working abroad - time out.

Mostyn6

Ever since my first trip abroad, I've been itching to up sticks and f off abroad and see what happens.

The thing holding me back is struggling to find somewhere to live if I had to come crawling back to Derby with an empty wallet.

I'm approaching 40 and am looking back and wishing I'd taken more risks in life, but I've had decent jobs over the last 15 years, albeit mixed in with redundancies and other things.

Has anyone ever just upped and left to go abroad? Did you save a load of dosh? Did you come back with somewhere to live lined up?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have been in this situation and decided to move from the UK within two months, I don't have family and friends so this didn't come into the equation, Malta was a huge culture shock but I don't regret giving it a go, you need to give it a try because you will regret not trying it, the UK is not worth staying in mate.

Mostyn6--I suppose it all depends on where you intend to go.Bear in mind that elsewhere there is no NHS and also most places die in the off seasons.But having said that my dad lived on Corfu for around 20 years,even running a bar in Kavos.Remember many hours talking footy with Nigel Callahan who used to DJ there.

I've been in Mexico for over five years now, having spent a year in Canada first. Went to Canada with about 2k saved up, stayed in hostel before finding any job and renting. Fortunately, my job paid really well.

Then came down here, realised getting work was going to be a big issue and then started doing courses etc while here.

The only thing I'd ask yourself is - What is most important to you in life?

In Mexico, they pay is so utterly terrible that I have next to no chance of having a decent living (in terms of money) so the likelihood of me having a nice car, a moderate house and money to visit the States is very slim.

Cheaper countries are great if you have money stacked up, you could get yourself a really nice place with a pool, open area, everything basically - and then get a job to keep you ticking over.

If you're starting from fresh and value having a nice house, car etc. then don't move to a third-world country. Yeh the women are beautiful and so are the beaches and weather, but if you're not willing to live in a pretty rubbish apartment and earn enough just to get by, then don't do it.

Easiest place I know to start a new life is Australia. Language, weather, scenery, beaches, money - everything is so comfortable you won't ever need to find the perfect job to earn enough to have it easy.

So, long story short, really depends what you're after and how much money you have saved away. It's easy to do when you're 20 (like I was) but if you're approaching 40 I understand it's vastly different.

Mostyn6--I suppose it all depends on where you intend to go.Bear in mind that elsewhere there is no NHS and also most places die in the off seasons.But having said that my dad lived on Corfu for around 20 years,even running a bar in Kavos.Remember many hours talking footy with Nigel Callahan who used to DJ there.

Lots of places has an equivalent of the NHS. The Czech Republic does and you'd have free and equal access to it. 

Ever since my first trip abroad, I've been itching to up sticks and f off abroad and see what happens.

The thing holding me back is struggling to find somewhere to live if I had to come crawling back to Derby with an empty wallet.

I'm approaching 40 and am looking back and wishing I'd taken more risks in life, but I've had decent jobs over the last 15 years, albeit mixed in with redundancies and other things.

Has anyone ever just upped and left to go abroad? Did you save a load of dosh? Did you come back with somewhere to live lined up?

At your age, it's difficult to get a visa for most countries outside of Europe.

Forget Australia, New Zealand, America, Canada. If you have no direct rtade to offer them, you're not going to get a visa. 

If you have a degree then you can go to most Asian countries and teach English. That is how I started out and as there are huge opportunities for the risk-takers in Korea and Japan, I have made myself a very handsome lifestyle. If you want to go down that route, pm me and I'll see if I can get you on the first rung of a ladder. 

Having lived abroad for some 15 years now, I'm coming back to Derby way (actually considering Burton) in a few years to live and am going to be starting a business venture there so I am a little nervous at the thought. 

i left sunny Burton for Switzerland in 2008 at the age of 36 with exactly nothing, well actually with less than nothing as i had a decent mortgage hanging around my neck too

It was the best thing i have ever done, i ended up 7 years later with a great lifestyle, a cool house in France a great job in Switzerland and a beautiful wife.... we have recently decided to give up the French dream and move to the states, so at the age of 43 i have just thrown in my job and moved over here, with nothing again, actually even less than last time because this time i actually have 2 mortgages hanging around me.... but so far i have to say it has been perfect.

I would not advise anyone ever from going for it and moving abroad and basically don't worry about if it all fails and you have to go back home, so what, there is always work to be had... give it a go.. you should only regret things you have done not things you didn't do.

Back back in 1970 when I was 24, I was unemployed in Derby and found a job as a cocktail barman in Estartit Spain at a bar with the splendid name of El Custard Beast. I invented a cocktail called a Loin Loosener but when the menu came back from the printers it said Lino Loosener. Stayed for 2 seasons came back and became a civil servant. Worked on British aid in developing countries such as Nigeria, Ghana, Zambia, Ethiopia, Tanzania, West Indies, Malaysia etc. Wouldn't want to live in any of them to be honest. I now live in Woodford Green in east London and with a few work trips abroad to keep my wanderlust satisfied (Bangladesh coming up) I'm quite happy in the UK

Did he own the George?

Doesn't sound like you've got anything to lose, you wouldn't be posting if you weren't unsatisfied at the moment so that should answer your own inner questions. The hardest part of the journey is the first step which I guess in this case is the "f**k it" step. Good luck.

I know my situation is slightly different but I'm 3 weeks into an internship in Germany as part of my course at Uni. Ever since my brother moved to Denmark to study I've had a yearning for something similar and when I got the chance I didn't look back. Sure it's a little tough at times with the language and not really knowing anybody but with time this (I hope) will change. I know I have a few more years on my side but if it's something you want to do then as other people have said, you should take the plunge. You never know where it may lead! Also a lot of the larger companies only speak English anyway and in my case the small design agency wanted someone English to help them improve as they hope to expand! If you don't do it then you will look back in a few years and regret it

On 27 October 2015 20:00:47, Cisse said:

Tried to talk my friend in to moving to Derby and starting a liquer store there with me but wasn't willing to take a risk.

Take some responsibility, save up and do it yourself, sell your watch collection, you'll get them back if it's a success.

Archived