The Brummie accent - northernmost point

Strange question, but where does the Brummie accent end and the East Midlands accent start in terms of the locals' speech?

I reckon somewhere between Lichfield and Burton, so I'm going to plump for Alrewas. There's no doubt that places like Swad and Ashby have East Midlands accents but somewhere like Tamworth is very Brummie.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're moving north-east, so i'd agree with you, Alrewas is about right.

Moving due north from Brum, the cut off point for the brummie accent is Blithfield reservoir between Rugeley and Uttoxeter.

Well known saying in Utch is "south of the res, yamyam, north of Utch, stokie"

Rugeley and Utch are about 12 miles apart yet the accent is completely different.

13 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

Moving due north from Brum, the cut off point for the brummie accent is Blithfield reservoir between Rugeley and Uttoxeter.

Rugeley and Utch are about 12 miles apart yet the accent is completely different.

Stoke is the worst accent, a mix of scouse and brummie (scummie :lol:)

1 hour ago, uttoxram75 said:

Have you noticed Ashbourne / Mayfield? Only 2 miles. Huge difference. Derby and Stoke. 

2 hours ago, TheHomunculusLives said:

Strange question, but where does the Brummie accent end and the East Midlands accent start in terms of the locals' speech?

I reckon somewhere between Lichfield and Burton, so I'm going to plump for Alrewas. There's no doubt that places like Swad and Ashby have East Midlands accents but somewhere like Tamworth is very Brummie.

Mate, go in the pubs, schools in and around Swas, Measham, Ashby, in fact all surrounding villages and you will soon realise the Brummie invasion is taking place. Miserable feckers most of them.

Curse of the M42

2 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

This thread is currently favourite to be locked.

I'm off for a kipper tie (milk, one sugar) then i'll be back to check on the venomous, vitriolic attacks on may, thee knowst.

i , for one , am proud to have a Stokie as a Rams fan , i mean , we even managed to convert 

an American ..

3 hours ago, Zag zig said:

Mate, go in the pubs, schools in and around Swas, Measham, Ashby, in fact all surrounding villages and you will soon realise the Brummie invasion is taking place. Miserable feckers most of them.

Curse of the M42

Yes - I was about to say that I reckon Ashby was about on the border

Leave the Stokies to luke in their bukes...

11 minutes ago, ValeRam said:

Yes - I was about to say that I reckon Ashby was about on the border

Leave the Stokies to luke in their bukes...

That's the true test of a stokie. If you pronounce "look", "luke", and "book", "buke"  then you are a chipeater.

Utch is half and half, some of us pronounce it "luck" or "buck"

moz5a can fuke off....

Archived