Surely it's time for some outs

admira

If Blackman signs, I make it 25 players that would probably expect to be in the match day squad, meaning there is no room for seven of them. Surely we are now going to see at least a  handful leaving. 

Carson
Grant

Forsyth
Warnock

Christie
Baird

Keogh
Shackell
Pearce
Buxton
Shotton

Thorne
Johnson
Butterfield
Hendrick
Hughes
Bryson
Hanson

Ince
Russell
Weimann
Camara

Martin
Blackman
Bent

Add to this others that have played for or been on the fringe of the first team:

Dawkins
Bennett
Albentosa
Sammon
Thomas
Calero
Roos

That's 32 players, almost enough for three teams. 

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would also like to see some of the fringe senior professionals and younger players that will never make it here moved on, not just to reduce the size of the squad overall but also to clear the path to better promote some of our more talented youth players. Look at how well Rawson is doing at Rotherham, but here someone like Shotton or Buxton is blocking his progress. Similarly, how long are we going to persist with someone like Thomas when we have the much more talented, younger Zanzala?

I hope Jake gets a decent move - he's been a great servant and has far surpassed the initial expectations of him when Clough signed him. He is a solid Championship defender but I can't ever see him being Premiership quality, so probably the right time to leave for him and us.  Dawkins likewise - he needs to nail down a regular place somewhere as he's spent his whole career being a fringe player.

I would prefer to keep Shotton for the rest of the season for his versatility. Roos is clearly not going to make it here as Mitchell is more highly rated and sadly it doesn't look like Bennett is ever going to fulfil his early promise.

2 hours ago, cosmic said:

Wouldn't be surprised to see Pearce and Baird asking to leave. They'll both want game time ready for the EUROs.

I'm not a fan of Baird's, but he's currently the only experienced cover we have for Christie and Warnock if one gets injured, so we need to try and keep him if we aren't bringing anyone else in as Clement suggests. Lowe and Ssesawakambo would both be gambles at the business end of the the season.

3 minutes ago, r_wilcockson said:

I'm not a fan of Baird's, but he's currently the only experienced cover we have for Christie and Warnock if one gets injured, so we need to try and keep him if we aren't bringing anyone else in as Clement suggests. Lowe and Ssesawakambo would both be gambles at the business end of the the season.

Rather gamble with someone who's best years are ahead of them, rather than 5 years ago. At least those pair have enough mobility and pace to recover from mistakes.

Plenty of players there that would benefit with some first team football, whether it be on loan or a permanent move.

Now we have options in midfield I'd like to see Hanson go out on loan to a club at a decent level but I guess that is all depending on if said club actually want him.

Shotton seems to be the favored cover so maybe loan Pearce out for a month or so, get him some games under his belt.

15 minutes ago, Srg said:

Rather gamble with someone who's best years are ahead of them, rather than 5 years ago. At least those pair have enough mobility and pace to recover from mistakes.

The point of playing experienced players in high-pressure games at the business end of the season is that they're far less likely to make mistakes in the first place. 

55 minutes ago, TheHomunculusLives said:

I hope Jake gets a decent move - he's been a great servant and has far surpassed the initial expectations of him when Clough signed him. He is a solid Championship defender but I can't ever see him being Premiership quality, so probably the right time to leave for him and us.  Dawkins likewise - he needs to nail down a regular place somewhere as he's spent his whole career being a fringe player.

I would prefer to keep Shotton for the rest of the season for his versatility. Roos is clearly not going to make it here as Mitchell is more highly rated and sadly it doesn't look like Bennett is ever going to fulfil his early promise.

Shotton " versatility"!! 

Yup...he can panic at left back, right back, centre half and probably midfield too!! 

4 hours ago, admira said:

If Blackman signs, I make it 25 players that would probably expect to be in the match day squad, meaning there is no room for seven of them. Surely we are now going to see at least a  handful leaving. 

Carson
Grant

Forsyth
Warnock

Christie
Baird

Keogh
Shackell
Pearce
Buxton
Shotton

Thorne
Johnson
Butterfield
Hendrick
Hughes
Bryson
Hanson - Loan

Ince
Russell
Weimann
Camara

Martin
Blackman
Bent

Add to this others that have played for or been on the fringe of the first team:

Dawkins
Bennett - Loan
Albentosa
Sammon
Thomas
Calero
Roos

That's 32 players, almost enough for three teams. 

get rid of the highlighted...

9 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

Plenty of players there that would benefit with some first team football, whether it be on loan or a permanent move.

Now we have options in midfield I'd like to see Hanson go out on loan to a club at a decent level but I guess that is all depending on if said club actually want him.

Shotton seems to be the favored cover so maybe loan Pearce out for a month or so, get him some games under his belt.

I'd personally like to see Hanson in the matchday squad. For me he's better than Baird in midfield, both physically and in his positional sense. He could probably also provide cover at full back if needed.

It does worry be that Shotton is not only in the squad but that he appears to be the preferred backup to Shackell. It's such a massive drop in quality as we saw at Leeds. For me this is our greatest potential risk. If we lose Shackell we will struggle.

1 minute ago, ramsbottom said:

get rid of the highlighted...

Not sure I would even loan Bennett out. Hasn't really impressed me in U21 games this season. 

Archived