Promotion rivals thread

sage

12 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

Usually over 90 points for a team to get autos, that would require us basically to limit ourselves to one loss and maybe three draws? It's just very, very unlikely, particularly in this league.

that's not true. Only once since 2011 has second place had more than 90 points. That was when finished 3rd with 85 points.

in fact its only been 3 times since 2005 that 90 or more points has been needed for second place

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

So there is no chance of us pulling back 6 points on Hull (even though one of their games is against us at home) yet Sheff Wed are major competitors when 3 points behind us?

Yep. No chance. Have you seen us play recently? Have you seen Hull and Sheffield Wednesday play recently?

There is mathematic possibilities, and then there is delusion of grandeur.

2 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Yep. No chance. Have you seen us play recently? Have you seen Hull and Sheffield Wednesday play recently?

Good job we have enough point for safety then............................................

6 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Yes watched them last night, both looked very average.

7 hours ago, Leicester Ram said:

Usually over 90 points for a team to get autos, that would require us basically to limit ourselves to one loss and maybe three draws? It's just very, very unlikely, particularly in this league.

IF and it's a big IF we beat Hull does that mean that they would be limited to one more loss then?

8 hours ago, davenportram said:

that's not true. Only once since 2011 has second place had more than 90 points. That was when finished 3rd with 85 points.

in fact its only been 3 times since 2005 that 90 or more points has been needed for second place

It's only been once since the inaugeration of the Prem about a quarter century ago that a team didn't go up with 90 points.

13 minutes ago, davenportram said:

that's different to saying it needs 90 plus points needed to go up.

It is a bit. Only once has a club had 90 and finished in 3rd, which was Blunderland in 97/98. 

On every other occasion 90 points would have seen a club finish above the 3rd placed team and gone up.

1 minute ago, ipad1977 said:

It is a bit. Only once has a club had 90 and finished in 3rd, which was Blunderland in 97/98. 

On every other occasion 90 points would have seen a club finish above the 3rd placed team and gone up.

its more than a bit different, its totally different.

90 plus points normally gets you promotion. But most second place teams have had less than 90 points so 90 points is not necessarily needed to get promotion.

I didn't say it was necessarily needed. Didn't a side do it with 79 one year, think it was Burnley or Hull?

That's very unlikely to be the case this year though. All I was saying was that 90 points ALMOST guarantees the autos. To date it would have in about 96% of seasons since the Prem started.

2 hours ago, ipad1977 said:

I didn't say it was necessarily needed. Didn't a side do it with 79 one year, think it was Burnley or Hull?

That's very unlikely to be the case this year though. All I was saying was that 90 points ALMOST guarantees the autos. To date it would have in about 96% of seasons since the Prem started.

And of course when the Premiershite started was the beginning of football....!

1 hour ago, MuespachRam said:

And of course when the Premiershite started was the beginning of football....!

I didn't say that either.

But the period since the Prem came into being is most applicable to the current promotion race what with moneyed sides coming down etc.

Plus I couldn't be arsed finding the stats out for decades more if I'm honest...:whistle:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived