Luck

TheDeadlySaul

Are we the most unluckiest side in the division? At the start of the season every deflection went in for a goal and none of our chances went in and last night we failed capitalise on any of our chances and Burnley got 4 very fortunate goals. 

Obviously you can't rely on luck to get promoted, but we just never seem to have any. 

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, TheDeadlySaul said:

Are we the most unluckiest side in the division? At the start of the season every deflection went in for a goal and none of our chances went in and last night we failed capitalise on any of our chances and Burnley got 4 very fortunate goals. 

Obviously you can't rely on luck to get promoted, but we just never seem to have any. 

MK dons away

Fulham at home

Both games we rode our luck.

I agree you make your own luck but the lady well and truly deserted us last night. That said, i thought we played well last night and deserved something from the game, we never got outplayed and Burnley got the luck. I think we will be on the up soon,keep faith :)

11 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

Not sure that the penalties were "unlucky" - both were blatant

The Shackell one was just odd... I mean what was he doing?!?!? But I'd argue that the Keogh one was (whilst definitely a penalty) a bit unlucky... more than 50% of the time you make that challenge in the box the ball ricochets off your leg... just this time Gray managed to get a toe to the ball first...

I've written off our chances of automatics now... But at least we played some nice football yesterday... Was starting to think we were gonna have to suffer through the dire tosh from the Birmingham game all season now...

2 hours ago, TheDeadlySaul said:

The only "lucky" goal last night was the fourth. The own goal and penalties were down to defensive errors caused by pressure applied by their forwards. Also, not taking our chances didn't have anything to do with luck. 

Having said that, whilst well beaten in the second half I think the scoreline flattered them. 

1 hour ago, cheron85 said:

The Shackell one was just odd... I mean what was he doing?!?!?

I know - very odd. Not to accuse him of anything untoward but when they talk about sports people taking bungs to influence matches, that handball was so unfathomable coming from a defender of Shackell's quality and experience...

1 hour ago, cheron85 said:

The Shackell one was just odd... I mean what was he doing?!?!? But I'd argue that the Keogh one was (whilst definitely a penalty) a bit unlucky... more than 50% of the time you make that challenge in the box the ball ricochets off your leg... just this time Gray managed to get a toe to the ball first...

I've written off our chances of automatics now... But at least we played some nice football yesterday... Was starting to think we were gonna have to suffer through the dire tosh from the Birmingham game all season now...

8 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

I know - very odd. Not to accuse him of anything untoward but when they talk about sports people taking bungs to influence matches, that handball was so unfathomable coming from a defender of Shackell's quality and experience...

My take is that he has turned round and didn't realise Gray and Keogh were so close to him and thought they were going to collide with him so put his arms up to soften the impact from them as the ball dropped onto his arms. Unfortunate more than anything.

1 hour ago, StivePesley said:

1 hour ago, rynny said:

My take is that he has turned round and didn't realise Gray and Keogh were so close to him and thought they were going to collide with him so put his arms up to soften the impact from them as the ball dropped onto his arms. Unfortunate more than anything.

Yeh I don't think it was on purpose... Think it was an unfortunate reaction... But worrying that his first reaction to the situation was to try and catch the ball!

Derby weren't unlucky, 3 bad mistakes led to 3 goals...  Can't see how that is bad luck.  The 4th and genuinely unlucky goal didn't matter as we were already beaten.  You could argue that Burnley were lucky to play a side giving away such gifts as we were last night. 

I hope Keogh and Shackell can regain their confidence quickly after last night.  Obviously our good form earlier in the season was largely down to them. 

4 hours ago, TheDeadlySaul said:

Only the 4th goal was bad luck in my opinion (and even then he should have been closed down quicker) the other 3 were just poor defending.

Archived