritters said:

Not sure what the tactics were but I suppose Wassall didn't expect to go 1 up after 7 mins. After that we were pretty awful. Just looking at why MM sacked Clement I'd give Wassall couple of weeks.

Following MM reasoning following will happen 

Wassell to have weekly meetings and be told plan is not being adhered to.

MM then thinks very hard how to explain dismissing Manager for hopefully rescuing our season, but ignoring the Plan.

over promotion in any walk of life is dangerous, as hard to go back to previous role. To me it was very telling that Wassell said in an interview that he has a guarantee that if needed he can go back to his old job. Really hope we can improve as apart from the goal we were merely workmanlike, strong and gutsy. Nowhere near the performance levels we had 12 months ago. 

I admire Wassell's enthusiasm but I laughed out loud at start of his Radio Derby interview. Honeymoon period allows it I guess

most exciting thing for me in second half was watching the coaches on the bench take turns in speaking to the gaffer, or in his absence addressing the players themselves. Zuberbuhler addressing Chris Martin being a particular highlight! 

Where has this perception come from that we played poorly/mediocre for much of Clement's reign?

Yeh it perhaps wasn't as fluid as Steve McClaren's first season, but people are making out the football against Blackburn and Brentford was much better than it was under Clement.

Under Clement didn't we look fairly comfortable against Cardiff, Brentford, Huddersfield, Wolves, Rotherham, QPR and Reading among others? Seems his latter run has clouded people's minds.

Blackburn had 16 efforts on goal, the most any Championship side has had against us at the iPro this season.

5 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Where has this perception come from that we played poorly/mediocre for much of Clement's reign?

Yeh it perhaps wasn't as fluid as Steve McClaren's first season, but people are making out the football against Blackburn and Brentford was much better than it was under Clement.

Under Clement didn't we look fairly comfortable against Cardiff, Brentford, Huddersfield, Wolves, Rotherham, QPR and Reading among others? Seems his latter run has clouded people's minds.

Blackburn had 16 efforts on goal, the most any Championship side has had against us at the iPro this season.

It's the latter run under Clement that has caused the collapse in morale. Perhaps it's Wassall's enthusiasm that is infectious and it's rubbing off on the players - although it's a pity none of the bugger's rubbing off in certain other directions.

Good win last night. 

Better team won the game. 

Blackburn huffed and puffed but Derby had the better clear cut chances and Blackburn very direct with long throws into the box etc which we stood up to well  

Jacob scored great goal and I got the prediction league scorelinre right. 

Wassalls enthusiasm is infectious .

Well done  Darren 

7 hours ago, Penelope Pendrex said:

The most worrying part of Wassall's gushing interview (imagine how excited he'll get when we actually play well) was when he mentioned that Bent would have started were he not ill. Probably wouldn't have won tonight if that was the case.

yes, let's criticise Wassall for probably not winning if he'd have probably picked a player he didn't pick!

5 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

My perception that we played poorly for most of Clements reign came from watching the matches.

Just now, TroyDyer said:

I think Wassalls interviews are as worrying as the performances. There is trying to focus on positives, and then there is trying to polish a turd. 

As long as he's honest with the players I couldn't give a crap what he says in the interviews. I found PC's honesty refreshing but just because it's refreshing does it really help? Not sure. Surely if it really helped every manager would be painfully honest after every game. Most managers do what Wassall does. 

It's pretty evident that Wassall is trying to raise morale and belief across the camp. Yes his interviews come across like an excited puppy but I completely understand what he's trying to do. 

Its obvious that clement had smashed whatever team spirit we had into the floor, Wassalls hardly going to help that if he comes out and says "we we're *****, especially so and so, crap performance" not exactly going to help is it? 

Hes Been in charge for 3 games and won 2 of them, leave the poor sod alone 

3 minutes ago, Derbados said:

It's pretty evident that Wassall is trying to raise morale and belief across the camp. Yes his interviews come across like an excited puppy but I completely understand what he's trying to do. 

Its obvious that clement had smashed whatever team spirit we had into the floor, Wassalls hardly going to help that if he comes out and says "we we're *****, especially so and so, crap performance" not exactly going to help is it? 

Hes Been in charge for 3 games and won 2 of them, leave the poor sod alone 

On what evidence exactly? Because he took a couple of weight machines out of a gym? The team were on a run of 8 games without a win, crowd booing them off the pitch, regardless of who was in charge they would look deflated. I think you'd of seen confidence grow and the players look happier if they won the past two games with Clement in charge also. Not everyone has taken the bait on the "derby way".

7 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

My perception that we played poorly for most of Clements reign came from watching the matches.

Did we play poorly in the games mentioned above? You can add Birmingham (A), Boro (H), Burnley (H) and Brighton (H) to the other games where we were hardly poor.

From Boxing Day onwards we certainly weren't the same side. We sat too deep, morale was pretty low and we failed to create many chances if any from open play.

But that doesn't mean we were poor throughout the campaign. I've named plenty of games where we created a bunch of chances, and looked comfortable throughout.

5 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Did we play poorly in the games mentioned above? You can add Birmingham (A), Boro (H), Burnley (H) and Brighton (H) to the other games where we were hardly poor.

From Boxing Day onwards we certainly weren't the same side. We sat too deep, morale was pretty low and we failed to create many chances if any from open play.

But that doesn't mean we were poor throughout the campaign. I've named plenty of games where we created a bunch of chances, and looked comfortable throughout.

Those 3 games, whilst not exactly poor, we were just about hitting average.

6 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Wolves, Brentford and Bristol City are the only home games where I think we put in anything like a decent performance.

I go to football to be entertained.

The style Clement used was a disaster waiting to happen. The fact that we never came from behind was no coincidence.

Archived