Do we shuffle the pack against United?

Mafiabob

What team do you put out?  

131 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Full strength team.....but I think it would be a different pick against them. Bent to start with Razza and Ince. Johnson, Thorne, butterfield, Christie, shackell, Keogh, Lowe - more pace and a great start to his career, there is always one young player that plays well in these games. Carson

Don't get me wrong...I really rate Martin. But LVG will base his whole defensive game plan around stopping Martin from playing. Completely different game with Bent and ManUre's defense leaves a lot of space an experienced forward like Bent could exploit. 

23 minutes ago, Yani P said:

Whatever team we play shouldn't impact on our No1 priority which is promotion.

Irrespective what side is selected - full strength or the fringe players - you could not tell beforehand which is the right approach to take. A full-strength side beats United - huge confidence boost and we take the league by storm. On the other hand, an insipid, demoralising thrashing might have the opposite effect. Similarly, a great win could breed over-confidence, and a thrashing could instil a siege mentality.

Unfortunately, you can only decide one way or the other with the benefit of hindsight.

20 minutes ago, R@M said:

Don't get me wrong...I really rate Martin. But LVG will base his whole defensive game plan around stopping Martin from playing. Completely different game with Bent and ManUre's defense leaves a lot of space an experienced forward like Bent could exploit. 

Believe me they really won't. LVG is too arrogant. If they did put all of their efforts into just stopping martin then it shows how far they have fallen but i doubt he will do that. He can't even remember the names of his senior players. Mike smalling and michael carrot

2 hours ago, irobinson said:

bag 10 pts  first in league - then make a decision!

That would be impressive given there are only three games before the tie!

While there's fleeting excitement over this, I'm disappointed by the draw because there will be the temptation to put more of a first team out. And I wanted to use the Cup to give as many fringe players as possible a run.

Would be daft to put anything other than the strongest XI out for this. The 'fringe' players will know who they are and if they want to prove they're more than just fringe players they will do everything to get into the first team, with this fixture being the carrot dangled in front of them! It's a team game and unfortunately for the outsiders they should surely understand that progressing to the next round is priority and if they want to play then they'll have to prove themselves. We must show Man Utd some respect otherwise we could come away with egg on our face. Imagine if we put out a similar XI to Hartlepool and get trounced cos Man U go full strength? Would ruin the confidence of the players picked and anger those that weren't - potentially upsetting rhythm and derailling our season.  Personally I think it's more important right now to focus on the league games before fantasizing about hammering the final nail in LVG's coffin, that can wait.

Archived