Is the pressure off us now?

toddy

7 hours ago, HantsRam said:

That karanka seems as dull as ditchwater. But boro haven't stopped grinding out the results so something must be keeping them going that our group of players are lacking. 

He doesn't do sparkling interviews but he has the respect of his squad, knows exactly how he wants them to play and - as mentioned by another poster - it didn't happen in one season.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A win on Saturday is essential - and it won't be easy. It's a must win for Birmingham if they want to break into the play-offs

Hull on the other hand are at home to Charlton who are in the bottom 3 and haven't won in 9 games - so  a nailed on 3 points for them and another poor performance from us would mean we're suddenly 4 points off second and a gap opens up like with M'boro

7 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

A win on Saturday is essential - and it won't be easy. It's a must win for Birmingham if they want to break into the play-offs immediately, which would mean nothing.

FTFY

27 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

FTFY

Well not really - it's a huge psychological boost to a team and their fans.

Following your logic - you're saying that they aren't bothered about winning because being top six is meaningless and they plan to sneak in to the top six on the last day of the season because it's pointless to do so sooner

Facepalm

8 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

Well not really - it's a huge psychological boost to a team and their fans.

Following your logic - you're saying that they aren't bothered about winning because being top six is meaningless and they plan to sneak in to the top six on the last day of the season because it's pointless to do so sooner

Facepalm

No, what I'm saying is you seem to be confusing the term "must-win" with every single football match.

5 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

No, what I'm saying is you seem to be confusing the term "must-win" with every single football match.

Sigh - no I'm not

What I said:

"It's a must win for Birmingham if they want to break into the play-offs"

That's just a fact isn't it? If they don't want to be in the play-offs then it's not a must-win. If they aren't arsed like. I mean who cares?

3 hours ago, GrumpyBear said:

He doesn't do sparkling interviews but he has the respect of his squad, knows exactly how he wants them to play and - as mentioned by another poster - it didn't happen in one season.

This is key. Do you think PC has that from the players? I think that given the investment in analysis and the mentions of "tactical plans" we can reasonably assume that PC knows how he wants them to play.

As for the "not in one season" - well, they were as close last year as we were in 2014 playing similar stuff. so I would assert theyve been playing more or less the same for a couple of seasons now. Karanka was appoined in November 2013. So effectively he had one part season to get them going and has then done playoffs, top of the league. He didn't spend an awful lot longer than PC has had already getting his teeam into shape!

9 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

Sigh - no I'm not

What I said:

That's just a fact isn't it? If they don't want to be in the play-offs then it's not a must-win. If they aren't arsed like. I mean who cares?

They can not win against us, and easily make the play-offs. That's my point. Therefore it's not a must-win. It isn't a huge detriment to their season goals if they fail to beat us. Because most teams in and around them also won't beat us. I just don't think your fully grasping the definition of the term "must win" which is odd because it's very self explanatory.

Of course they WANT to win, everyone does. 

53 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

Sigh - no I'm not

What I said:

But they wouldn't be in the playoffs. You have to finish between 3rd and 6th to be 'in the playoffs'.

There's a long time until May.

21 hours ago, TheHomunculusLives said:

No offence my friend as you stated you came on here in peace, but if Derby are a less successful football club than Hull bearing in mind our respective histories, support and resources, something is badly wrong.

Think you must have misread something, I never said Derby were less successful than Hull, just that we still have the most expensive squad with the highest wage bill in the league. 

21 hours ago, reveldevil said:

Trouble is barring injuries, I suspect Boro's blip has been and gone, you, us and Bumley in a fight for 2nd?

I disagree.

We're only in January, I still expect Boro to have a blip between now and May.

If/when they do, I'd hope we could capitalise.

We should if we start actually turning up for away games against the bottom half.

No, of course the pressure isn't off.  We've invested very heavily so the pressure will be on until promotion is secured and not before.

In fact the pressure is increasing, as we are now outside the top two and we can't afford too many more bad results. 

Pressure is ON and anyone who thinks it isn't should have another listen to Clement's post reading interview.

It wont be off until either we secure promotion or promotion is not achievable (in the context of this season). Boro, Hull, us and Burnley are all pushing, Brighton have fell away a bit. The pressure is on Boro the least at present, but in three weeks, six weeks it might look different.

Most Boro fans are cautiously optimistic now of our chances of getting in the Prem. This is a league where no one can predict with any certainty who is going to beat who as we've seen after all!

If our form for the rest of the season mirrors that so far, then we're on course for  either 101 or 102 points. This form would contain a few losses here and there like against Hull and Bristol City 1st half, draws too like against Derby, Brum etc and a blip/wobble like we did have for the first 2 or 3 weeks of October in which we lost against Reading, drew against Fulham then lost against Cardiff (which had every bedwetter amongst our supporters absolutely pis$ing their pants in terror) 

Of course there's variables to chuck in there like there always is in football! Like as it's likely we will have another blip, how long will it last? We've had injuries in the first half of the season; Baptiste, Williams and Abella crocked from season opening and Gibson's and Stuani's being our most team effecting, so know all too well how they can effect a season. Therefore it is again likely we'll have more injuries, but who to, and how long for? Also the transfer window throws up some unknowns; so far we've all but signed another striker from Spain, also called Kike (the idea of having 2 Kike's up top could get confusing!) with us also after a Swedish under 21 defender too. Who knows what other surprises the window will bring?

And there you have it. There's that many variables in  this league it's impossible to call, it's all just probabilities. It's almost certain we'll finish the season with between 80 and 115 points, but that's the only near certainty I can give!

12 hours ago, ahalftimereport said:

Think you must have misread something, I never said Derby were less successful than Hull, just that we still have the most expensive squad with the highest wage bill in the league. 

Don't think he misread anything, he just interpreted it in his own style, which certainly is not my own or I suspect many other posters on here.

Pretty sure Humunculous is a Red Dog in disguise.

Welcome by the way!

14 hours ago, SaintRam said:

They can not win against us, and easily make the play-offs. That's my point. Therefore it's not a must-win. It isn't a huge detriment to their season goals if they fail to beat us. Because most teams in and around them also won't beat us. I just don't think your fully grasping the definition of the term "must win" which is odd because it's very self explanatory.

Of course they WANT to win, everyone does. 

LOL - got to love a pedant with an ego on an internet forum. Whatevs bruv...this is clearly a must-win argument for you :)

Archived