Who to sell in the summer?

Bris Vegas

I wonder, should we stay down, whether it would be wise to cash in on a few players a make a few tweaks for the good.

The money we spent this season suggests that we're very close in terms of falling foul of FFP, so it's not like we can go out and spend another £25 million in a bid for promotion.

Luckily, we do have one or two saleable assets who could sell for the better of the team.

I mean, getting rid of Blackman, Pearce, Shotton, Keogh, Russell, Bent, Bryson and controversially Hughes could see us fetch £20+ million.

That would still leave us with Carson, Forsyth, Shackell, Rawson, Christie, Thorne, Johnson, Butterfield, Weimann, Ince and Martin as a potential XI, and then we'll still have Grant, Hanson, Buxton, Baird, Hendrick, Warnock, Camara, Calero, Bennett for squad options.

Let's be honest, we've got a bloated squad of underachievers. Not quite as bad as the Paul Jewell era, but it don't half feel like those five years of cost cutting under Nigel Clough has gone to waste now.

That £20m+ could be put towards another quality CB, winger and midfield [add a decent loan or two] and we'd probably find ourselves with a better squad overall.

Selling Hughes might be a no-go for a few of you, understandably, but he is our most valuable asset and if we're forced to sell one he is the player who would fetch the most.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sell him now before PC gets his hands on him , every other player with the exception of butterfield has gone backwards this season under the present management,we want Hughes halving in value do we

39 minutes ago, archied said:

Sell him now before PC gets his hands on him , every other player with the exception of butterfield has gone backwards this season under the present management,we want Hughes halving in value do we

Are you saying Christie has gone backwards? Because that would be silly 

1 hour ago, archied said:

Full of morning joy today. Keogh.. Warnock..

Mel's going to have to bite the bullet on a lot of signings we've made this year IMO. Bent, Pearce and Weimann would be the first to go for me. If Jeff has a good summer then I'd cash in too if teams come in. 

It's about starting points ,, Christie could not go any further backwards than he was,,, rock bottom,,, got a run in the side in his position ( not shifted around) and he has worked hard and improved,, butterfield is the player with most promise for a while but he is always on the first to be dropped list or played out of position? Johnson came in on the back of a great season and started exactly like the player we bought ,,, now he's a shadow, ince a shadow, Martin not even a shadow, bent ? Thorne looking more and more ordinary,,, I will bet my bottom dollar that 4 or five games under PC will see Hughes looking lost and a shadow of the top prospect he is ,, sorry to sound harsh but football is a harsh game , PC may be a nice bloke but championship manager he ain't,, ffs you don't need a massive team of analysts to figure out that in the championship you have to go out blood and guts , fight for the ball when you ain't got it , move it fast and with purpose and intent when you have, I say again nicey nicey keep ball with no real urgency is going to get you steamrollered by most half decent sides in this league,, teams have figured it and are no longer afraid and keeping eleven behind the ball against us with the only aim to be hard to break down and results are now following performances ,,, I hear people say our performance was good tonight ? For me it was a shadow of the team Derby were , fast moving and ripping teams apart when we had the ball ,, ffs we were totally unplayable for large parts of the last two seasons ,,,,,, baby and bath water springs to mind

Sell Keogh, Johnson, Ince, Russell and Blackman, see what we get for that. About £15million?

What do we need, right inside forward and the best centre back going in the league that's not already gone up or come down.

A striker that can play the same role as Chris Martin and let them fight it out for starting position.

Win the league, wagamama's.

7 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

I wonder, should we stay down, whether it would be wise to cash in on a few players a make a few tweaks for the good.

The money we spent this season suggests that we're very close in terms of falling foul of FFP, so it's not like we can go out and spend another £25 million in a bid for promotion.

Luckily, we do have one or two saleable assets who could sell for the better of the team.

I mean, getting rid of Blackman, Pearce, Shotton, Keogh, Russell, Bent, Bryson and controversially Hughes could see us fetch £20+ million.

That would still leave us with Carson, Forsyth, Shackell, Rawson, Christie, Thorne, Johnson, Butterfield, Weimann, Ince and Martin as a potential XI, and then we'll still have Grant, Hanson, Buxton, Baird, Hendrick, Warnock, Camara, Calero, Bennett for squad options.

Let's be honest, we've got a bloated squad of underachievers. Not quite as bad as the Paul Jewell era, but it don't half feel like those five years of cost cutting under Nigel Clough has gone to waste now.

That £20m+ could be put towards another quality CB, winger and midfield [add a decent loan or two] and we'd probably find ourselves with a better squad overall.

Selling Hughes might be a no-go for a few of you, understandably, but he is our most valuable asset and if we're forced to sell one he is the player who would fetch the most.

Craig Bryson is going to be the player who will turn this blip around. We've missed his energy and I'm pretty sure Chris Martin has too.

IMO, one of the best players on the books and should start against manure Friday night. 

If.. As has been talked about we are looking to be promoted with a team and squad of players able to sustain premier league status then our squad as it stands leaves that " sustainability wish" in deep dog doo for me. 

Feel free to revisit this post should I be woefully wrong but my assessment of premier league class and ability in our current squad is this. 

A) Players I'm 100% certain have premier league ability. 

Scott Carson

B) Players I think have premier league potential. 

Bryson

Hendrick

Butterfield

Thorne

Camara

Hughes

C) Players I think will struggle badly in the premier league

Shackell

Keogh

Ince

Johnson

Christie

Warnock ( age)

Weimann

D) Players I don't think could cut it in the premier league in any shape or form.

Blackman

Martin

Russell

Shotton

Bucko

Rather than targeting certain players to leave, clement needs to decide on the type of football he wants to play, decide on a plan A formation and then keep/buy the players for that system. I cant help but feel that our current recruitment plan involves panicking, finding the best player we can irrespective of style of play or strengths and weaknesses and then paying whatever the other team wants for them.

We need a strategy... A clear vision of type of football we want to play, then recruit and sell based on that!

34 minutes ago, StockholmRam said:

If.. As has been talked about we are looking to be promoted with a team and squad of players able to sustain premier league status then our squad as it stands leaves that " sustainability wish" in deep dog doo for me. 

Feel free to revisit this post should I be woefully wrong but my assessment of premier league class and ability in our current squad is this. 

A) Players I'm 100% certain have premier league ability. 

Scott Carson

B) Players I think have premier league potential. 

Bryson

Hendrick

Butterfield

Thorne

Camara

Hughes

C) Players I think will struggle badly in the premier league

Shackell

Keogh

Ince

Johnson

Christie

Warnock ( age)

Weimann

D) Players I don't think could cut it in the premier league in any shape or form.

Blackman

Martin

Russell

Shotton

Bucko

Shackell did well last year

Big question is who is in charge?, who wants to stay?, how are we going to play? 

Do we trust the youngsters if given a chance?

we have a lot of goalkeepers behind Carson so any of them maybe

warnock after this season, Baird after this season, Bent if we are not going to play him, wieman as he doesn't seem to have a role, ince if a decent offer came in, maybe Blackman if an offer was high enough,Johnson as it stands. 

Personally I would like to see a policy of having at least three players from the under 21s on every bench so they have a chance to play and develop which would ultimately mean you can let far more named players leave.

ultimately contracts have to end either by paying them off or somebody wanting them which is the difficult option 

1 minute ago, StockholmRam said:

They were relegated. So not THAT well. 

31st best player in the league last season according to whoscored :p

Archived