Composure

rammieib

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, hiltonram said:

At least he he is getting into those positions which creates opportunities because the other wide players arn't. Also he is the only wide player that gets back and helps out the full back.

Seriously?

31 minutes ago, sage said:

At the moment he is better than Camara. I didn't slag Camara off. Merely pointed out that Russell is better. Wind yer neck in. 

Nice bit of composure that. You and your mate Uttox wont intimidate me :lol:

Many years ago, there was a statistic going around that in 1-on-1 situations, the average striker scores 1 out of 10, Jimmy Greaves used to score 9 out of 10.

Don't know how true it was but there must be a 'knack', as in Le Tissier's penalty stats. We shouldn't be too hard on Russell.

For me like many I love Johnny for his energy and all action manner, but his miss at the end wasn't the only time the ball ran away from him or his touch wasn't quite there. How many saw him thump the ground in the first half (right in front of the mixed zone I was in), when the ball went away from him?

Johnny needs some credit, he never seems to hide to me, gets in the right positions busting a gut or not. Maybe it's composure that comes with confidence. As a previous poster mentioned, really hope someone like Phillips will benefit in that respect as far too soon to be writing him off. He's got plenty to offer and surely can be coached, score a few goals maybe the touch and confidence will improve.

There are not many in this league much better and haven't seen enough of Camara to compare him, so I'd certainly hope we persevere with Russell, there's a decent player bursting to thrive in him.  

1 minute ago, Zag zig said:

For me like many I love Johnny for his energy and all action manner, but his miss at the end wasn't the only time the ball ran away from him or his touch wasn't quite there. How many saw him thump the ground in the first half (right in front of the mixed zone I was in), when the ball went away from him?

Johnny needs some credit, he never seems to hide to me, gets in the right positions busting a gut or not. Maybe it's composure that comes with confidence. As a previous poster mentioned, really hope someone like Phillips will benefit in that respect as far too soon to be writing him off. He's got plenty to offer and surely can be coached, score a few goals maybe the touch and confidence will improve.

There are not many in this league much better and haven't seen enough of Camara to compare him, so I'd certainly hope we persevere with Russell, there's a decent player bursting to thrive in him.  

Are you seriously suggesting you can't think of at least half a dozen 'wide' players in the Championship who you would prefer to JR?

2 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Are you seriously suggesting you can't think of at least half a dozen 'wide' players in the Championship who you would prefer to JR?

Current form yes I accept there is, potentially I think Russell could be as good as anyone in this league. For that reason I'd like us to persevere and help his touch improve. It may not happen, as with Sturridge, but forgive me for hoping it does. I'd like to see how far he can go with us, are you suggesting he is beyond improvement?

4 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

Current form yes I accept there is, potentially I think Russell could be as good as anyone in this league. For that reason I'd like us to persevere and help his touch improve. It may not happen, as with Sturridge, but forgive me for hoping it does. I'd like to see how far he can go with us, are you suggesting he is beyond improvement?

I like JR - you can't question his enthusiasm and commitment to the club but he's in his 3rd full season with us and I don't see the improvement neeed if he's going to be a regular starter

I think it's funny that fans are on johnnys back when reality is he controlled it beautifully and kept the ball at speed and created a great scoring chance. Suarez he is not Vardy he is not Rooney he is not. Plus he hasn't exactly been playing much has he? 

We have far bigger problems.

15 hours ago, sage said:
22 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

I like JR - you can't question his enthusiasm and commitment to the club but he's in his 3rd full season with us and I don't see the improvement neeed if he's going to be a regular starter

He's still better than Camara, Blackman and Weimann.

JR has no doubt got bags of enthusiasm, his running shows his commitment, but sometimes those two attributes are just not enough. Skill is the other third which should be in your statement, that is missing in his game.

As far as, he is better than Blackman, I totally disagree, its just we are not getting the best from Blackman since his arrival.

There were snippets of what he is capable of in the UTD game, before one of Paul Clement gaffs took him off.

20 minutes ago, Ninos said:

I think it's funny that fans are on johnnys back when reality is he controlled it beautifully and kept the ball at speed and created a great scoring chance. Suarez he is not Vardy he is not Rooney he is not. Plus he hasn't exactly been playing much has he? 

We have far bigger problems.

You think that's being on JRs' back? He's worth a place on the bench, nothing more!

I have much greater concerns about the likes of Ince and Johnson, players who, by our previous spending, have cost huge fees which to date have not been remotely justified.

1 hour ago, Zag zig said:

But just how long are you prepared to wait? He's had 4 years, three managers, and his touch hasn't really improved since day one.

Its difficult when you have favourite players (JR used to be one of them) but you have to look at the team and actually realistically say how many players could and should we be doing better than.

JR had a golden opportunity yesterday to win that game - the goaly even made it easier for the striker IMO to score. All he had to do was look up, have some composure and dink it over the keeper. Instead what did we get - a toe poke after losing an element of control which went straight into the keeper.

If that's good enough in anyone eyes - we won't be good enough as a team to ever go up.

1 hour ago, toddy said:

JR has no doubt got bags of enthusiasm, his running shows his commitment, but sometimes those two attributes are just not enough. Skill is the other third which should be in your statement, that is missing in his game.

As far as, he is better than Blackman, I totally disagree, its just we are not getting the best from Blackman since his arrival.

There were snippets of what he is capable of in the UTD game, before one of Paul Clement gaffs took him off.

He's a better left winger than Blackman. That's for sure. 

Unfortunately Ince, Blackman, Russell and Weimann all prefer to play on the right.

2 minutes ago, sage said:

He's a better left winger than Blackman. That's for sure. 

Unfortunately Ince, Blackman, Russell and Weimann all prefer to play on the right.

I bet Blackman and Weimann will say they prefer upfront and Ince centrally behind.

Archived