Bucko

4 minutes ago, iBrows said:

Morning all, first post on here.

Looking forward to seeing Bucko back in a Derby shirt and lining up for us again. I cannot see any change in RK & JS so his way back into the Starting XI would be through a change of system or an unfortunate injury.

I believe it is his last season on contract, maybe wrong, but i'd love to see him get an extension. He is exactly the type of player that we need around the place and could be the main person around camp who epitomises the 'Derby Way'.

1 more season after this.

http://dcfcfans.uk/topic/7344-derby-county-squad-contract-dates/?page=1

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our 4-3-3 was more like 3-5-2 anyway when used correctly anyway. Eustace would drop deep. The full-back's would push on for the overlap. Martin would come deep. The wingers would tuck inside. 

The average player positions on whoscored.com show this as well. 

13 minutes ago, cannable said:

Our 4-3-3 was more like 3-5-2 anyway when used correctly anyway. Eustace would drop deep. The full-back's would push on for the overlap. Martin would come deep. The wingers would tuck inside. 

So apart from static wingers who can't currently tuck in a baby, and playing most of the season so far with a LB who can't overlap,  and Martin having to go wide /in the box/anywhere but deep, we aint far off!

Go for it dazza - you know it makes sense. 

It's incredible how some players' reputations goes up after a spell on the sidelines eg. Kompany and for others, their reputation goes down.

Jake Buxton has always had his fair share of detractors at Derby and I think unjustly so.

Apparently we cannot possibly leave out Shackell for Buxton. Why not? We are not defending well and it's not just that we are poor in the final third, we don't look particularly sure at the back.

It may be controversial, but I think that Buxton is our best defender. His game is suited to this league. He defends. He's tough, he's no nonsense and despite a couple of individual mistakes in his final few games for Derby, he's very reliable. i might add that his distribution is up there with the very best and comfortably above Shackell.

We have three top-class Championship defenders in Keogh, Shackell and Buxton. I feel it is on price tag that Buxton isn't getting a look in. That certainly seems to be the case with some fans.

Defend first.

Bucko is our most complete CB for our style of play. He also raises the games of those around him through encouragement and passion. We could do a lot worse than stick him back in to be honest. Team is low on confidence and disjointed, Bucko's attitude could be a game changer for us right now. We need a boost and some leadership.

What about trying Bucko at cdm? His passing is better than most at the club and with either foot. His tackling is as good as any one else. He be a useful addition when attacking and defending set pieces. 

Sure, he can get turned sometimes, but he'll have cover behind him, unlike when he's at CD. 

4 minutes ago, ram59 said:

What about trying Bucko at cdm? His passing is better than most at the club and with either foot. His tackling is as good as any one else. He be a useful addition when attacking and defending set pieces. 

Sure, he can get turned sometimes, but he'll have cover behind him, unlike when he's at CD. 

Oh god no he can't play in there, he played there once when he came off the bench once and glad he's a CB than CDM. 

Carson

Keogh       Shackell       Buxton

Thorne      Johnson

Christie                                                 Olsson

Butterfield

Blackman           Martin

Sexy

On 16/02/2016 at 09:11, McLovin said:

Agreed. I personally believe that 3-5-2 is the way to go as well, no point playing 4-3-3 when it is not working

But the problem isn't the formation - it's the style of football that's being played.  Neither the slow cautious possession-focussed Clement style, or the very direct style we played in parts against MK Dons will work with the current crop of players, whether we play 3-5-2, 4-3-3, 4-4-2 or anything else.

If Bucko was fully fit, I would drop Shackell for him. Shackell and Johnson ponderous distribution are the reason we are playing badly.

Pretty much everyone agrees we are playing badly due to the slow tempo of our play. These two are the two most guilty at slowing down our play.

On 16/02/2016 at 10:49, cannable said:

@duncanjwitham 

Yes but we no longer play 4-3-3, its more 4-5-1:

2YG9qnF.png

We have been playing with the wide men far too deep for it to be 4-3-3 and that is part of the reason for the isolated Martin.

During Mac's time at the club we played like this:

Po88ZSJ.png

Just looking at the starting positions its no wonder there was more service for Martin.

Like I said a couple of pages back, I would like to see us go 3-5-2:

M4nb2b4.png

Failing that I would be happy with getting our wide men pushed further up the field in that true 4-3-3 lineup.

I like the formation and think it would serve us better, would change up personal a bit though.

I'd go:

Carson

Keogh         Shackell        Buxton

Thorne      Butterfield

Chrisite                                               Olsson

Ince

Martin

Blackman    

24 minutes ago, RicME85 said:

@duncanjwitham 

Yes but we no longer play 4-3-3, its more 4-5-1:

2YG9qnF.png

We have been playing with the wide men far too deep for it to be 4-3-3 and that is part of the reason for the isolated Martin.

During Mac's time at the club we played like this:

Po88ZSJ.png

Just looking at the starting positions its no wonder there was more service for Martin.

Like I said a couple of pages back, I would like to see us go 3-5-2:

M4nb2b4.png

Failing that I would be happy with getting our wide men pushed further up the field in that true 4-3-3 lineup.

Like the 3-5-2, just swap Shackell and Bucko over?!

352 is my favourite formation because it offers the most flexibility. Fairly minimal changes and you can flood the midfield or get bodies behind the ball or man mark a couple of players or push the opposition defence back - whatever the match conditions require at the time.

Yet, there's no way that I'd switch to that system two thirds through a season. It takes time, planning and practice to work properly. We would need to play it all the way through pre-season and even then it would take about five competitive matches to bed in - which is OK early season because most teams are doing something similar. Try it now and we'd just get battered. 

I think the system might suit a lot of the players, but Chris Martin is not mobile enough for the formation. There would also be a problem with he centre backs. For a start we've only really got three, so any injuries or suspensions would be very disruptive - although I suppose Baird could play if needed. There are also two real ways of organising the back three - sweeper and two centre backs, or a straight back three. I don't see any 'Igor' in our squad so the sweeper style is probably out. In a back three, the outer two generally cover outside, which requires some pace. Keogh would be fine, but both Buxton and Shackell would really struggle.

Overall, if I were the manager I'd definitly start next season playing 352 having trained and shaped the squad accordingly, but there's no way I'd switch to it now. Far better to go for 433, but in the McLaren style, for the remainder of this season. 

Archived