Premiership quality

mumblemumble

Just got back from the match.

I thought the lads gave it a good go, we had spells in which we were the better team but overall United controlled and dictated the play. Ultimately their quality shone through.

The one thing I have taken away from the game is the difference in quality between the Champsionship and the Premiership. Before tonight I would have said 8 of our players would be able to step up into the premiership but now I'm not so sure. 

For me, only Carson, Shackell, Thorne & Hughes could make the big step.

Am I being too harsh by judging these players against world class opponents or is the gap really that big?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Depends what you are judging them against, United if you believe all the press  are a poor team, however if you look beyond that, you will see a team managed  by a world class manager that is currently sitting 5th in the PL and has only lost once to a lower league team in the FA cup for many a year.  Add to that the fact that we have a team devoid of confidence, playing in front of supporters who expected us to dominate this game, then it's no surprise that we don't look a top 6 PL side.  

We were second in every department today, but this is not the benchmark we should be setting ourself against, we need to get out of this league first and a lot of fans seem to have forgot have difficult that can be, and for some reason think we are a PL club already.

Thorne is a bit of a stretch. Nice goal, but he gives the ball away a lot. His passing is very inconsistent for that level. 

I think in time Ince will be ready, Hughes as well. The rest, I'm not certain about to be honest. Maybe Carson Shakell and Butterfield. Bent obviously has played there before. 

If you look at the teams of Bournemouth and Norwich I think we could match them now. Say, three good new guys that gel with our current team we could do as well as the before mentioned teams are doing now. That is being above the relegation line.

Especially in a game that we didn't have time to relax on the ball whatsoever. King George VII showed what a Premiership class player he was tonight with a surging attacking run and clinical finish into the net... from a DM.

If I was gay, I'd violate the, George Louis Elliot Thorne, the player for me... der der der der...

1 hour ago, Cisse said:

If you look at the teams of Bournemouth and Norwich I think we could match them now. Say, three good new guys that gel with our current team we could do as well as the before mentioned teams are doing now. That is being above the relegation line.

Right now we are struggling to match Birmingham City and Burnley. I posted an  assessment of our first team squad earlier this week. We are in my opinion at least 6 players short of premier league potential. 

I don't want to judge us on tonight. Manchester United ( LVG witch hunt or not) are a top 6 outfit with a number of world class players. It's a little out of balance to try and estimate if we would be good enough or not playing such a good side. Sure they are not in Scholes, Cantona, Vidic class but they are still very useful. 

9 minutes ago, JW37 said:

The one worrying thing was making one of the slowest teams in the PL look quick.

They are in general, but not the team they put out. Martial, Borthwick-Jackson, Varela and Lingard are all very very quick. 

10 hours ago, Leeds Ram said:

Depends what you are judging them against, United if you believe all the press  are a poor team, however if you look beyond that, you will see a team managed  by a world class manager that is currently sitting 5th in the PL and has only lost once to a lower league team in the FA cup for many a year.  Add to that the fact that we have a team devoid of confidence, playing in front of supporters who expected us to dominate this game, then it's no surprise that we don't look a top 6 PL side.  

We were second in every department today, but this is not the benchmark we should be setting ourself against, we need to get out of this league first and a lot of fans seem to have forgot have difficult that can be, and for some reason think we are a PL club already.

8 hours ago, I Am Sheep said:

Especially in a game that we didn't have time to relax on the ball whatsoever. King George VII showed what a Premiership class player he was tonight with a surging attacking run and clinical finish into the net... from a DM.

If I was gay, I'd violate the, George Louis Elliot Thorne, the player for me... der der der der...

Only journos trying to sensationalise the season to sell papers argue United are a poor side.

Certainly should sell more papers than "this isn't one of the better United sides".

For mine, it certainly highlighted the gulf in class between the elite end of the Premiership and the Championship.  United always looked to have another gear even when we were matching it with them,

But there are two reasons that's the wrong comparison. First, if we go up, we won't be looking to match it with the upper echelon. We will be satisfied if we're no better than the fourth worst side in the Premiership. To do that, no doubt Mel will be digging deep once again and there are some obvious candidates for Championship level players  (don't anyone mention Keogh) or Christie). But this time last season, Leicester looked dead and buried and, essentially, one striker hitting the motherlode later, they're still way up there...

Archived