The amount of money we're spending

Is anyone else a bit concerned by the amount of money we've been throwing around since Clement took over - and the standard of player we're investing in? £20 million in the summer and now Camara and probably Blackman too. That's a serious level of investment - more than some Premiership clubs.

Granted, we are second in the league and generally playing well but surely that's the minimum we should expect bearing in mind we were already a strong team before the summer spending spree and this is a weak division. I reckon McClaren or even Clough could have done the same with such strong financial backing.

Anyway, I guess the point I'm trying to make is that we're spending big money on players who are solid rather than spectacular and I wonder if we could be doing more with our apparent new found wealth? 

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's up to the people paying the dosh out to worry about whether their investment is paying off or not, and I think Mel Morris is pretty satisfied with the way things are right now thank you very much.

As long as we're buying the right players, I'm happy. And I think we are. About £15 million of that money was on Johnson, Butterfield and Ince who are paying their fees off already.

I think one thing that is important in all of this is the money in the Premiership next season going through the roof. You might say that only matters if we get promoted but it isn't as straight forward as that.

Every decent player in the championship has increased in value as a result of the extra money available (and therefore the money owners are willing to spend to get there).

Mel alluded to this in one of his interviews, but now is the perfect time to spend money on players as over the next year or so their value is only likely to go one way with the increased Premiership money.

Obviously players values are subject to performance too but if Blackman is a player who can play a vital part in a team getting to the Premier League then he's worth £2m, to us or to anybody else hoping to get there.

Player values in England in general are only going to go one way (up!).

I guess the amount I pay for a season ticket is a similar percentage MM is putting in from his wealth, of course I might be miles out, but you catch my drift, we're all doing our bit, it's his money to spend how he wants, I'm not gonna lose any sleep over it and I'm sure MM is excited to be spending his money this way!!

I have to admit I've had my reservations over the amount we appear to be spending. However, I trust Mel Morris and the various other people who run Derby County to be sensible with our club (MM is a fan himself after all). 

I also can't think of a single player so far who we've signed with MM's money who could be classed as anything other than a success, this squad has gotten us the best start to a Derby season in my lifetime and we're second in the league.

I might be worried were it not for the fact that our CEO and Finance Director have indicated that we have room to manoeuvre on FFP, that gates and other income are clearly up year on year, that our owner is a fan and loaded and that we are clearly well managed off the pitch, starting from a strong base.

If we were to go up this season then the spending in the summer will be relatively small change.  If we don't go up then my view is that the current feel good factor will continue for at least another season, if not longer.  And we are buying/have bought players that under any reasonable expectation meet the basic Sam and Mel requirement - that they are good investments.  In other words we are likely to be able to sell them on for more money than we paid should we have to. The risk therefore is a sensible one.

We were second in the league this time last year with a fraction of the investment. Granted, we have been without our best player this season (Hughes) but even so, second in what is a weak league is the minimum we should expect after spending so much. I personally feel Shackell and Johnson were expensive but safe signings pretty much guaranteed to succeed in the Championship and the jury is out on all the others.

4 minutes ago, TheHomunculusLives said:

We were second in the league this time last year with a fraction of the investment. Granted, we have been without our best player this season (Hughes) but even so, second in what is a weak league is the minimum we should expect after spending so much. I personally feel Shackell and Johnson were expensive but safe signings pretty much guaranteed to succeed in the Championship and the jury is out on all the others.

Why is it weak? Can't be that weak, Forest and Leeds beat us. And Bristol City beat Boro.

We missed the play-offs last season, can't knock any signing if we finish 2nd in May.

That's exactly my point - we have lost to poor Forest and Leeds teams despite the amount of money we've spent. We should be running away with this league with the investment added to what was already a strong squad. I also don't get the argument that we will make profit on our signings - with the possible exception of Ince of he ever discovers some consistency, which of Clement's signings are going to make us money if we sell them? Shackell? Baird? Carson? Steady eddies to get us up but never going to be stellar performers in the Premier League. Butterfield, Pearce and (if he joins) Blackmon are no better than what we had already.

13 minutes ago, TheHomunculusLives said:

That's exactly my point - we have lost to poor Forest and Leeds teams despite the amount of money we've spent. We should be running away with this league with the investment added to what was already a strong squad. I also don't get the argument that we will make profit on our signings - with the possible exception of Ince of he ever discovers some consistency, which of Clement's signings are going to make us money if we sell them? Shackell? Baird? Carson? Steady eddies to get us up but never going to be stellar performers in the Premier League. Butterfield, Pearce and (if he joins) Blackmon are no better than what we had already.

Football doesn't work like that, otherwise Man City would win the Prem every year and Chelsea would be second by a country mile.

As it is (at present in our division) us and Boro are the big spenders this season and we're 1st & 2nd.

As long as it's not on tick. No ABC Loans Company etc.

Whilst what's being spent now is clearly a push at promotion which MM is putting his hand in his pocket for and not sustainable break even and reinvest model of running a club, the prize is considered worth it by those who's cash it is.

I don't expect this to happen year after year if we don't go up, but a more modest period will probably come round, if we do go up to the crazy league we could be in for a good time and we're a whole lot more credible as an outfit to any outside organisations than we were last time.

Week league! Give over From watching boro match they are a better team than all 3 that got promoted and so are we. I'd even say on there day so are hull and burnley. No whipping boys like Blackpool this season. Like every year the championship seems to get harder, if anything this would have been the best season to have had you first season in the prem as it looks like anyone can beat anyone there,

1 hour ago, harryram said:

Week league! Give over From watching boro match they are a better team than all 3 that got promoted and so are we. I'd even say on there day so are hull and burnley. No whipping boys like Blackpool this season. Like every year the championship seems to get harder, if anything this would have been the best season to have had you first season in the prem as it looks like anyone can beat anyone there,

The teams oustide top 6 are pretty weak

Interested to know why it's taken so long for you to post your concerns - after all, the £3m or so spent in this window is quite small compared to the investment made last Summer?

We all have moans or concerns at some time or other - player recruitment, managers' tactics, changing kick off times to suit Sky, formations etc but generally speaking, given our current position of 2nd at the half way stage of the season in a very competitive league, I'm sure the vast majority of us are satisfied with the return on Mels' money. In the final analysis, that's what it is, the Chairmans' dosh and for supporters to criticise about how he, together with his management team have spent that money when we're in the position we are, is both premature and unfair.

Of course you're entitled to say what you think and feel but it might be encouraging to make your second contribution to this forum a bit more positive?

5 hours ago, TheHomunculusLives said:

Sorry, this is what I don't get.

Why is it a 'weak league'? I hear this phrase bandied about times - but in comparison to what? Was it a strong league last year? After all, the promoted teams seem to be doing ok, or is that perhaps because the premier league is 'weak' this year?

Is La Liga weak at the moment? After all, Albentosa has got in their 'team of the week' again, and according to some Derby fans, he's the worst player we have ever had.

Archived