Premiership quality

mumblemumble

It's not just that they put out a strong team, it's that they decided they were going to be arsed and actually try to getthrough in this competition.

Not only did we have to play well - and I don't think we played bad, Man Utd played something like their level as well.

We scored a good goal, had spells when we did get the rattled and put in an effort - in a cup tie vs a big side you can't ask for more.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, harryram said:

I'd say warnock if was a bit younger another decent performance tonite. Thorne didn't look out of place if he was fitter but this is the most games he has played in a season so could be having an effect on him

Warnock defended exceptionally well however gives nothing going forward 

How come christie is suddenly getting criticised again?

He got absolutely no support in dealing with martial. Martial was almost unplayable. There was even an argument for withdrawing ince and bringing on baird to help christie. But we did nothing and ultimately paid a price.

despite getting skinned I thought he did quite well.

The most notable difference I saw between the two teams was the difference in the speed they got players around the ball. Thorne was a good example of this, I thought he a decentish game but also quite a few mistakes mainly due to having Utd players on him straight away. Thorne has the technical ability to step up I think but fitness (he looked very leggy) and mobility will be his issue.

We have a longer term plan - first we have to actually get to the Premier League but then it will be all about those vital first 2 years of surviving and building a team that can stay there - look at teams like Palace, Stoke, Leicester - all flirted with top 6 this year and Leicester now odds-on to make the Champions League..

Small steps - we need to get there first

I think they gave a good account of themselves for the majority of the game. Lets not forget, were not trying to be as good as the man utd's, chelsea's, Man city's, Leic's (:lol:) of this world.

We have to model ourselves on the likes of southampton, stoke, west ham etc.

That's going to be hard enough. But overall I saw enough to suggest that with 1 or 3 top signings, if we go up, we would be ok.

I think 38 games is a bit different from an FA cup game against one of the best sides in the league who were up for it as its the only real trophy they can win thisseason (europa doesnt count) 

united have been terrible but on paper they still have some fantastic individual talent. 

If we went up we'd have to beat the teams around us and before our January form we'd all be confident of potentially beating or getting something against the likes of sunderland, watford, villa, bournmouth WBA etc. 

I think hughes, butters & thorne would be good enough. Shacks has proven he's good enough for a battling prem side and was one of burnleys best players. At a push the likes of carson, christie (wouldnt be against martial everyweek), fozzy, hendrick are good enough & on their day ince, russell and johnson have the potential to be good enough depending on if they turn up. 

We'd need at least a solid centre back an experienced midfielder and a decent striker. But the likes of Bournemouth etc are having a go so why couldnt we with additions it wouldnt be easy but i certainly dont think we'd be whipping boys again which is all of our biggest fears.

i dont think martin would be good enough, fantastic in this division but unsure if he's mobile and quick enough for the prem and has looked out of his depth for scotland. Potentially another steve howard if we went up but would love to be proven wrong. The likes of hendrick have held their own on the international stage against supposedly better players than in this division. Just dont think its all doom and gloom if we go up and we're bound to strengthen. Some players might suprisingly suit higher level football 

On ‎30‎/‎01‎/‎2016 at 09:22, Srg said:

They are in general, but not the team they put out. Martial, Borthwick-Jackson, Varela and Lingard are all very very quick. 

I meant more the style of play, maybe it was the occasion and atmosphere?

Archived