Attacking Triangle

SamUltraRam

An opposition fan observed last season that our strength was that when we attacked, particularly at home, when we raided on the flanks our full backs combined with our wide attackers and got immediately supported by a central midfielder to form a passing triangle that became almost undefendable. I know our personnel are currently different but i'm sure that playing Butterfield ( until Hughes returns ) & Hendrick could replicate this option if Clement would try it. That way, Martin gets to be involved more, Thorne gets more space deep from the attacking line and we get to see more of what this team is capable of. Away from home then yes, maybe we select a less attacking formation. 

Sounds simple & I know football doesn't work like that but it was a part of McClaren's tactics that I loved to watch

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I prefered how we were playing under the good run of PC.

I didnt find our tippy tappy style entertaining in the most part. It was patient, you could argue it was entertaining to look at the technical skill involved, but entertaining attacking football it was not.

Especially in the closing stages we used to get 70+% posession, yet the opposition would still get more efforts on goal than us. That is not entertaining. Much prefer a slightly more direct style, although not obviously so direct that we don't control the midfield at all.... we arent Ipswich after all.

35 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Its when keogh and shackell pass to each other for about the 43rd time that the novelty starts to wear off. 

It is infuriating when there's acres of space in front of them and/or they kick the ball so gently that you have time to check the latest scores on your phone before it reaches its destination. 

Need to put those things you put on horses so they can only look forwards?

Our football is a reflection of the Head Coach's schooling at PSG and Real. Personally, i'd not play a possession based system unless my players in the final third were all way in excess of the average championship player. Doing so with our players is allowing the opposition to set up in a way which is exploiting us, whilst we spend our 60% ball time going from side to side.

You have to have very girted forwards to break teams down if you insist on playing with a relatively slow build up phase. The opposition can afford to let us play in front of them safe in the knowledge we just don't have the necessary quality to hurt them.

People can blame individuals all they want but with a team that is so unbalanced and 1 dimensional in the final third it's hard to see what it'll achieve. Until the system is changed to get the set of individuals we have to play as 1 unit we will continue to have major weaknesses.

We're not a bad team, we're just a team that is, in my opinion, struggling to employ the Head Coach's philosophy.  

Mac's tactics and PC's are at the opposite ends in of spectrum.

If we could take the best  of both we would be sitting where Boro are.

The next couple of games will prove whether the coach has got what it takes to motivate the players?

11 hours ago, eddie said:

Don't we need a Bermuda international?

What's Clyde Best doing nowadays?

Newsflash - every ship and plane that has ever been lost in the Bermuda Triangle has been found this week.

Turned out that they were all in the very bottom left hand corner of the triangle.:D

Swansea eventually went up that way - and had a decent run in the PL under it.

However it took them several seasons to really make it work. 

It's not that you need amazing forwards to make it work so much as very good understanding between the players, but it's not something that can be drilled in the way a direct play on the counter 4-4-2 typically is.

Are we going to try to develop the team's understanding and instinct or are we going to drill a system. Take this season's Man U for example, LVG is trying to drill players who want to free into a certain system that's not natural to their instincts. and LVG does have a track record of success and a big budget......

1 minute ago, reveldevil said:

I've always thought the Swansea triangle was Catherine Zeta Jones!

At one time I wouldn't have minded mumbling my way through it, not so much now Michael Douglas and his diseased tongue have ploughed a furrow.

How beautifully put vicar.

1 hour ago, reveldevil said:

I've always thought the Swansea triangle was Catherine Zeta Jones!

At one time I wouldn't have minded mumbling my way through it, not so much now Michael Douglas and his diseased tongue have ploughed a furrow.

1 hour ago, RamNut said:

How beautifully put vicar.

Was looking for something positive in a lot of doom laden threads and these 2 at least made me chuckle.

10 hours ago, toldu said:

Being given  the money to raid the sweet shop ultimately

got Cox the sack

10 hours ago, toldu said:

Being given  the money to raid the sweet shop ultimately

got Cox the sack

Nah. He pulled a Sickie for a while then couldn't continue due to his " bad back "

Archived