Derby County v Preston North End

Chris Mills

Had a lot of these in the last 2-3 years,but this really does feel like MUST WIN GAME! Signs against Burnley that confidence was coming back slightly, passing a lot better,but a 4-1 defeat,however unlucky their goals were,knocked us again, followed by limp display v Utd.Any hopes of promotion are deluded if we can't beat Preston at home.Think 4-4-2,more width,more pace,are needed BUT it's not too long ago that the players and system were picking up points at will.For me,Clement could be good enough to get us back to the promised land.His only big mistake as been resting too many players at Leeds for the Boro game.Sure we would have won at Elland Road,and taken that 3points and confidence onto Boro.

For this game I think he'll stick to the tried and tested.Can see only two changes from Friday night,just for some extra mobility

Carson

Christie.            Keogh.           Shackell.          Warnock

Thorne

Hendrick.                     Johnson

Ince.                             Martin.                          Camara

Subs

Grant,Baird, Olsen,Buxton, Butterfield, Russell, Blackman

Going to be very tense on Tuesday....... First goal massive!!!

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd go with this, players playing in their most comfortable positions, including BJ!

Carson

Baird         Keogh    Shacks       Warnock

Thorne 

Butterfield           Hendrick

Ince                                            Johnson

Martin 

Harsh on Christie perhaps,but he appears to do well going forward without actually achieving anything.

Johnson lucky to stay in based on recent form, but until we try him where he's been most effective in the past its unfair to single him out.

Will need Ince and Johnson to 'do doggies' to make it work, especially as any midfield with Jeff in is a man light defensively, but we can flog them a bit knowing we've got Blackman, Russell and Camara on the bench as replacements. 

Difficult to understand why Bent isn't on the bench. I'd have him in my team with Martin, however we choose the formation and go with it.

4-3-3 it's Ince, Martin and Blackman, Thorne, Hendrick and Butterfield.

4-2-3-1 its Bent, Martin, Ince, Blackman, Thorne, Butterfield. 

Its time to go out there and dominate. Attack teams from the off, commit forward, be aggressive. Olsson in for Warnock to give us more going forward.

My suspicion though is it will be the same 11. If Johnson starts, I'll begin to wonder if he has a must play clause!

Preston are garbage i'd be disapointed if we dont attack from the off & get back to winning ways. No need to knock it about and slow the tempo just get forward. We turned our season around at preston we'll turn it around again on Tuesday 

Revolution at this stage for me.

Carson

Christie       Keogh          Shackell      Warnock

Thorne    Butterfield

Ince             Weimann          Camara

Martin

The problem in recent weeks has been that Martin has been so isolated up top. Having Weimann around him should solve that issue. So while technically Weimann is playing the number 10 role, he at times will be playing further forward than Martin giving Chris a bit more space. 

Camara is there as he's a more traditional winger so rather than looking to cut inside every time, he'll pick the ball up, take on his man and put a cross in; Which we've been lacking.

We were successful in 13/14 because whenever Martin received the ball, you could guarantee he had at least 2 men going beyond him making runs, allowing Chris to pick them out and that made us extremely dangerous. Recently he's not had a man within 10 yards of him so has been struggling to make an impact.

When Thorne scored on Friday, the goal was created by a runner from midfield, albeit our holding one which is rare but it shows that if we take attacking risks, it makes us far more dangerous. Our midfielders have been too tentative recently and look scared to go forward for fear of losing possession.

Carson 

Christie Keogh Shackell Olsson  

Thorne Hanson

Ince            Butterfield      Russell

Martin

I'm 100% sure that Preston are going to park the bus and are going to try and play on the counter against us so having Hanson and Thorne back will try and help stop that. I also really rate Hanson and think that he would be great in a 4-2-3-1 next to Thorne, helping him to protect the defence and start off attacks.

Pushing Butterfield closer to Martin will hopefully stop him being totally isolated and help him bring other players into the play and bringing in a fresh Russell will hopefully add a lot to our attack.

Warnock gets dropped to give him a break and Johnson gets dropped due to his poor form, but I wouldn't mind him being bought on for Russell later on to see him in that position.

Big game for Clement now and it really should be a game that we win.

39 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

Revolution at this stage for me.

Carson

Christie       Keogh          Shackell      Warnock

Thorne    Butterfield

Ince             Weimann          Camara

Martin

The problem in recent weeks has been that Martin has been so isolated up top. Having Weimann around him should solve that issue. So while technically Weimann is playing the number 10 role, he at times will be playing further forward than Martin giving Chris a bit more space. 

Camara is there as he's a more traditional winger so rather than looking to cut inside every time, he'll pick the ball up, take on his man and put a cross in; Which we've been lacking.

We were successful in 13/14 because whenever Martin received the ball, you could guarantee he had at least 2 men going beyond him making runs, allowing Chris to pick them out and that made us extremely dangerous. Recently he's not had a man within 10 yards of him so has been struggling to make an impact.

When Thorne scored on Friday, the goal was created by a runner from midfield, albeit our holding one which is rare but it shows that if we take attacking risks, it makes us far more dangerous. Our midfielders have been too tentative recently and look scared to go forward for fear of losing possession.

A 2-man midfield - we will hardly get a touch of the ball. We need 4 genuine midfielders, at least 2 who are able to regularly break forward and support the forward players when we have the ball. I would go Thorne, Butterfield, Bryson and either Johnson or Hendrick, with Martin and Ince up top

5 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

A 2-man midfield - we will hardly get a touch of the ball. We need 4 genuine midfielders, at least 2 who are able to regularly break forward and support the forward players when we have the ball. I would go Thorne, Butterfield, Bryson and either Johnson or Hendrick, with Martin and Ince up top

We didn't when we went on our unbeaten run earlier in the season?

3 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

We didn't when we went on our unbeaten run earlier in the season?

Which isn't working and we have a striker who, penalty apart, hasn't scored for a dozen or so games because we're no longer playing to his strengths

Same line-up as against Man U, with the exception of Hendrick in for Johnson. Man needs to be prepared to fight for his place, regardless of price tag. Thought Thorne was excellent and Butterfield also looked very good, neither deserve to be dropped. 

Was it not Preston who we beat earlier this season which started our run of good form? Appropriate timing that we should play them now. 

Looking forward to the game, COYR.

5 hours ago, Ambitious said:

You know things are going well when no two fans can pick the same starting eleven and nearly every single player in the team is being questioned - even the likes of Chris Martin. 

The whole thing is a mess. 

Just because a few fans can't agree on team selection,nothing new there, doesn't make it a mess.

This is a huge game for PC - it's more important for him than all the players , fans and everyone else put together. 

he really needs a performance to retain credibility at the moment and a score line to rebuild confidence and get us back on track

it doesn't matter to me who plays and who plays where. I just want to see a team- led positive performance of attacking football with a simple game plan that we stick to and that the players believe in.

ive found it quite hard work following the Rams over recent weeks and would dearly like that to change 

Archived