Paul Clement - A touch of class

robglosta

33 minutes ago, Alpha said:

It did backfire. Butterfield was one of the few with the composure to still move the ball when Boro pressed and the game was, happily for us, becoming boring. I thought we'd have our odd chance each and maybe stand a chance of getting something.

Guess he was seeing the pressing from Boro and hoped that having Weimann running off Martin and chasing hoofs might get them to leave us alone a bit or catch them out. Can see the idea. 

In hindsight though, we couldn't even hoof well. Our football was better than our hoofing.

However it's just as worrying that he believed Weimann could change a game.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, RamNut said:

We are learning about the team.

they grind out results week by week, but still seem unable to raise their game for the Imprtant one-offs

The 4231 system seems to be inherently less open and more defensively sound than 433 but we don't have the holding midfielders to play that system. Our wide strikers are mis-firing. ince no longer looks at ease in the wide role - or any role for that matter. I am concerned about George and whether there is still a lingering problem with his injury. To me, he looks a very different player to the dominant collusus we had on loan. We get flashes of the old George but much of the time he looks more tentative, and fearful of scrunching tackles. Yet the system relies on a good holding player and when he is rested or withdrawn we don't have a natural replacement. I know Eddie is very protective of Warnock and I haven't been one of his critics - i even defended him for the sending off v Reading in the cup last year - but I do wonder whether his legs have gone. Thats twice now where we have conceded goals - after 75 (brighton) and 84 minutes (boro) - when Warnock has been stranded upfield and just can't get back, leaving a huge hole in the back four.

the result has certainly left us a bit flat. 

More significantly perhaps, we do seem to have a few cracks appearing.

Did we not beat Hull away, ok they were missing Dawson, but we could argue the same about Hughes, it could have really been his year to shine under Clement. Yet we are still 2nd and maybe when feeling flat, we need to keep looking at the table and our stats compared to 22 other clubs.

Do get what you're saying, but I just imagine what Hull felt like when tinpot Derby with a billy big boots chairman turned up, mugged them scoring 2 flukey goals, parked the bus and defended for their lives, as I'm sure some Hull fans would have seen it that way - perhaps helped them form their own bubble and convince them, once Dawson is back, they strengthen in January, they will breeze past Derby as their wheels fall off.

Just different perspective I guess.

14 minutes ago, rammieib said:

However it's just as worrying that he believed Weimann could change a game.

Guess he just wanted somebody with fast legs to be able to give Boro something to worry about. 

Think we might see something different on that left sooner rather than later. 

Martin plays best when there's some neat football to be played in the final third. Ince is up for it sometimes. Cyrus, Hughes, Hendrick, Butterfield, Thorne, Bryson, Warnock would if he ever had anyone to work with... but Weimann and Russell want to do everything 100mph. They don't allow enough concentrated pressure in the final third. I think Clement will want an all together better footballer. 

13 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

Did we not beat Hull away, ok they were missing Dawson, but we could argue the same about Hughes, it could have really been his year to shine under Clement. Yet we are still 2nd and maybe when feeling flat, we need to keep looking at the table and our stats compared to 22 other clubs.

Do get what you're saying, but I just imagine what Hull felt like when tinpot Derby with a billy big boots chairman turned up, mugged them scoring 2 flukey goals, parked the bus and defended for their lives, as I'm sure some Hull fans would have seen it that way - perhaps helped them form their own bubble and convince them, once Dawson is back, they strengthen in January, they will breeze past Derby as their wheels fall off.

Just different perspective I guess.

I think you've mis-quoted me. I never mentioned Hull?

are you suggesting that beating hull was us raising our game for a big match? Ok true.

but what about Forest twice, Leeds home, boro home and away, Reading last game of the season etc etc.

the last time we really turned it on in a big match was brighton in the play off semi's.

14 minutes ago, RamNut said:

I think you've mis-quoted me. I never mentioned Hull?

are you suggesting that beating hull was us raising our game for a big match? Ok true.

but what about Forest twice, Leeds home, boro home and away, Reading last game of the season etc etc.

the last time we really turned it on in a big match was brighton in the play off semi's.

No you didn't, just I think it's possibly a bit harsh to say we don't raise our game for important one offs and I offered up Hull away as example we can that's all. 

Forest and Leeds games being cold in thought, were only important to me, in that we dropped points. Reading last game, I think showed up the previous Manager had run out of ideas. My only real disappointment was we just didn't perform at Forest but I know what you're saying, it's just that I don't think we have any less need to be positive than Hull fans, other than we have lost to Boro away on their own muck heap. Hull beat Boro 3-0 but lost to us at home, Rotherham away, Preston away I wonder how their fans felt at the time of those defeats?

Personally think this team is still evolving and Clement with it. If we lose our next 2 home games I might worry about our form, but I think we are as you implied earlier almost grinding out results without looking spectacular. In truth bar the Wolves and against a poor Bristol team, we don't seem to have moved up too many gears in matches. I've faith In Clement that there will be more big games to turn it on for us all.

2 hours ago, curtains said:

M8 at the end of the day it's about a top 2 finish as the playoffs are a lottery. .

Hull and Boro are favorites for Top 2 IMO  

Clement can't afford many mistakes in this league  

Hull lost to Rotherham a few weeks ago and won away for the first time in something like 7 weeks yesterday. Added to that, I think they are the most likely of the challenging teams to lose players in January ie. Diame, Hernandez etc. I think us and Boro will begin to pull away a little bit, as we started to do if we hadn't have had to play Boro yesterday.

2 hours ago, curtains said:

M8 at the end of the day it's about a top 2 finish as the playoffs are a lottery. .

Hull and Boro are favorites for Top 2 IMO  

Clement can't afford many mistakes in this league  

Hull and Dery are equal in my book. When Dawson does not play we are better. They got two points as a fluke in their last game or we would be three points clear.These things happen and can decide promotion. Probably go to the wire. Last game they have Rotherham at home and we have Ipswich at home.

1 minute ago, Rampage said:

Hull and Dery are equal in my book. When Dawson does not play we are better. They got two points as a fluke in their last game or we would be three points clear.These things happen and can decide promotion. Probably go to the wire. Last game they have Rotherham at home and we have Ipswich at home.

And they still have to come to fortress Ipro :)

2 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

And they still have to come to fortress Ipro :)

Bruce is a seasoned campaigner and is probably craftier than Clement. Bruce last got Hull promoted by winning games by the odd goal and never looking like a Premiership outfit. He does enough to get promoted . Clement is a big thinker and if we know that we need players then so does he. Getting the right players is the issue.

PC is a class act. Always back a manager for trying to win the game, he has done us proud so far. We were very critical of the dour football at times under Clough, the bringing defenders on at 80 minutes etc. (and then losing anyway).

Delighted with PC and the players. We are in a fabulous position, we need to improve our attacking play to put a marker down on 2nd IMO but confident we can do it.

Think Curtains ability to control the thread is strongly lacking this time... Think the need to up their game for rest of season is required.... 

People may disagree with me here but in my opinion I'd rather lose trying to win than lose trying to defend. It would have been very easy for PC to bring on Pearce or Shotton and hold out for the 0-0 but there's still no guarantee we'd have got the point.

Taking the mentality of going for the 3 points is going to bring you a greater return in the long run than if you settle for the point.

Archived