The amount of money we're spending

12 minutes ago, TheHomunculusLives said:

Courteous bunch on this forum these days aren't you? I posted for years on this site's predecessor Ramzone as ThePekingHomunculus and am really disappointed by the infantile, insulting responses from some of today's posters.  If you don't agree with my point of view that's fine, but if you don't have anything constructive to say then why not just stay silent?

Maybe has something to do with the fact that you (re)appear from nowhere and in your "first" post, criticise the strategy & managment of the club by claiming that we're wasting money on sub-standard players. The classic WUM tactic.

If you are genuine, you're not exactly endearing yourself to other posters.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, TheHomunculusLives said:

Is anyone else a bit concerned by the amount of money we've been throwing around since Clement took over - and the standard of player we're investing in? £20 million in the summer and now Camara and probably Blackman too. That's a serious level of investment - more than some Premiership clubs.

Granted, we are second in the league and generally playing well but surely that's the minimum we should expect bearing in mind we were already a strong team before the summer spending spree and this is a weak division. I reckon McClaren or even Clough could have done the same with such strong financial backing.

Anyway, I guess the point I'm trying to make is that we're spending big money on players who are solid rather than spectacular and I wonder if we could be doing more with our apparent new found wealth? 

Butterfield , Shackell, Johnson , Blackman ,Ince ,Carson and Camara are good signings and quite spectacular for the Championship.

Baird and Wiemann and Pearce and Bent are solid championship players nowadays and are good for DCFC .

You need a strong squad to get promoted .

You only need to look at last season to see what happened when we fell from 5 points clear at halfway to 8th to know what can happen with a few injuries. 

11 hours ago, Rampage said:

If you were told that the Rams would be second at New Year and would have spent £25 to get there, would you have thought that it was money well spent? I would. However it is not my money.

25 quid would definitely have been money well spent.

It's a close call though between that and a Saturday night curry and wine for me and the missus.

We had a reasonable squad and team at Derby when Clement arrived but we needed to push on and that's what we have done .

The missing ingredient in attack has been addressed ie PACE and that has been bolstered with the addition of Blackman and Camara.

Thanks Mel whatever happens now you have tried as all the staff at DCFC have 

Hope we make it to the Premier League where we belong. 

DCFC onwards and upwards. 

Some really good points in the most recent posts - thanks to everyone who had come back with constructive contributions. 

I am sorry if I sound negative and I guess if we go up automatically this season no-one will worry what we spent to get there. 

But if we don't make the top two then I think big questions need to be asked.

29 minutes ago, TheHomunculusLives said:

Some really good points in the most recent posts - thanks to everyone who had come back with constructive contributions. 

I am sorry if I sound negative and I guess if we go up automatically this season no-one will worry what we spent to get there. 

But if we don't make the top two then I think big questions need to be asked.

Except they don't do they?

Mel has already said it's not do or die this year and we're still withing FFP

Can you clarify the BIG questions please?

We were some poor finishing and a freak late goal away from getting promoted in 2013-14.

It's pretty obvious that the distraction to McClaren and associated dressing room unrest stopped us going up last season, although we were also very unlucky with injuries, especially up front.

We have now invested a further £25 million in players - the biggest injection of spending since the Pickering era and way in excess of what Clough and McClaren were given. Other than Boro, there are no other teams in this league who are anything special.

So if don't go up this season with all the help Clement has been given, I think we should be questioning his ability to do his job.

2 minutes ago, TheHomunculusLives said:

We were some poor finishing and a freak late goal away from getting promoted in 2013-14.

It's pretty obvious that the distraction to McClaren and associated dressing room unrest stopped us going up last season, although we were also very unlucky with injuries, especially up front.

We have now invested a further £25 million in players - the biggest injection of spending since the Pickering era and way in excess of what Clough and McClaren were given. Other than Boro, there are no other teams in this league who are anything special.

So if don't go up this season with all the help Clement has been given, I think we should be questioning his ability to do his job.

I think considering it's his first full season as a head coach at any level and that he's got a 2 point per game ratio, questioning his ability is at best negative, at worst idiotic. 

You speak like you want to see us fall short just to prove yourself right. 

2 hours ago, TheHomunculusLives said:

I love the fact that just because I express a point of view that's a little controversial I apparently don't attend matches.

I am looking at the long term here and I am not convinced a lot of the players we have signed are worth what we paid or good long term investments. I understand we want to get promoted at all costs this season due to the Premiership gold mine available from next season but I would rather we kept a bit more of our powder dry or invested in really good players who could step up into the Premiership. But I guess Mel Morris might well be happy to rebuild again when we go up and invest another huge sum replacing the players who aren't good enough.

if we get promoted, then they were all worth what was paid.

1 hour ago, TheHomunculusLives said:

Courteous bunch on this forum these days aren't you? I posted for years on this site's predecessor Ramzone as ThePekingHomunculus and am really disappointed by the infantile, insulting responses from some of today's posters.  If you don't agree with my point of view that's fine, but if you don't have anything constructive to say then why not just stay silent?

For anyone who is interested, I would personally have brought in a couple more high quality Premiership loans as we did with Thorne originally and others like Wisdom and Ibe. Players who could make the difference at this level rather than spending big bucks on squad players.

I am really struggling to see why we need to pay significant fees for so many players - I genuinely don't understand why we have just paid £3 million for Blackman as well as £1.5 million for Camara when we already have Martin, Bent, Weimann, Ince, Russell, Dawkins, Calero and Zanzala. 

I think it's cos new posters usually have to earn their stripes before being able to post an article, god know how you managed to get past the 30 post qualifier! @Daveo ? Newbies ease their way in.

23k season ticket holders

29k plus home gates

renaming of the stadium

Everytime I'm on Twitter it's "X company has announced a partnership with DCFC"

shirt sales

insurance from Hughes and Forsyth injuries

Massive income right there. 

5 minutes ago, TheHomunculusLives said:

He's doing a decent job, but I think most competent managers who inherited a squad that could have been promoted in both the last two seasons and were then given £25 million to spend should have achieved the same or maybe even better.

If and when he finishes the job I will give him more credit. 

I'm only guessing here but I'm not sure he will lose any sleep if you gave him more credit now or when he's finished the job. Who said it is Clements idea to spend more? I really can't see him knocking on Mel's door saying 'we need more players'. 

16 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

if we get promoted, then they were all worth what was paid.

I think it's cos new posters usually have to earn their stripes before being able to post an article, god know how you managed to get past the 30 post qualifier! @Daveo ? Newbies ease their way in.

Earn my stripes? Isn't that a little patronising? As I've said before, I was posting regularly on the Ramzone site for years. Just because I've opened a new account here doesn't mean I haven't contributed previously.

Not that it should matter. As long as personal attacks and offensive behaviour are avoided, then everyone has an equal right to express their views on Derby County, whether they've posted a thousand times or just once.

1 minute ago, TheHomunculusLives said:

Earn my stripes? Isn't that a little patronising? As I've said before, I was posting regularly on the Ramzone site for years. Just because I've opened a new account here doesn't mean I haven't contributed previously.

What he meant was that the site is supposed to be set up so that you can't start a new topic unless you've posted 30 times. Clearly didn't happen in your case.

9 minutes ago, TheHomunculusLives said:

Not that it should matter. As long as personal attacks and offensive behaviour are avoided, then everyone has an equal right to express their views on Derby County, whether they've posted a thousand times or just once.

You must of had a right blast on Ramzone then years ago... Especially around the time the now defunct RPG and RamsTrust members on there were constantly at loggerheads... 

Mel Morris has said that if we don't go up this year, Clement will NOT be sacked.

It's his FIRST year in coaching and as a novice he is achieving two points a game in a championship full of ex-Premier League managers. He is performing as well as Aitor Karanka did in his first season.

39 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

What he meant was that the site is supposed to be set up so that you can't start a new topic unless you've posted 30 times. Clearly didn't happen in your case.

Still is but anyone that signed up before we made the change will be able to open new threads. New members are put in a different group now when they sign up until they hit 30 posts and automatically moved to the normal member group 

1 hour ago, TheHomunculusLives said:

No we shouldn't be questioning his ability to do his job tbh. 

2 hours ago, ossieram said:

Maybe they had a look at how things worked out when we were loaning players and thought buying would be the better option seeing as we still ended up in the Championship after our loans.  

Assuming that we stay clear of FFP sanctions, and the club has assured us that this will be the case, then Mel can spend his money any way he damn well pleases.

We should sit back and enjoy the ride.

Edit: No idea why Ossieram has been quoted, nowt t' do w' me.

Archived