70 years since we won the FA Cup

Curtains

7 minutes ago, Daveo said:

Are Derby? A keeper making his professional debut, a defender yet to play a league game since joining, a defender yet to play this season coming back from injury, a midfielder also coming back from injury and a winger making his debut in English football.

Pretty much a team of strangers out there. Magic!

I think Mitchell starting against his home town club and down the road from his school is what the cup should be about. That is the magic that you say is missing. It is still there it just isn't as widely reported anymore so you have to look for it yourself.

As for the rest of our team;

Defence-1 that is aiming to play in the European championship in the summer, an ex-England international, a modern day club legend (use the term loosely) and a player that has a lot of premier league experience

Midfield-academy product that has played a number of games this season, club captain and looking to play in the European championship in the summer and our player of the season 18 months ago

Attackers-3rd top scorer in the league, ex-England international and our new international winger who was 3rd in Ligue 1 in France

It's easy this spin stuff:p

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, StringerBell said:

I know it was in the 40's which is probably why I could have only named you three players. Although I am slightly annoyed at myself as by having a quick google, I really should have remembered at least four. Not entirely sure about who played better but think it went to extra time? I'm also aware the ball burst.

But that's not the point in making. Obviously you're going to remember things when you were there to experience them. But this was the first FA Cup after the war where previously a lot of the footballers were stuck in a ditch or a prison camp in Europe somewhere. It's not just part of Derby County history, it's a significant part of football history. 

This reminds me of an episode of Never Mind the Buzzcocks. Some one out of Steps suggested she couldn't be expected to know who some popstar was as this popstar was around before she was even born, as though that was a justification for ignorance. Mark Lamarr replied that he wasn't born when Napoleon was around but if he was standing In front of him he'd still have a good guess at which one he was.

I'm not saying I have zero interest in Derby history but we're going back too far. I've got all of the Clough books, I've read about the 70's and it all sounds great but I don't have any connection to that team that won the league. The same feelings Eddie and Uttox have so I struggle to remember those dates that I can't really attach any emotion to. 

The 70's wasn't the same game, the 40's was a totally different game! no subs, if the final was a draw you would get a replay....yes I've googled it now, how many knew it was 0-0 until the 85th minute?

I'll be honest I only probably picked those up those books because of this forum, I'm not really a historic person, I couldn't even tell you the World War dates, that's just me. Maybe it is ignorant but that's just me, not going to apologise for it and it's no disrespect to those that fought for this country. 

I just don't feel like I gain anything from reading text on pages, never feel like I feel the emotions of winning, the passion, how the fans felt that day. It's just black and white words.

My main point before rambling was a FA Cup win isn't something that will be remembered forever, it just isn't. Whilst some may see me as some kind of ignorant half fan fool I know I'm not alone here.

It will only ever be truly remembered for people that experienced it in their lifetime. 

Like you have had to Google, admitting you should have only of known 4 players. This is a huge achievement for the club, surely you should know the team, know how the game went, how we made it to the final? Nope and I don't blame you.

In my time of watching football I've seen the FA Cup decline and rise of the Champions League, this is the ultimate aim for all clubs, the FA Cup is simply a distraction for the big boys which ruins it for me. 

I loved the cup growing up but it's changed now. Leagues have become far more important and this season could potentially change the future of this football club, the FA Cup can't. I want to see Derby County compete with the best, week in week out. But that's just me.

22 minutes ago, Duracell said:

He seemed fairly bothered by the Cup last year...

Had to get the fans off his back, getting old now, the pitch forks were starting to hurt. 

If Arsenal win the league this year that FA Cup day won't come close.

13 minutes ago, Daveo said:

I'm not saying I have zero interest in Derby history but we're going back too far. I've got all of the Clough books, I've read about the 70's and it all sounds great but I don't have any connection to that team that won the league. 

The 70's wasn't the same game tho, the 40's was a totally different game! no subs, if the final was a draw you would get a replay....yes I've googled it now, how many knew it was 0-0 until the 85th minute?

I'll be honest I only probably picked those up those books because of this forum, I'm not really a historic person, I couldn't even tell you the World War dates, that's just me. Maybe it is ignorant but that's just me, not going to apologise for it and it's no disrespect to those that fought for this country. 

I just don't feel like I gain anything from reading text on pages, never feel like I feel the emotions of winning, the passion, how the fans felt that day. It's just black and white words.

My main point was a FA Cup win isn't something that will be remembered forever, it just isn't. Whilst some may see me as some kind of ignorant half fan fool I know I'm not alone here.

It will only ever be truly remembered for people that experienced it in their lifetime. 

Like you have had to Google, admitting you should have only of known 4 players. This is a huge achievement for the club, surely you should know the team, know how the game went, how we made it to the final? Nope and I don't blame you.

In my time of watching football I've seen the FA Cup decline and rise of the Champions League, this is the ultimate aim for all clubs, the FA Cup is simply a distraction for the big boys which ruins it for me. 

I loved the cup growing up but it's changed now. Leagues have become far more important and this season could potentially change the future of this football club, the FA Cup can't. I want to see Derby County compete with the best, week in week out. But that's just me.

I think I'm a similar age and completely agree about the FA Cup. It's a shame but maybe inevitable with how things are.

I've got more of a causal interest in general history (I love Dan Carlin's podcasts)  than I have football history which is why I was surprised you didn't know a date that's been seared into my brain since I was a child. But people are different in what they prioritise when they're filling their brain up. I could certainly brush up on my economics. 

I don't think necessarily knowing the finer details of the match makes the point of knowing the year of 1946 redundant. I'm sure I have read up on it quite a few times but I couldn't give you an entirely accurate run down of the match. But then my memory's not actually great anyway. The Jim Smith era seems hazy to me even though I was there for a lot of it.

I'd go for the cup, you can't take away a Cup victory, it'll be worth you until your final days. 

However, how does everyone remember our most recent promotion to the premier league, did we enjoy playing all the big teams, did we make ourselves financially secure for many years to come? Also, many on here say they dread going up because they fear a repeat performance. 

5 hours ago, ram59 said:

I'd go for the cup, you can't take away a Cup victory, it'll be worth you until your final days. 

However, how does everyone remember our most recent promotion to the premier league, did we enjoy playing all the big teams, did we make ourselves financially secure for many years to come? Also, many on here say they dread going up because they fear a repeat performance. 

I bet those Pompey and Wigan fans are delighted they threw money and their attention at the cup....and Villa...

the "magic of the cup" has gone, it's finished, The champions league started the rot and United put the final nail in the coffin when they decided not to even bother entering it....nowadays it is not just the "top top clubs" that rest players for it all the mediocre clubs in the Premiershite play weakened sides (just look at the team that a mid table team from merseyside put out against Exeter)  and you even have the situation where any club with thoughts of promotion from the championship (which lets be honest is pretty much anyone down to about 15th position) will rest players for it, even league 1 and 2 teams are fielding weaker sides, because promotion is more important and no one outside of the top division is going to win it. 

Last season in the third round they had 2 shocks, this season, I don't see any at all. 

RIP the FA Cup, it used to be great and I would totally love to win it but it's over, it's finished. 

58 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

I bet those Pompey and Wigan fans are delighted they threw money and their attention at the cup....and Villa...

the "magic of the cup" has gone, it's finished, The champions league started the rot and United put the final nail in the coffin when they decided not to even bother entering it....nowadays it is not just the "top top clubs" that rest players for it all the mediocre clubs in the Premiershite play weakened sides (just look at the team that a mid table team from merseyside put out against Exeter)  and you even have the situation where any club with thoughts of promotion from the championship (which lets be honest is pretty much anyone down to about 15th position) will rest players for it, even league 1 and 2 teams are fielding weaker sides, because promotion is more important and no one outside of the top division is going to win it. 

Last season in the third round they had 2 shocks, this season, I don't see any at all. 

RIP the FA Cup, it used to be great and I would totally love to win it but it's over, it's finished. 

This statement presupposes that winning the FA cup (or reaching the final in Villa's case) is the reason for the subsequent decline in those clubs. What's the actual evidence for this?

@MuespachRam would be on the first plane if we got to the cup final! Hell, even @Daveo might leave Grimsby for it...

I agree the cup is far less valued than when I were a lad, Risking finishing two places lower in the prem because you've overstretched your squad is not worth the glory of a cup run. Add to that the semi-finals being played at Wembley has ruined the uniqueness of playing on the hallowed turf and Man United's refusal to enter the competition to grab an extra million from sponsors of the World Club match......yeah, the cup is a shadow of its old self, especially as its not backed by the SKY marketing machine.

However, there is still something there for a lot of fans.

The excitement of waiting to see who you've drawn in the next round.

The chance of visiting a ground you've never been, or not been for donkeys years.

Imagine the party if we did win it.....imo it would surpass the promotion party we're gonna have in May.

Do Chesterfield fans remember that run to the Cup semi-final better than promotion seasons? probably.

Wigan and Pompey's cup endeavours did not impact on the way they were run and the reason's for their relegation(s)

I suppose the question is, would you swap promotion for a Cup win? I reckon the answer would be 50/50...but its a pointless debate, it doesn't work like that in real life.

I believe a decent cup run, maybe a quarter final defeat to Man City or Arsenal, coupled with automatic promotion would be about raite this season.

What times the draw?:D

18 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

@MuespachRam would be on the first plane if we got to the cup final! Hell, even @Daveo might leave Grimsby for it...

I agree the cup is far less valued than when I were a lad, Risking finishing two places lower in the prem because you've overstretched your squad is not worth the glory of a cup run. Add to that the semi-finals being played at Wembley has ruined the uniqueness of playing on the hallowed turf and Man United's refusal to enter the competition to grab an extra million from sponsors of the World Club match......yeah, the cup is a shadow of its old self, especially as its not backed by the SKY marketing machine.

However, there is still something there for a lot of fans.

The excitement of waiting to see who you've drawn in the next round.

The chance of visiting a ground you've never been, or not been for donkeys years.

Imagine the party if we did win it.....imo it would surpass the promotion party we're gonna have in May.

Do Chesterfield fans remember that run to the Cup semi-final better than promotion seasons? probably.

Wigan and Pompey's cup endeavours did not impact on the way they were run and the reason's for their relegation(s)

I suppose the question is, would you swap promotion for a Cup win? I reckon the answer would be 50/50...but its a pointless debate, it doesn't work like that in real life.

I believe a decent cup run, maybe a quarter final defeat to Man City or Arsenal, coupled with automatic promotion would be about raite this season.

What times the draw?:D

I said all along I would absolutely love it if we got to the final, and for years when I resided in Switzerland I kept up my season ticket just to make sure I got a ticket if we got to the final. 

But as you say, the magic has gone, I forgot to mention in my other post about the semi finals being played at Wembley too...another reason the completion is finished. If I am totally honest I wouldn't have the play off games, Johnson paint trophy there either, in my opinion the only games at Wembley should be the 2 cup finals, charity shield and England games but the FA can't afford for that to happen. 

Dont worry @uttoxram75 uttch if we get to the final I will be buying you a pint or 3 that is a promise. (Not in the stadium though-I'm not made of money!) 

One thing I can never understand is when comfortable mid table Premier teams with very little chance of Europe or relegation, do not play full strength teams from the start. What the hell are they playing for, positional prize money? 

5 minutes ago, ram59 said:

One thing I can never understand is when comfortable mid table Premier teams with very little chance of Europe or relegation, do not play full strength teams from the start. What the hell are they playing for, positional prize money? 

Yep...

17 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

I said all along I would absolutely love it if we got to the final, and for years when I resided in Switzerland I kept up my season ticket just to make sure I got a ticket if we got to the final. 

But as you say, the magic has gone, I forgot to mention in my other post about the semi finals being played at Wembley too...another reason the completion is finished. If I am totally honest I wouldn't have the play off games, Johnson paint trophy there either, in my opinion the only games at Wembley should be the 2 cup finals, charity shield and England games but the FA can't afford for that to happen. 

Dont worry @uttoxram75 uttch if we get to the final I will be buying you a pint or 3 that is a promise. (Not in the stadium though-I'm not made of money!) 

Unless I win the Florida lottery tonight which has just gone up to 900 million.!!! If I do I will buy you a hot dog too pal. 

A lot of this thread is silly, as if this season is a.) a straight forward decision between winning the FA Cup, and going up (we could even fail to achieve either feat :o) and b.) the arguments of this thread will decide which will happen.

I can only speak for myself when I say I'd rather win a piece of silverware over a promotion. I've never seen us win anything (and no, the play-off final in 2007 does NOT count), and I'd happily be relegated to League One in order to win it. Winning stuff - that's what football is about. That's more magical than having a shot of finishing mid-table in the league above. But that's just me.

Wouldn't mind us going up though...

31 minutes ago, Duracell said:

A lot of this thread is silly, as if this season is a.) a straight forward decision between winning the FA Cup, and going up (we could even fail to achieve either feat :o) and b.) the arguments of this thread will decide which will happen.

I can only speak for myself when I say I'd rather win a piece of silverware over a promotion. I've never seen us win anything (and no, the play-off final in 2007 does NOT count), and I'd happily be relegated to League One in order to win it. Winning stuff - that's what football is about. That's more magical than having a shot of finishing mid-table in the league above. But that's just me.

Never won anything? I can't believe the lack of respect you have just shown for the Brian Clough Trophy. 

You need to go sit in the corner and think about what you have just said.

4 hours ago, Duracell said:

Why doesn't the play off final "count"...!!??? One of the best if not the best day outs at football I have ever had. 

Archived