Paul Clement - A touch of class

robglosta

2 minutes ago, curtains said:

Just enough to stay 1 point behind us with Dawson injured but coming back. 

They have better strikers 

They are essentially a better bet than us for top 2 but the game at the IPRO will be vital. 

We've been able to stay 1 point ahead with Hughes, Bryson and Forsyth out injured for the majority of the season.

An under performing Martin is still only 1 goal behind Hernandez who has been in some of the best form of his life.

They aren't essentially a better bet than us for top 2, you're just in one of your negative moods because we lost a game.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Kernow said:

I appreciate this is your opinion and that, but why are they?

Of course Boro are, but why Hull? We've more points and a bigger GD. We can strengthen in January just as well as they can. They've not looked great, so you cannot argue that we've played poor so will miss out.

They've been bloody lucky with last minute goals recently. If the Reading and QPR games stay 1-1 it's suddenly a 5 point gap. They may take over us in the next few weeks due to the fixtures both clubs have, but I'd consider us favourites to go up ahead of them.

I've heard loads of people saying don't spend in January so which is it then because Hull for sure will. 

The gap is a mere 1 point at the moment and their best defender Dawson has been out including when we played them. 

Just now, curtains said:

I've heard loads of people saying don't spend in January so which is it then because Hull for sure will. 

What does this even mean?

People say don't spend in January so that means we won't? How do you know Hull will for sure and we won't for sure?

This is a strange post that seems you're making an argument just for the sake of it

5 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

We've been able to stay 1 point ahead with Hughes, Bryson and Forsyth out injured for the majority of the season.

An under performing Martin is still only 1 goal behind Hernandez who has been in some of the best form of his life.

They aren't essentially a better bet than us for top 2, you're just in one of your negative moods because we lost a game.

No not at all its my opinion. 

I feel  Boro and Hull will finish above us unless we sort our strikers out 

I reiterate IMO  

Hope it's a wrong opinion but I feel if we don't strengthen by being complacent and stubborn  about Chris Martin it will be playoffs  

It's not what you want to hear fair enough  

11 minutes ago, Kernow said:

What does this even mean?

People say don't spend in January so that means we won't? How do you know Hull will for sure and we won't for sure?

This is a strange post that seems you're making an argument just for the sake of it

Not at all IMO we need to strengthen up front. 

Do you suggest playing Mason Bennett then  because right now I'd have him in over Martin  if we leave it as status quo 

1 minute ago, curtains said:

Not at all IMO we need to strengthen up front. 

Do you suggest playing Mason Bennett then  because right now I'd have him in over Martin  

Again what on earth are you on about? Do you have hidden conversations with yourself on here that nobody knows about?

Where has any mention of Mason Bennett even come from? No I do not suggest that and the fact that you do tells me it's a good time to end this discussion

53 minutes ago, Alpha said:

He tried to win the game. Rather lose trying to win than draw trying to draw. 

No need for him to apologise imo. 

We only lost a game. Bet we get another chance to go top. Maybe only one chance but in the next 20+ matches I think somebody will get a chance. 

If not then so be it. Playing your best and losing isn't anything to be ashamed of

You're half right I.m.o only because I think it's good he refreshingly comes straight to the point and doesn't cover up. He did make a tactical error from what I saw on the stream, but I doubt he's ashamed.

In all probability I wouldn't be surprised if he's not trying to deflect some criticism away from the team and taking it on his own shoulders. True leader.

7 minutes ago, Kernow said:

Again what on earth are you on about? Do you have hidden conversations with yourself on here that nobody knows about?

Where has any mention of Mason Bennett even come from? No I do not suggest that and the fact that you do tells me it's a good time to end this discussion

No I hate talking to you your so arrogant 

Remember conversations about the U21s with you. 

4 minutes ago, curtains said:

No not at all its my opinion. 

I feel  Boro and Hull will finish above us unless we sort our strikers out 

I reiterate IMO  

Hope it's a wrong opinion but I feel if we don't strengthen by being complacent and stubborn  about Chris Martin it will be playoffs  

It's not what you want to hear fair enough  

I'm not against us strengthening, I don't think any Derby fan is.

Hull have done nothing to suggest they are more likely to finish in the top 2 than us this season. We've got more points, a better goal difference, more goals scored, less goals conceded and less losses. The only thing they've got over us is their record against the other teams in the top 6, but they've still got to play away to 4 of those.

1 minute ago, Cam the Ram said:

I'm not against us strengthening, I don't think any Derby fan is.

Hull have done nothing to suggest they are more likely to finish in the top 2 than us this season. We've got more points, a better goal difference, more goals scored, less goals conceded and less losses. The only thing they've got over us is their record against the other teams in the top 6, but they've still got to play away to 4 of those.

But they are Ive heard it countless countless times that we don't need another striker. 

Mention Chris Martin and you need a tin hat on with some Derby Fans. 

1 minute ago, Zag zig said:

Your half right I.m.o only because I think it's good he refreshingly comes straight to the point and doesn't cover up. He did make a tactical error from what I saw on the stream, but I doubt he's ashamed.

In all probability I wouldn't be surprised if he's not trying to deflect some criticism away from the team and taking it on his own shoulders. True leader.

It did backfire. Butterfield was one of the few with the composure to still move the ball when Boro pressed and the game was, happily for us, becoming boring. I thought we'd have our odd chance each and maybe stand a chance of getting something.

Guess he was seeing the pressing from Boro and hoped that having Weimann running off Martin and chasing hoofs might get them to leave us alone a bit or catch them out. Can see the idea. 

In hindsight though, we couldn't even hoof well. Our football was better than our hoofing.

Just now, curtains said:

But they are Ive heard it countless countless times that we don't need another striker. 

And I was one of those, but I'm quite happy to admit I have changed my mind after our recent lack of attacking threat. However, it seems to me like you're putting most of the blame onto Martin, is that fair to say? Because I'd have to disagree with that, he's not been getting the best of service in recent times and the same would happen to any new striker we brought in. If we only have a certain amount to spend, I'd much rather we signed a high quality winger over a striker because we've all seen what Martin can do from the past 2 seasons. He doesn't just go from a back to back 20 goal a season striker to a donkey over night. 

1 minute ago, Alpha said:

It did backfire. Butterfield was one of the few with the composure to still move the ball when Boro pressed and the game was, happily for us, becoming boring. I thought we'd have our odd chance each and maybe stand a chance of getting something.

Guess he was seeing the pressing from Boro and hoped that having Weimann running off Martin and chasing hoofs might get them to leave us alone a bit or catch them out. Can see the idea. 

In hindsight though, we couldn't even hoof well. Our football was better than our hoofing.

Said yesterday I noticed the camera go to Butterfield, he looked slightly surprised to be called off, but I'm not reading too much into it or suggesting anything by it. 

Thought he was going to have Ince running off Martin playing just behind, but it never really happened. Seen a bit of debate about Hendrick, from what I saw with Johnson sitting deep, Hendrick and Butterfield worked better as a combination, that bit he got right to me, regardless of Hendrick not always picking the right option, we did create more problems and for them to think about once G.T went off.

9 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

And I was one of those, but I'm quite happy to admit I have changed my mind after our recent lack of attacking threat. However, it seems to me like you're putting most of the blame onto Martin, is that fair to say? Because I'd have to disagree with that, he's not been getting the best of service in recent times and the same would happen to any new striker we brought in. If we only have a certain amount to spend, I'd much rather we signed a high quality winger over a striker because we've all seen what Martin can do from the past 2 seasons. He doesn't just go from a back to back 20 goal a season striker to a donkey over night. 

This is the dilemma glad Clement is the manager. 

IMO Chris Martin is not the same player  after his injury problems last season 

Mel Morris said at the forum we can get around things if Chris Martin gets injured. 

Ince got a hat trick against Bristol as a central striker  which is clearly his best position 

We are learning about the team.

they grind out results week by week, but still seem unable to raise their game for the important one-offs. 

The 4231 system seems to be inherently less open and more defensively sound than 433 but we don't have the holding midfielders to play that system. Our wide strikers are mis-firing. ince no longer looks at ease in the wide role - or any role for that matter. I am concerned about George and whether there is still a lingering problem with his injury. To me, he looks a very different player to the dominant collusus we had on loan. We get flashes of the old George but much of the time he looks more tentative, and fearful of scrunching tackles. Yet the system relies on a good holding player and when he is rested or withdrawn we don't have a natural replacement. I know Eddie is very protective of Warnock and I haven't been one of his critics - i even defended him for the sending off v Reading in the cup last year - but I do wonder whether his legs have gone. Thats twice now where we have conceded goals - after 75 (brighton) and 84 minutes (boro) - when Warnock has been stranded upfield and just can't get back, leaving a huge hole in the back four.

the result has certainly left us a bit flat. 

More significantly perhaps, we do seem to have a few cracks appearing.

55 minutes ago, curtains said:

Hull is a massive worry and be sure they will strengthen in January. 

Bollards.

Ther Hull who lost to Preston and Rotherham in the last two weeks?

I just think you're having a whinge for the sake of it.

7 minutes ago, eddie said:

Bollards.

Ther Hull who lost to Preston and Rotherham in the last two weeks?

I just think you're having a whinge for the sake of it.

No not at all I want promotion as much as any Derby Fan but I'm still realistic about our chances. 

None of the top 6 are out of the autos by the way  

6 minutes ago, curtains said:

No not at all I want promotion as much as any Derby Fan but I'm still realistic about our chances. 

None of the top 6 are out of the autos by the way  

The fact that you say you are 'worried' about them suggests that you are just a worrier.

4 minutes ago, eddie said:

The fact that you say you are 'worried' about them suggests that you are just a worrier.

Ticket prices will be cheaper in the Championship so worry is not the right word really. 

If we stay in the Championship so be it. 

C'est la vie

Archived