Surely it's time for some outs

admira

1 hour ago, Mafiabob said:

To go: Dawkins, Bucko, Roos, probably Shotts, 

Think Bennett and a couple of others will get sent out on loan. 

I'd go with that list only because I think Jake more than any deserves to be playing regular football for someone.

Also I wonder if young Lowe might get a youth loan for a month or so with a 24 hour recall, purely as it would help him be ready IF Warnock did pick up a serious knock as Baird likely to be matchday cover anyway. Maybe to someone like Burton.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

I'd go with that list only because I think Jake more than any deserves to be playing regular football for someone.

Also I wonder if young Lowe might get a youth loan for a month or so with a 24 hour recall, purely as it would help him be ready IF Warnock did pick up a serious knock as Baird likely to be matchday cover anyway. Maybe to someone like Burton.

Don't think Lowe will go anywhere... If anything, I probably missed one young lad who will surely benefit from being on for rest of season... Jamie Hanson.

1 minute ago, StockholmRam said:

Do you go to many u21 games Saint? Any of our young uns really catching the eye? 

I go to a few and also have a friend who goes to them all the time and fills me in when I miss, but I rarely stay for the whole thing. Don't really have the time, just swing by when the opportunity presents itself. 

Calero and Zanzala are entertaining. Santos as well. Lowe always looked too good for it all. But they're all fairly well known. The lad Elsnik has recently been promoted from the U18s, he's only 17 so the youngest lad in the U21s. Started a couple of games and been on the bench for a few others and has looked tidy. Looks at about the same standard as many of the older lads which is very promising.   

2 hours ago, Mafiabob said:

To go: Dawkins, Bucko, Roos, probably Shotts, 

Think Bennett and a couple of others will get sent out on loan. 

I agree with this but I think roos leaving would be sad , I always wished that would work out because I've always thought he's had potential that's been wasted

22 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Don't think Lowe will go anywhere... If anything, I probably missed one young lad who will surely benefit from being on for rest of season... Jamie Hanson.

Probably right on Lowe, with Hanson I'd be more keen to give him a chance to come on for Thorne personally, but I suspect a reshuffle of Johnson, Butterfield, Hendrick or even Bryson when fit more likely. Be interesting for me to see if Hanson gets a start in the Thorne role on Saturday.

Just now, TheHomunculusLives said:

What about some of the lads who've been around the u21 set up for a while now - Bunjaku, Koblenz, McDonald?

From what I gather Guy and Cover are two of the most highly rated youngsters you haven't mentioned so far.

All of the U21s are good really. Just not "flair-y". I like Koblenz, but I'm biased as his name is the name of a town in the first limerick I ever learned. 

As I just wrote in another thread, I'd not be too upset to see Weimann leave. Just don't think he's got what it takes. Reminds me of Cywka.

i also think he might do better in a central role for a weaker team.

i'd like us to keep Johnny. 

Really want to see Bryson back and firing well.

sad to see Bucko go, but understandable when he's behind Pearce in the pecking order. 

And for all that is weak about Shotton, he does make sense from a utility point of view.

to downscale I'd see Weimann, Bucko, Dawkins and a couple of the younger guys go out on loans to weaker championship/league one teams...just to balance the books like.

1 hour ago, ramsbottom said:

Exactly as Ramsbottom has said;
Out:
Shotton
Bent                                                                                                                                                 Dawkins

Loan:
Bennett                                                                                                                                            Hanson

Edit: Now why have Dawkins and Hanson gone over there? ----->

35 minutes ago, dcfcreece1601 said:

I agree with this but I think roos leaving would be sad , I always wished that would work out because I've always thought he's had potential that's been wasted

I think his loan at Rotherham didn't help at all.

35 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

Probably right on Lowe, with Hanson I'd be more keen to give him a chance to come on for Thorne personally, but I suspect a reshuffle of Johnson, Butterfield, Hendrick or even Bryson when fit more likely. Be interesting for me to see if Hanson gets a start in the Thorne role on Saturday.

Think he has a lot of talent, but if Thorne is only going to be out short term, think it would benefit Jamie to get some cracking game time at another champ club or a promotion chasing L1 club... Somewhere like Coventry would be ideal for me

Sell:

Grant - Summer

Pearce - Summer

Shotton - Summer

Baird - Summer

Buxton (reluctently) - Either

Bryson - Either

Hendrick? - Summer

Bent - Summer or use in a deal in Jan

Roos - Either

Dawkins - Jan

Warnock - Summer

Loan:

Bennet

Thomas

Hanson

Lowe

Mitchell

Calero

3 minutes ago, JW37 said:

Sell:

Grant - Summer

Pearce - Summer

Shotton - Summer

Baird - Summer

Bryson - Either

Hendrick? - Summer

Roos - Either

Dawkins - Jan

Warnock - Summer

Loan:

Bennet

Thomas

Hanson

Lowe

Mitchell

Calero

Hendrick? It would have to be a pretty good offer. He has his flaws, but he's an international midfielder and can score goals that arguably no-one else in our squad can - against Leeds for example.

4 minutes ago, JW37 said:

Sell:

Grant - Summer

Pearce - Summer

Shotton - Summer

Baird - Summer

Bryson - Either

Hendrick? - Summer

Roos - Either

Dawkins - Jan

Warnock - Summer

Loan:

Bennet

Thomas

Hanson

Lowe

Mitchell

Calero

I agree with all but the bolded, Warnock's played well and deserves a new deal, especially with long-term concerns over Forsyth's injury. Baird is versatile, club captain, can't see him being sold; and Buxton is quite clearly the heart and soul of the team who seems like the sort who may be happy with a squad role in the Prem (if we go up).

Squad next season may look something like:

Carson
Back-up
Mitchell

Christie
Baird

Keogh
Shackell
New CB
Buxton

Warnock
Forsyth
Max Lowe?

Thorne
Hanson

Johnson
Butterfield
Hughes
New CM

Camara
Ince
Russell/Weimann
New winger

Martin
Blackman

I agree with many of the views, time to move on for:
Buxton (back to Burton?), Bent (Out to the Middle East or USA for a payday), Dawkins (to MLS, USA)

It's more complicated with Weimann and Russell.  Both have ability but I am not convinced our forward three set-up really works for them.  I also think Ince is twice the player when playing through the centre and cutting in, not out wide.  I'd like to see us providing supporting forwards more centrally, off Martin (in the style of Bryson).  Our midfield would then need to flex to provide the width / cover for full-backs (then we'd need a younger, faster LB).  I wonder if the new signings hint at a change.

Hanson could be sent out on loan, although I wonder if being around our Prem chasing first-team may actually be really beneficial, not for the others but for a combative defensive midfielder I think this is good.  Our formation uses a defensive midfielder and he watches and trains with one of the best (Thorne).

32 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Think he has a lot of talent, but if Thorne is only going to be out short term, think it would benefit Jamie to get some cracking game time at another champ club or a promotion chasing L1 club... Somewhere like Coventry would be ideal for me

But would it be any good for him?

As I understand it, lots of negativity over Bent. He's only 31 and has been around the prem for many years. Our system doesn't suit him granted, but if our aim is to produce a squad for the prem, surely bent should be in it. He is as good as anyone playing on the shoulder of the last defender. I know martin's position has been nailed on for a while now, but without runners from midfield supporting him (Bryson) he is more ineffectual. Maybe the time for other systems to come into play where bent could be used more. Just a thought with all this talk of new signings plugging the gap. 

Archived