Is the pressure off us now?

toddy

Is the pressure off us now that Hull have moved into 2nd place?

Possibly so, but there again we need to beat Brum on Saturday, as Hull are at home to Charlton, we don't really want to be going to Burnley knowing we are 3 or 4 pts adrift of Hull.

That point at Boro looks so good now!

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No the pressure isn't off, because we are the now widely (and justifiably) seen as the Man City of the Championship due to the huge amount of money we have spent on players this season. We are widely expected to get promoted this season and rightly so!

Based purely on performance, we comprehensively outplayed Hull just a few weeks ago and I for one would be very disappointed to finish below them.

12 minutes ago, TheHomunculusLives said:

No the pressure isn't off, because we are the now widely (and justifiably) seen as the Man City of the Championship due to the huge amount of money we have spent on players this season. We are widely expected to get promoted this season and rightly so!

Based purely on performance, we comprehensively outplayed Hull just a few weeks ago and I for one would be very disappointed to finish below them.

(Hull City fan in peace).

Understandable view but we felt the same way after comprehensively outplaying Boro.

The run they've gone on since that game is very impressive, particularly defensively, but I expect them to have a blip like every side does in the Championship. 

You may be the Man City of the Championship this season but I still believe our squad is the most expensive in the league, and I suspect our wage bill is the highest too. 

Just now, ahalftimereport said:

Understandable view but we felt the same way after comprehensively outplaying Boro.

The run they've gone on since that game is very impressive, particularly defensively, but I expect them to have a blip like every side does in the Championship. 

You may be the Man City of the Championship this season but I still believe our squad is the most expensive in the league, and I suspect our wage bill is the highest too. 

No offence my friend as you stated you came on here in peace, but if Derby are a less successful football club than Hull bearing in mind our respective histories, support and resources, something is badly wrong.

2 minutes ago, ahalftimereport said:

Trouble is barring injuries, I suspect Boro's blip has been and gone, you, us and Bumley in a fight for 2nd?

PRESSURE OFF ?. You are joking of course, the pressure has never been more on for Derby after spending £25 Million on our challenge this season. We really must beat Birmingham on Saturday, other wise I think we can start to forget an automatic place. I very much fear that come the end of this month Boro & Hull will have pulled out a considerable lead as far as points go, very much putting them both in a position of almost certainties for automatic promotion. With Burnley & Ipswich now hitting form I think now the very best we can hope for is a comfortable Play Off place. I hope I'm proved wrong but looking at the up coming fixtures for everyone I fear not.

Depends which way you look at it. 

If your expectation was " we have spent a shed load of money which equals HAVING to get promotion this season" then yes I suspect the pressure could well be on... 

However, if your expectation was always more measured and you understood the time element of putting together a new head coach/ coaching team plus 6 or 7 new signings straight into the squad/team then the pressure was never really on... Just an nice surprise at how well things have gone so far. 

2 hours ago, StockholmRam said:

Depends which way you look at it. 

If your expectation was " we have spent a shed load of money which equals HAVING to get promotion this season" then yes I suspect the pressure could well be on... 

However, if your expectation was always more measured and you understood the time element of putting together a new head coach/ coaching team plus 6 or 7 new signings straight into the squad/team then the pressure was never really on... Just an nice surprise at how well things have gone so far. 

Thing is, that series of circumstances was a sensible justification of our early season form.

But it doesn't really explain why we have deteriorated in recent weeks. We seem to have fallen back on the explanation that if Thorne and Martin are off key and not functioning then the whole team stumbles.

Clement has had months not weeks now. His interview after reading made some quite concerning statements about lack of application of a tactical plan. If he's not getting his messages across and inspiring his players he needs to find an assistant who can help. That karanka seems as dull as ditchwater. But boro haven't stopped grinding out the results so something must be keeping them going that our group of players are lacking. 

2 hours ago, HantsRam said:

Thing is, that series of circumstances was a sensible justification of our early season form.

But it doesn't really explain why we have deteriorated in recent weeks. We seem to have fallen back on the explanation that if Thorne and Martin are off key and not functioning then the whole team stumbles.

Clement has had months not weeks now. His interview after reading made some quite concerning statements about lack of application of a tactical plan. If he's not getting his messages across and inspiring his players he needs to find an assistant who can help. That karanka seems as dull as ditchwater. But boro haven't stopped grinding out the results so something must be keeping them going that our group of players are lacking. 

It takes more than just a few months mate in a job as complex and high pressure as his. Are we " all up to speed, doing our very best work" after a few months in our jobs.  I know I'm not. 

As for Boro.. They actually expand my theory in that under their current head coach they have actually taken 3 seasons including this one to gel and get the right blend and players out on tha park. They are not without their ups and downs and bumps and bruises since he arrived but it's all coming together well now. 

The pressure is coming from the fans, not from Mel. I clearly remember an interview where he says that all he wants is improvement and if we don't get there this season then next season we go again. You can't buy success that easily, especially in the championship. It's a tough league where skill is often cancelled out by uncultured ugly teams. 

8 minutes ago, rusgb said:

Please not the play-offs again.  As far as I understand losing out in the play-offs is equivalent to childbirth. 

Not sure I'd quite acquaint it to that. More an emotional destruction as opposed to a physical one. Like witnessing a betrayal. :lol:

25 minutes ago, rusgb said:

Please not the play-offs again.  As far as I understand losing out in the play-offs is equivalent to childbirth. 

I can see your point, the events that led up to the final was, on the whole, very enjoyable but the actual match was highly emotional and very painful. However, unlike childbirth the outcome wasn't worth the pain and not something you'd want to repeat with the same result (speaking as a man of course). 

Burnley Fan here,

It's certainly a close run thing at the moment. Our problem is that we simply can't win against the top sides. That will be our undoing as I can't see wins against either Derby or Hull - who we play back-to-back at home. So far:

Draw v Derby

Loss v Hull

Loss v Boro

Draw/Loss v Ipswich

Draw v Brighton 

We've only been able to keep up because of our ability to beat the bottom sides on a regular basis. Our record against the bottom seven teams is played 9 won 9.

11 hours ago, TheHomunculusLives said:

No offence my friend as you stated you came on here in peace, but if Derby are a less successful football club than Hull bearing in mind our respective histories, support and resources, something is badly wrong.

Spoken like a true Red Dog...

No we were top of the league at Christmas... We now have a reputation as serial chokers and that's something we need to turn around. The more pressure the better, then we can show  people we can deal with it.

Archived