70 years since we won the FA Cup

Curtains

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Daveo said:

I did, but I wouldn't have to Google the 97/98 season. Can you tell me the players that won the FA Cup? I can name you Jim Smiths team.

Not one fan on here will remember that day, not one. Nobody ever talks about it but we always hear about those days under Clough, winning the League and we all know what Brian Clough thought was a bigger achievement.

You remember the football in your lifetime, for me a promotion and another chance to see Derby County become an established top flight side, seeing the best players of the world come to our ground each week would mean for more than a one off day.

Winning the FA Cup is like beating your Dad on the pool table in Spain as a kid. It felt great but you know he wasn't really trying, he didn't get his head down to take the shots, just another game. But you will go to bed that night buzzing and the next day taking the piss out of him.

I'm older now, I don't believe in Santa Claus and I want to see us compete against the best, I want to see Derby top the Premier League like Leicester have, what a time they must be having and what a season to tell the grandkids

How old was you when you went to watch the Rams in the 97 season? So in 18 years you can remember the players from one season, whose sole achievement was  finishing outside the European spots??!

This imo highlights how important the FA cup is to teams like Derby, it's the only realistic chance of us winning a trophy, and in turn playing in Europe.  The FA cup is the beat competition in the world imo, and one that I would love to see us lift, that team had a great chance to do so 1 year later when we was robbed by an offside goal.

29 minutes ago, Daveo said:

I did, but I wouldn't have to Google the 97/98 season. Can you tell me the players that won the FA Cup? I can name you Jim Smiths team.

Not one fan on here will remember that day, not one. Nobody ever talks about it but we always hear about those days under Clough, winning the League and we all know what Brian Clough thought was a bigger achievement.

You remember the football in your lifetime, for me a promotion and another chance to see Derby County become an established top flight side, seeing the best players of the world come to our ground each week would mean for more than a one off day.

Winning the FA Cup is like beating your Dad on the pool table in Spain as a kid. It felt great but you know he wasn't really trying, he didn't get his head down to take the shots, just another game. But you will go to bed that night buzzing and the next day taking the piss out of him.

I'm older now, I don't believe in Santa Claus and I want to see us compete against the best, I want to see Derby top the Premier League like Leicester have, what a time they must be having and what a season to tell the grandkids

Wouldn't we have a chance of that in Europe?

I will never understand why teams like west brom, stoke etc don't go all out to win this competition. Everybody seems to just focus on getting to and being in the premier league. If Derby go up this season and finish 14th next year in the prem, in 30 years time no one is going to remember who finished 14th in the prem 30 years ago. But the teams who win trophies will always be remembered. In 50 years time I would like to be able to look back and see Derby winners of the fa cup or the league cup at some point. Rather than say o remember 30 years ago when we managed to finish mid table in the Prem.

This season its not our priority, but once we are up in the prem and consolidated like a Stoke or West Ham. I would really like us to go all out to win a competition, football is all about winning something, and personally I'd like to see Derby win some trophies in my life time.

1 minute ago, Leeds Ram said:

How old was you when you went to watch the Rams in the 97 season? So in 18 years you can remember the players from one season, whose sole achievement was  finishing outside the European spots??!

This imo highlights how important the FA cup is to teams like Derby, it's the only realistic chance of us winning a trophy, and in turn playing in Europe.  The FA cup is the beat competition in the world imo, and one that I would love to see us lift, that team had a great chance to do so 1 year later when we was robbed by an offside goal.

15. We was right up there with the best clubs in the country playing great football and so close to European football, all in my lifetime. Not a date in the 40's when football was a totally different game with a team I couldn't name a single player or anyone sit me on their knee and tell me how great they were. 

All it highlights is how many crap managers we've had in my time.

The FA Cup would mean something to me if all clubs put out their strongest teams each round, none of this play the u21's until we get a big boy. 

Oh look we've fluked it to the Quarters lets try and win it now, no.

If it's such a respected cup pay it respect from the first round. It used to be like this, not anymore and that's why it's lost it's magic. The league is far more important to a clubs long term future.

If all clubs did this and Derby made it to the final what an achievement that would be, huge. 

Until then not interested. New TV deal next season, if Derby get there this could set us up for years. We need to get there and that's why the money has been spent to get us there. Huge season. 

7 minutes ago, rynny said:

Wouldn't we have a chance of that in Europe?

Yes but would you rather get there through being one of the best teams in the league over a full season or through playing a cup that nobody really gave a toss about until they could smell Wembley.

12 minutes ago, Daveo said:

Yes but would you rather get there through being one of the best teams in the league over a full season or through playing a cup that nobody really gave a toss about until they could smell Wembley.

Does it matter how you get there? Will people remember if teams gave a toss in 5, 10 ,15 years?

It is all moot this season anyway as we will not be winning it. IF we get promoted this season I would like for us to have a go at winning either cup, not bothered which, it would be a momentous occasion.

11 minutes ago, Daveo said:

15. We was right up there with the best clubs in the country playing great football and so close to European football, all in my lifetime. Not a date in the 40's when football was a totally different game with a team I couldn't name a single player or anyone sit me on their knee and tell me how great they were. 

All it highlights is how many crap managers we've had in my time.

The FA Cup would mean something to me if all clubs put out their strongest teams each round, none of this play the u21's until we get a big boy. 

Oh look we've fluked it to the Quarters lets try and win it now, no.

If it's such a respected cup pay it respect from the first round. It used to be like this, not anymore and that's why it's lost it's magic. The league is far more important to a clubs long term future.

If all clubs did this and Derby made it to the final what an achievement that would be, huge. 

Until then not interested. New TV deal next season, if Derby get there this could set us up for years. We need to get there and that's why the money has been spent to get us there. Huge season. 

Not sure what putting the strongest squad has to do with it ? Football has evolved since putting your best team out, next you'll be harping on about the days when no subs were allowed.

You normally find that the big boys are still in it at the QF and more often than not win it, why is this disrespecting it, if they can play a team that wins the matches regardless of if they are not first team regulars.

The media likes to tell you that the cup is no longer valued, but let's see how many of the prem teams lose to an upset with a weakened team this year, they are few between, the squads that the teams have at their disposal is massive, highlighted by only Pompey and Wigan being the only teams outside the top 4 to have won the cup this century, and you have to go back to 88 to find an upset prior to this....if undervalued why not more upsets if it that easy?

3 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

Not sure what putting the strongest squad has to do with it ? Football has evolved since putting your best team out, next you'll be harping on about the days when no subs were allowed.

You normally find that the big boys are still in it at the QF and more often than not win it, why is this disrespecting it, if they can play a team that wins the matches regardless of if they are not first team regulars.

The media likes to tell you that the cup is no longer valued, but let's see how many of the prem teams lose to an upset with a weakened team this year, they are few between, the squads that the teams have at their disposal is massive, highlighted by only Pompey and Wigan being the only teams outside the top 4 to have won the cup this century, and you have to go back to 88 to find an upset prior to this....if undervalued why not more upsets if it that easy?

Do you not listen to the managers talking about how the league is more important, how they will play kids? This isn't the media. 

Liverpool last night, Klopp even admitted that he's putting a team out that has barely played together. We've even got Clement telling the media how Buxton will be starting and given a chance.

Paul Lambert openly spoke about it whilst at Villa.....

http://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwich-city/poll_do_you_agree_with_former_norwich_city_boss_paul_lambert_that_the_fa_cup_is_a_distraction_1_3174028

I want to see a competition taken seriously and not a distraction just like the league is. I want to say we won the FA Cup in 2016 when all the clubs in England were trying really hard to win it, Derby County did. Not Arsenal went out to Gillingham playing the U18's in Round 3, Man Utd u21's went out to Basingstoke in Round 4

I mostly agree with Daveo, the FA Cup doesn't have the appeal about it it once did, even in the 90's. And while the FA Cup is there every year, the chance of promotion isn't. So promotion should be the priority for me. 

But not knowing the year of when we won the FA Cup or even one players name? What the hell? It was the first FA Cup after the war. It's not hard to remember. And there was a bar at the end of Sadlergate named after one of the players when you would have been a youth out on the town Daveo.

2 minutes ago, StringerBell said:

I mostly agree with Daveo, the FA Cup doesn't have the appeal about it it once did, even in the 90's. And while the FA Cup is there every year, the chance of promotion isn't. So promotion should be the priority for me. 

But not knowing the year of when we won the FA Cup or even one players name? What the hell? It was the first FA Cup after the war. It's not hard to remember. And there was a bar at the end of Sadlergate named after one of the players when you would have been a youth out on the town Daveo.

Was in the 40's! I can't even remember what I had for dinner last night and it was over 30 years before I was even born.

I would love to see how many could honestly without using Google name the team and year we won it. I'm sure plenty can but I bet plenty won't be able to and even knowing that what kind of game was it, how did we play? Did the shoreline flatter us?

Talk to me about that 97/98 season and I'll be right there with you, getting served a watery lager at half time just 15 years old. The season ticket book, white booklet with the ram and yellow scarf under it, the days you ripped the ticket out not swiped a card.

The season I was sat there with me mum watching the Queen drive round the track opening the ground, a real buzz about the place. Driving past as it was being built, getting my North Stand season ticket stood in the temporary cabins out side.

Lots of memories, lots, not an entry on a Wiki page that happened long before I was even born and a game that nobody can remember, that old it can't even be remastered for DVD.

Leave all that for the 18 year old Forest fans on social media still buzzing how they won a cup twice before they were even born. Not even the same competition it is now

15 minutes ago, Daveo said:

Paul Lambert openly spoke about it whilst at Villa.....

http://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwich-city/poll_do_you_agree_with_former_norwich_city_boss_paul_lambert_that_the_fa_cup_is_a_distraction_1_3174028

I want to see a competition taken seriously and not a distraction just like the league is. I want to say we won the FA Cup in 2016 when all the clubs in England were trying really hard to win it, Derby County did. Not Arsenal went out to Gillingham playing the U18's in Round 3, Man Utd u21's went out to Basingstoke in Round 4

When Paul Lambert speaks, the rest of the world of football stands still and listens.

14 minutes ago, Daveo said:

Was in the 40's! I can't even remember what I had for dinner last night and it was over 30 years before I was even born.

I would love to see how many could honestly without using Google name the team and year we won it. I'm sure plenty can but I bet plenty won't be able to and even knowing that what kind of game was it, how did we play? Did the shoreline flatter us?

Talk to me about that 97/98 season and I'll be right there with you, getting served a watery lager at half time just 15 years old. The season ticket book, white booklet with the ram and yellow scarf under it, the days you ripped the ticket out not swiped a card.

The season I was sat there with me mum watching the Queen drive round the track opening the ground, a real buzz about the place. Driving past as it was being built, getting my North Stand season ticket stood in the temporary cabins out side.

Lots of memories, lots, not an entry on a Wiki page that happened long before I was even born and a game that nobody can remember, that old it can't even be remastered for DVD.

Leave all that for the 18 year old Forest fans on social media still buzzing how they won a cup twice before they were even born. Not even the same competition it is now

I know it was in the 40's which is probably why I could have only named you three players. Although I am slightly annoyed at myself as by having a quick google, I really should have remembered at least four. Not entirely sure about who played better but think it went to extra time? I'm also aware the ball burst.

But that's not the point in making. Obviously you're going to remember things when you were there to experience them. But this was the first FA Cup after the war where previously a lot of the footballers were stuck in a ditch or a prison camp in Europe somewhere. It's not just part of Derby County history, it's a significant part of football history. 

This reminds me of an episode of Never Mind the Buzzcocks. Some one out of Steps suggested she couldn't be expected to know who some popstar was as this popstar was around before she was even born, as though that was a justification for ignorance. Mark Lamarr replied that he wasn't born when Napoleon was around but if he was standing In front of him he'd still have a good guess at which one he was.

19 minutes ago, rynny said:

Man City are taking it fairly serious I would say

Are Derby? A keeper making his professional debut, a defender yet to play a league game since joining, a defender yet to play this season coming back from injury, a midfielder also coming back from injury and a winger making his debut in English football.

Pretty much a team of strangers out there. Magic!

Archived