Derby County v Bristol City

Day

9 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

That much of a liability that one of the top British managers of the last 15 years or so picks him regularly for ROI....

Very much a liability at MK Dons too... 

Top player in in my opinion... Yes prone to errors I'll admit....

Problem is people set there stall out on a player and make sure they shout from the rooftops any slight they make... I've been guilty of it in the past I'll admit. Still don't make it right though.

He would walk into pretty much every midfield in this league... And we've got him on the bench.... Pinch yourselves guys... How good is that....

Wrists anyone

He never puts in lazy performances for ROI, he does it for Derby too much. Not a huge amount, but I don't remember the last time he came off the bench and actually provided anything to the team. 

I'm a huge fan of his when he turns up and plays, but if he needs to give his all far more often than he does, especially when he's a sub. 

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, North_Stand_Ram said:

Butterfield was equally poor. Johnson was worse than both of them. I agree though, I don't think Jeff is an impact player at all. He builds his way into games. I'd like to see him start on Tuesday, personally. With a hectic list coming up, using the squad will be important. 

Really? I thought he was the pick of our midfielders. To compare his performance (an assist for Shackell that was cleared off the line, an assist for Johnson, 90% pass accuracy and did a lot of good work defensively) with Hendrick's, who did a grand total of nothing once on, I think that's a little harsh... 

But I do say that based on that one game. Because I felt it was wrong to drop Jeff after the Hull game, just as I said it was wrong to drop Butterfield for the Forest game. But it seems Johnson is undroppable. 

Maybe Clement will surprise me and drop him tomorrow night? But if I could put money on it being Jeff in for Jacob (as per) then I would do. And quite a lot of it. 

Like night follows day.

2 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

He never puts in lazy performances for ROI, he does it for Derby too much. Not a huge amount, but I don't remember the last time he came off the bench and actually provided anything to the team. 

I'm a huge fan of his when he turns up and plays, but if he needs to give his all far more often than he does, especially when he's a sub. 

Think you're wrong.... If he wasn't giving everything from the bench.... Do you think Clementbwoukd still have him here in the squad? He would have Dawkins there (obvious replacement) or A N Other who "gave everything"

Gave you one example already of him changing the game once this season already.... I don't think he's been as bad as many make out....

Think he's a target because of the way he plays.... Not going to defend Saturday as yes him and Johnson were at fault....

Like I say though... If he wasn't trying, he would be nowhere near the 18... Wouldn't you agree?

1 minute ago, Mafiabob said:

Think you're wrong.... If he wasn't giving everything from the bench.... Do you think Clementbwoukd still have him here in the squad? He would have Dawkins there (obvious replacement) or A N Other who "gave everything"

Gave you one example already of him changing the game once this season already.... I don't think he's been as bad as many make out....

Think he's a target because of the way he plays.... Not going to defend Saturday as yes him and Johnson were at fault....

Like I say though... If he wasn't trying, he would be nowhere near the 18... Wouldn't you agree?

I highlight a phrase I used in my post, " Not a huge amount ". 

He doesn't do it every game, or all the time. But he rarely does anything for us after coming off the bench, he doesn't do *badly* always, but we rarely improve.

I just don't think Hendrick can come in for anyone based on the Brighton game, that's all. He did nothing to deserve taking someone else's spot, regardless of how bad anyone else was.

3 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

I highlight a phrase I used in my post, " Not a huge amount ". 

He doesn't do it every game, or all the time. But he rarely does anything for us after coming off the bench, he doesn't do *badly* always, but we rarely improve.

I just don't think Hendrick can come in for anyone based on the Brighton game, that's all. He did nothing to deserve taking someone else's spot, regardless of how bad anyone else was.

Name me a player who manages to do it every game.... Even Shacks made a couple mistakes on Saturday.... Fair enough if you don't think he deserves to be in side.... But the OP I was referring to from Mackworth got my goat.... He isn't a liability at all, he's a top player who yes makes mistakes etc... If he was a liability he wouldn't be here would he....

Fair points on either side of the fence we sit... Just don't think we do him justice at times... And agree himself justice too.

1 minute ago, Mafiabob said:

Name me a player who manages to do it every game.... Even Shacks made a couple mistakes on Saturday.... Fair enough if you don't think he deserves to be in side.... But the OP I was referring to from Mackworth got my goat.... He isn't a liability at all, he's a top player who yes makes mistakes etc... If he was a liability he wouldn't be here would he....

Fair points on either side of the fence we sit... Just don't think we do him justice at times... And agree himself justice too.

I don't agree that he's a liability, every player makes mistakes. And, yes his normal playstyle means he doesn't sprint back to defend. But when YOU lose the ball in your own half, you need to step up and put some effort in to get it back, regardless of your play style. Just left a bad taste in the mouth, that's all. He's done more good than bad this season, but that was a big game, and I'd expect to see more effort from someone trying to get his place back in the starting line-up. 

15 hours ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Staggered anyone who went yesterday and watched Hendrick's half hearted cameo want him to start. 

The bloke is a liability. 

A ridiculous statement considering he was integral to us beating Hull away from home... 1 poor substitute appearance doesn't make a bad player!

Thorne is our ball playing CDM, Johnson the enforcer and Butterfield a poor man's Lampard who gets goals from midfield.

I don't think that three works as a combination even though individually they all have strong points.

Hendrick is the one who runs with the ball most and brings energy and pace to proceedings.

If I was him I might be a bit p'd off at having to come off the bench.

I think he should start in a 4-4-2 and that we should play Ince or Weimann alongside Martin.

:)

3 hours ago, harryram said:

That's with fresh legs as we'll not seen highlights of the match but from were I was sat looked like Johnson and Hendrick more or less tackled each other then Jeff couldn't be arsed to chase back! This from a player who had only just come on?? 

Thats exactly what happened.

17 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

I'd actually be tempted to play Johnson in a wide role too, in place of Weimann. Focusing attacks down our right and getting ball ino the box, he could prove a real threat in the box.

Weimann just frustrates me, he is very much a Jamie Mackie clone. He looks like he's got a great first touch and swivvel on him, but he's so powderpuff and rarely links up well when the ball is at his feet.

I cannot remember the last time I saw Weimann actually beat a man like a proper wide player. 

On the game, we can't pass up more opportunities at home. Winning only 5/10 home games is poor, especially for a side seeking automatic promotion.

That would work a little better if we had a more attacking, pacier left back playing, like Coutts looked good with Brayford.

8 hours ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Its not the playing poor bit that gets me mate. Every player will have a bad game. Its the lack of effort that really gets me. 

Hendrick did not want to be out there on Saturday. 

Watch that 2nd goal again mate. But watch Hendrick the whole time. 

His lack of effort and desire to run their player down and try and win the ball back is awful. 

I agree - it really does look bad. And I am a big Hendrick fan usually !

What also amazed me was that the three midfielders (Thorne, Johnson and Hendrick) were all within 2 metres of each other when the ball was lost in that incident, which perhaps tells another not very clever story.

5 hours ago, Mafiabob said:

That much of a liability that one of the top British managers of the last 15 years or so picks him regularly for ROI....

Very much a liability at MK Dons too... 

Top player in in my opinion... Yes prone to errors I'll admit....

Problem is people set there stall out on a player and make sure they shout from the rooftops any slight they make... I've been guilty of it in the past I'll admit. Still don't make it right though.

He would walk into pretty much every midfield in this league... And we've got him on the bench.... Pinch yourselves guys... How good is that....

Wrists anyone

Amen. 

8 minutes ago, mozza said:

Yea , i think they've taken to me , but can't stand you Delboy .. :lol:

Yeah I know haha, it was a joke and they took it seriously ha chill out City fans. How's Frankie Fielding guys? You're welcome to come on here anytime. Do you guys still got Aaron Wilbraham? 

That thread's getting better.

Someone misunderstands a post and puts it on their forum, so we put more posts of the same ilk and they continue to misunderstand :lol: can't say we didn't try to explain before all this happened. 

Some of them are now actually discussing that really bad forest hoax about Derby paying fans to attend. 

Archived