The amount of money we're spending

Just now, Grimbeard said:

Assuming that we stay clear of FFP sanctions, and the club has assured us that this will be the case, then Mel can spend his money any way he damn well pleases.

We should sit back and enjoy the ride.

No argument here.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, StockholmRam said:

This season you mean G Star? 

I don't see that really. Great to be 2nd start of new year. Surprised really. Up and above where I expected us to be. I was hoping for top 6 at a push. It can take time for new managers/ head coaches and a ruck of new players to settle and gel. 

Im sure I heard MM say this was not a " pressure to get into the prem" season. Be nice if we do though. 

Yes this season.

We finished 7th or 8th (I've never actually looked at the league table) last season and have spent in the region of £20m to £25m (at a guess) I would certainly be expecting more that a 'top 6 at a push'.

3 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Yes this season.

We finished 7th or 8th (I've never actually looked at the league table) last season and have spent in the region of £20m to £25m (at a guess) I would certainly be expecting more that a 'top 6 at a push'.

See this worries me. Not for you personally but for our supporters in general. We all know how moany it can be in certain areas of our stadium and if we drop out of top 2 ( which is a real possibility) then there could be murmurings and shall we say " vocal complaints" towards the head coach, team, even players... 

The money spent is not a guarantee in first season, or any other season, of promotion. In some ways having a new head coach and 7 new players literally does take time to gel. For us to be where we are top 2 right now is an amazing achievement in my book. And to be honest we have not played anywhere near our full potential yet. So it's a very very good start but I do advise caution and consideration to our season. The money spent is only a small part of the overall picture.

37 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

i think with inflation that Cox would have spent around 50 million nowadays...incredible when you think of it.

I cannot remember being so 'entitled' back then, I just loved us being competitive in every game!

2 hours ago, StockholmRam said:

See this worries me. Not for you personally but for our supporters in general. We all know how moany it can be in certain areas of our stadium and if we drop out of top 2 ( which is a real possibility) then there could be murmurings and shall we say " vocal complaints" towards the head coach, team, even players... 

The money spent is not a guarantee in first season, or any other season, of promotion. In some ways having a new head coach and 7 new players literally does take time to gel. For us to be where we are top 2 right now is an amazing achievement in my book. And to be honest we have not played anywhere near our full potential yet. So it's a very very good start but I do advise caution and consideration to our season. The money spent is only a small part of the overall picture.

The expenditure of such amounts literally has to be turned into promotion or regarded as failure.

Otherwise what was the point in spending the money? Why not stick with the squad we had which has challenged for promotion 2 seasons running (although I am aware of the injury situation).

After all surely PC was brought in as an improvement on SM? 

10 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

The expenditure of such amounts literally has to be turned into promotion or regarded as failure.

Otherwise what was the point in spending the money? Why not stick with the squad we had which has challenged for promotion 2 seasons running (although I am aware of the injury situation).

After all surely PC was brought in as an improvement on SM? 

Eventually yes. But not this season. Be lovely and is possible but should not be demanded. 

6 minutes ago, mozza said:

i do worry that we maybe are buying 'like for like' players , and would sooner buy one quality player 

than three average players for the same money .. 

So i see where Homunculust is coming from ..

Is it Nottingham?

1 minute ago, ossieram said:

Is it Nottingham?

lol , no , at least i don't think so , i should have added to my post that i think BJ and Butters have improved 

our squad enormously , and pleased they are here , unsure about other signings tho , jury's out ..

1 hour ago, TheHomunculusLives said:

Midway born and bred gentlemen!

Oh no I feel ashamed now!

1 hour ago, mozza said:

Currently home to South Derbyshires best pub at the moment , imo ,  i'll let you

guess which one i mean .. :D

Not The Wheel?

On 6 January 2016 at 00:04, TheHomunculusLives said:

Is anyone else a bit concerned by the amount of money we've been throwing around since Clement took over - and the standard of player we're investing in? £20 million in the summer and now Camara and probably Blackman too. That's a serious level of investment - more than some Premiership clubs.

Granted, we are second in the league and generally playing well but surely that's the minimum we should expect bearing in mind we were already a strong team before the summer spending spree and this is a weak division. I reckon McClaren or even Clough could have done the same with such strong financial backing.

Anyway, I guess the point I'm trying to make is that we're spending big money on players who are solid rather than spectacular and I wonder if we could be doing more with our apparent new found wealth? 

Well I'm really glad that at last somebody has raised this issue. I make that very nearly £25 Million that our beloved Chairman Mr Morris has spent on our promotion challenge this season. Not concerned about whether or not Mr Morris can afford it, I'm very confident he can with ease. It's falling fowl of the FFP rules in the coming seasons should we fail again to gain promotion that concerns me a little, as I don't want us to go back to the nightmare situation we had under Clough & just before. Having studied the new rules & limits for this season, the limit in losses allowed is up to £39 Million over the next 3 years. That equates to £13 Million in losses each season. Now we don't seem to be selling any players & haven't been for a few years now, so that doesn't help bring the expenditure down at all. Ok the Club & Chairman have spun the dice it seems as should we go up then no problem at all, after all if we go up & finish bottom of the Prem next season we still make £120 Million just in Sky money. It could also be said that big attendances are also adding a very nice sum to our coffers. But should we fail I worry that this sort of expenditure could mean we suffer many sanctions both financial & in other ways. It will certainly be very interesting to read the balance sheet for this season when it's finally published.

As we all know players wages totally kill off any reasonable profit a successfully run club like Derby County should comfortably make. After doing a little bit of research the only club I could find that have recently published there financial results for last season is Brighton & Hove Albion. They seem from an outsiders point of view a well run club, their the only club that come anywhere near what we get in regard to regular attendances. So overall probably have a similar overall income to us. Well they lost £8 Million last season, & that included transfer market income of nearly £15 Million from selling three of their better players. 

So were does that leave us in the whole sceam of things I wonder ?. It might certainly be a case that we probably can't afford not to get promoted this season. KEEP THE FAITH I suppose, I'm sure Mr Rush & Mr Morris know what there doing.

On 1/6/2016 at 16:11, Stedcfc said:

I think one thing that is important in all of this is the money in the Premiership next season going through the roof. You might say that only matters if we get promoted but it isn't as straight forward as that.

Every decent player in the championship has increased in value as a result of the extra money available (and therefore the money owners are willing to spend to get there).

Mel alluded to this in one of his interviews, but now is the perfect time to spend money on players as over the next year or so their value is only likely to go one way with the increased Premiership money.

Obviously players values are subject to performance too but if Blackman is a player who can play a vital part in a team getting to the Premier League then he's worth £2m, to us or to anybody else hoping to get there.

Player values in England in general are only going to go one way (up!).

Well I for one am not worried at all, I can understand the points some are raising, but the above should

answer any doubts that you have about the players values, and If the money is well spent.

This is not opinion its a fact.  Can't believe that the Rams Finance guys have got their sums wrong

with regard to FFP.   :ermm:

If we don't get promoted we go again with a vastly improved squad, until we win  every match! 

If we get promoted, and need to buy "Prem players" then we sell some, that is, the players

that got us promoted, and are now Fully experienced and know what it takes for a sustained promotion push.

We paid 6 mil for Johnson, and you think that the teams who just miss out this time won't.

they'll snatch our hand off.  :thumbsup:

Archived