Derby County v Preston North End

Chris Mills

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we need to learn lession from past games when were defanding I think were always better higher up the pitch which is taking the preasure of scott carson or lee grant so they can see what is happening infront of them. But our midfield need to try and provide service to our wingers and our strikers. Like on friday when geouge thorn scored he ran past martin and which opened room for chris martin to give the ball to geouge thorn to score. And like with blackmen when he got the service when tried to volly it but fluffed it. Tom ince when got the chance to pass it he rather go himself or pass to someone else. Perhaps like other derby fans been saying is to try 442 as martin and blackmen could switch roles when one is looking to make runs other one could try dropping back and picking up the ball. And laying it other one looking to making the which might help open up oppsition up and creating chances.

Don't underestimate Preston especially away from home, considering they came up via the Play Offs they've easily done a great deal better so far this season than the other two teams that came up automatically last season. They are a tight ship under Grayson & certainly don't concede many goals. We will have to be creative to beat them, & with confindence obviously low at the moment that may prove difficult. As we've proved so many times already this season if we score first we should be fine. Let's hope we do.

We dont play with a striker, we play with a forward, a defensive one at that.

Like on friday when geouge thorn scored he ran past martin and which opened room for chris martin to give the ball to geouge thorn to score.

Thorne was about a foot or two more advanced than Martin. Martin didnt give the ball to Thorne, he lobbed it back in to an area where he believed Ince was but to Throne has he carried on running whereas Ince was pretty stationary.

The only thing I agree with is the defence pushing up, they are sat too deep and being overly reliant on Thorne to help them get the ball out. Too much of our possession and completed passes are happening in the triangle between Thorne, Shackell and Keogh, of late they have been making it a diamond by bringing the keeper into play too.

Get our starting positions right and the rest will come. 

442. The stock answer to all problems ever. We don't play 442. We don't have the players for 442. It won't magic players into the final third.

We play 433. And you can do everything in a 433 that you can do in a 442. Everything. 

5 hours ago, Alpha said:

442. The stock answer to all problems ever. We don't play 442. We don't have the players for 442. It won't magic players into the final third.

We play 433. And you can do everything in a 433 that you can do in a 442. Everything. 

If anything, the way we've been playing, its guaranteed to have a player less in the final third.

Just leave Keogh and Carson at the back to distribute, Thorne to protect them, and have everyone else on the shoulder of the last defender. At least it would be entertaining. 

3 minutes ago, AnimalisaRam said:

Sounds like the Franchise vs Chelsea game last night..

Didn't watch it, had far better things to do than watch the BBC inevitably patronise a championship team. 

On another note, there would be something pleasing about ending our second out of form section of the season against the same team we ended the first.

19 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Didn't watch it, had far better things to do than watch the BBC inevitably patronise a championship team. 

On another note, there would be something pleasing about ending our second out of form section of the season against the same team we ended the first.

I didn't watch it, but driving back to the Shire from a weekend's canoeing in London meant I could listen from start to finish.

Have just read Jesse Lingard's explanation of MU's tactics against us. No surprise that they decided to play with freedom and attack us.

So I think they got their tactics right and we got ours wrong. Had we decided to attack them from the off, the holes would have been there for us to exploit.

Hypothetical of course, but I hope we mimic MU's new tactics when we play Preston. We seem so far this season to have been following their boring example with a disaffected and unsettled team and the same disappointing results, so I hope we now follow their new example with the same successful result.

That would do for PC what it seems to have done for the Dutchman.

2 minutes ago, Half fan said:

Have just read Jesse Lingard's explanation of MU's tactics against us. No surprise that they decided to play with freedom and attack us.

So I think they got their tactics right and we got ours wrong. Had we decided to attack them from the off, the holes would have been there for us to exploit.

Hypothetical of course, but I hope we mimic MU's new tactics when we play Preston. We seem so far this season to have been following their boring example with a disaffected and unsettled team and the same disappointing results, so I hope we now follow their new example with the same successful result.

That would do for PC what it seems to have done for the Dutchman.

Don't see the similarities myself. 

Carson

Christie            Keogh             Shackell(C)          Olsson

Ince                 Thorne            Butterfield          Johnson

Weimann       Martin

Grant, Baird, Bryson, Hendrick, Camara, Russell, Bent

• Space
  • Movement
  • Pace
  • Attack

1 hour ago, Half fan said:

How about both 5th in the league and expected to be placed higher and play better and entertain the fans better?

Apart from it being a completely different league format, 5th yes. The expectancy is different, I expect at least the Play Offs, 5th would fit that. United probably expect the Champs League so 5th for them would be a huge failure.

I'd argue we're a little ahead of them entertainment wise in the league. Burnley away was very entertaining! Just for the wrong reasons. But this little bad streak aside we do score goals and have shots.. something they are struggling to do especially at home. Their last 8 at home compared to ours is a bit different.

6 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

Apart from it being a completely different league format, 5th yes. The expectancy is different, I expect at least the Play Offs, 5th would fit that. United probably expect the Champs League so 5th for them would be a huge failure.

I'd argue we're a little ahead of them entertainment wise in the league. Burnley away was very entertaining! Just for the wrong reasons. But this little bad streak aside we do score goals and have shots.. something they are struggling to do especially at home. Their last 8 at home compared to ours is a bit different.

Very fair assessment!

I suppose my main hope is that we take a leaf out of MU's book and attack PNE from the outset just as MU attacked us. Then we might generate some heat of the night, Mr Tibbs!

Ince is not a wide midfielder. He's barely even a winger.

We don't suit 442. We don't have the players for it.

Usual back 5

Thorne
Hendrick Butterfield
Ince Martin Camara

Johnson needs dropping, and Blackman out left just doesn't work. He's not a winger, and Camara is, deserves a chance in the league. Russell needs to buck his ideas up too, hasn't shown us any reason to be back in the side, and Weimann's not getting a sniff after a relative purple patch.

I wouldn't be terribly surprised if we saw some of Olsson. Warnock deserves to keep his place, mind.

Archived