70 years since we won the FA Cup

Curtains

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9 Jan 2016 at 15:13, Daveo said:

Was in the 40's! I can't even remember what I had for dinner last night and it was over 30 years before I was even born.

I would love to see how many could honestly without using Google name the team and year we won it. I'm sure plenty can but I bet plenty won't be able to and even knowing that what kind of game was it, how did we play? Did the shoreline flatter us?

Talk to me about that 97/98 season and I'll be right there with you, getting served a watery lager at half time just 15 years old. The season ticket book, white booklet with the ram and yellow scarf under it, the days you ripped the ticket out not swiped a card.

The season I was sat there with me mum watching the Queen drive round the track opening the ground, a real buzz about the place. Driving past as it was being built, getting my North Stand season ticket stood in the temporary cabins out side.

Lots of memories, lots, not an entry on a Wiki page that happened long before I was even born and a game that nobody can remember, that old it can't even be remastered for DVD.

Leave all that for the 18 year old Forest fans on social media still buzzing how they won a cup twice before they were even born. Not even the same competition it is now

Utch and Eddie were there... 1945 and all that. X

22 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

I bet those Pompey and Wigan fans are delighted they threw money and their attention at the cup....and Villa...

the "magic of the cup" has gone, it's finished, The champions league started the rot and United put the final nail in the coffin when they decided not to even bother entering it....nowadays it is not just the "top top clubs" that rest players for it all the mediocre clubs in the Premiershite play weakened sides (just look at the team that a mid table team from merseyside put out against Exeter)  and you even have the situation where any club with thoughts of promotion from the championship (which lets be honest is pretty much anyone down to about 15th position) will rest players for it, even league 1 and 2 teams are fielding weaker sides, because promotion is more important and no one outside of the top division is going to win it. 

Last season in the third round they had 2 shocks, this season, I don't see any at all. 

RIP the FA Cup, it used to be great and I would totally love to win it but it's over, it's finished. 

Oh you are such a happy poster you are. Magic of the cup depends on who you are. For us that grew up 60s and 70s it retains a huge interest. Every season I watch 3rd round games with great anticipation of an upset. Talking of upset I still thing McLaten should have put our first team out v Reading last season. We had a great chance to go further. A semi final after all these years.... 

4 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

Good news @uttoxram75 no one won the lottery over here last night, it is going to be up to 1.5 BILLION on Wednesday night...!! When I drop that I will definitely get the beers, hot dogs and maybe even a cup of tea at half time in at Wembley. 

If you won that much mate you'd be able to afford the train fare from Derby to London before 9am!

17 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

If you won that much mate you'd be able to afford the train fare from Derby to London before 9am!

Don't be silly - the only folk that can afford that are MPs, railway workers (free) ex-railway workers (free) ex-port staff (free) and relatives of all the exes......plus season tickets

On our local service which is always packed I doubt theres more than 2 or 3 full-fat fare payers!

Archived