New chief scout appointed

Mostyn6

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Derby County have appointed Clive Richards as their chief scout with immediate effect.

Richards has been a senior scout within the club’s scouting department for the last 18 months but now has been tasked with overall responsibility for the department. 

Following Head of Football Operations Chris Evans’ departure at the end of September the club has taken the decision to restructure its scouting operation.

A key aspect of Richards’ role is to work with Head Coach Paul Clement and both his coaching and analytics staff in order to identify potential additions to the playing squad, as well as working closely with the Academy’s recruitment team. 

Commenting on the appointment, President & Chief Executive Sam Rush said: “We’re pleased that Clive Richards has taken up the role of Chief Scout at Derby County.

“Clive is someone that is respected within the football industry and an individual who I have worked closely with, both prior to joining Derby and during his time at the club.

“He will be a great asset to Paul and his staff as we continue to build the club for long term success.

“He has a wealth of experience and both myself and Chairman Mel Morris are looking forward to working closely with him in his new position as well."

Richards has been involved in full-time recruitment within professional football for more than years, following a spell working as a part-time scout. 

He has filled positions of Chief Scout, Assistant Chief Scout, European Scout and also Head of Academy Recruitment at a number of clubs, both in the Premier League and also the Football League, prior to joining Derby in 2014.

Basically a promotion then. 

Seems a bit odd, this does to me. Must have been appointed under Schteeve in that case having arrived in 2014.Fits in better with the way forward obviously. Perhaps he had input on Butterfield and Johnson. if so, good on you Clive. I would love to know who came up with the names of those two players. In my book, get the likes of Igor on the payroll spotting young players in Croatia and beyond. No-brainer to me.

formerly with shrewsbury and blackpool amongst others.

once with wolves.

maybe one of Chris evans's former wolves mates?

Its interesting that we have reverted to chief scout from director of football or football operations or whatever it was.

P.s. Have we still got mo camara?

Clive who looking for profile of the man clubs played for etc,experience of professional football,international experience,what country was he involved with,scouts come and go faster than head coaches.

If we replace a manager for a european system of recruitment then the man  ,responsible,for guiding the club on

the recruitment of players ,and with hand on knowledge of the playing staff .and with the respect of the professionals, at the club,,should be someone who has been there and done it.

Mistakes cost money.Mel so far has brought a dream 6 and a half million pounds worth of talent on the bench,

Wages of Bent and Baird,sat their as wel,l Pearce,some where on stand by,and we wait for Bryson and Buxton and

Hughes to join the party,Great times for a ram fan,its like xmas magic.

Sorry i see no point in recruiting a scout with limited experience to such a high profile job.

I did not think Evans was up to it,and certainly richards appointment seems strange.

Looking forward to the end of the financial year,

Just hope we are in the premiership ,

I checked what happened to the assertion that we were getting david burke and jon howard.

it seems that david burke has indeed arrived on the quiet.

linkedin profile......

david burke

Head of Tactical Analysis
Derby County Football Club

June 2015 – Present (5 months)

To provide analytical support for the First Team Coach with Pre-match, In-Match, Post-match and training sessions in relation to player tactics and development.

Clive who looking for profile of the man clubs played for etc,experience of professional football,international experience,what country was he involved with,scouts come and go faster than head coaches.

If we replace a manager for a european system of recruitment then the man  ,responsible,for guiding the club on

the recruitment of players ,and with hand on knowledge of the playing staff .and with the respect of the professionals, at the club,,should be someone who has been there and done it.

Mistakes cost money.Mel so far has brought a dream 6 and a half million pounds worth of talent on the bench,

Wages of Bent and Baird,sat their as wel,l Pearce,some where on stand by,and we wait for Bryson and Buxton and

Sorry i see no point in recruiting a scout with limited experience to such a high profile job.

I did not think Evans was up to it,and certainly richards appointment seems strange.

May have missed your point here but who are you suggesting we get as chief scout?

I checked what happened to the assertion that we were getting david burke and jon howard.

it seems that david burke has indeed arrived on the quiet.

linkedin profile......

david burke

Head of Tactical Analysis
Derby County Football Club

June 2015 – Present (5 months)

To provide analytical support for the First Team Coach with Pre-match, In-Match, Post-match and training sessions in relation to player tactics and development.

I was concerned to hear we no longer have a Director of Football - but the news that we now have a Head of Tactical Analysis has filled me with renewed confidence.

Football today is any thing but simple,its like starwars,and we need a Darth Vader in charge.

With derby county moving onto football science,why does the old fashioned method of splashing the cash still needs to be used .It seems the old quote from many successful managers that football is a simple game was nonsense.

My tip for a director of football is someone who has had a successful career in football management and is fed up with

the rat race.And is willing to be part of a team for recruitment of players ,and will leave team affairs to the head coach

and be there if needed to offer advice.    WARNING

The post would after be filled fast,as the owners --boards who invest millions like to be involved in team affairs,

This means the football manager will be a rare breed to find.,

The old saying that directors should stick to what they are good at is over,the new system of head coach is now

in England and the owners see this as the way forward.

But for me having a proven manager as director of football is important,15 years minimum

I was concerned to hear we no longer have a Director of Football - but the news that we now have a Head of Tactical Analysis has filled me with renewed confidence.

Same here initially when they announced Evans' departure. But since then I've been very intrigued as to how Clement intends to replace the setup behind the scenes and what he has in mind! There was a derby telegraph article sometime later that same week that caught my eye because it offered a few decent hints as to how Clement is rearranging staff/departments:

Clement praised the work of Evans and outlined how the club's strategy on recruitment will work moving forward.

The plan is for the recruitment department and the match observation departments to work together closely, scouting and analytics working hand in hand.

"We want a nice blend of the art of watching an opponent and watching a player combined with the science of it," said Clement.

"There is so much information available now in terms of data and video. We really want those two departments to be working hand in hand because there is a lot of cross over.

"We look forward to that particular area moving forward as this club moves forward.

"We want to be very forward thinking in the way we approach recruitment and match observation."

Clement revealed there was one person working on match observation when he arrived at the club at the beginning of June.

"That department has grown very quickly," he said.

________

edit- sorry currently on mobile and the site is acting up , will update this post with link to article within the hour! though I suppose easy to find via google by copy pasting a sentence or two

"We are up to seven, and will more than likely go to eight or nine people, and that is just looking at the opposition. It is something I take very seriously.

"The existing scouting department that worked under Chris Evans is still in place, and they will continue to do their job."

Clement, whose previous role was assistant coach at Real Madrid, thanked Evans for his help.

"Having worked abroad for the last four years and even before that at Premier League level, I didn't have a great understanding of players at Championship level," said Clement.

"So Chris made me feel very welcome and I was brought up to speed very quickly on the club's targets because a lot of the work with the initial signings was well down the line with the likes of Alex Pearce, Andreas Weimann, Tom Ince and Darren Bent.

"Chris and myself worked very closely with Sam Rush and the chairman to make sure we brought good players to the club in the last window.

"With a lot of help from Chris, we were able to do that.

"He did a very good job over the two years he was here."

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/Derby-County-Paul-Clement-says-apppliance-science/story-27890135-detail/story.html

Beyond the shocking English, time to pull this apart to show you how rubbish it is.

1) A number of people have come and gone but Clive Richards has remained - he has 18 months DCFC experience on his CV and will understand the people in the club. The fact he is still here probably shows the value he has contributed during this time.

2) So your remit seems to be around the fact we should employ someone you know. How do you know this person doesn't have significant contacts developed over time? How do you know this guy has contributed significantly?

3) What is a European system of recruitment in your opinion? We are not Man Utd, PSG, Real or Barca with their budgets. Clement has added people in the recruitment and analytical departments and he is developing it into a system he wants. Clive Richards will support that otherwise he wouldn't have got this job!

4) You then mention how happy you are at the moment - how on earth do you know that Clive Richards didn't have a big influence on getting some of these players in? The answer is you don't - because none of us know for sure how we get these players in but you've just criticised a scout been here for 18 months and then said how happy you are with the squad?

5) Limited Experience -he has been a scout for 25 years? How much experience do you want someone to have?

6) Evans not up to it - I disagree again - yeah we had some poor players come in but we also had some good players - and the team is getting better and better. If we base it on poor players that have come in - well Man Utd have signed some duds over the years as well so I guess their scouting department has failed.

7) Curious as to what you're looking forward to the end of the financial year on a post about scouts?

8) Just hope we are in the Premiership - well - we agree on this point but that is slightly after the financial year when we will know!!!

Beyond the shocking English, time to pull this apart to show you how rubbish it is.

1) A number of people have come and gone but Clive Richards has remained - he has 18 months DCFC experience on his CV and will understand the people in the club. The fact he is still here probably shows the value he has contributed during this time.

2) So your remit seems to be around the fact we should employ someone you know. How do you know this person doesn't -have significant contacts developed over time? How do you know this guy has contributed significantly?

3) What is a European system of recruitment in your opinion? We are not Man Utd, PSG, Real or Barca with their budgets. Clement has added people in the recruitment and analytical departments and he is developing it into a system he wants. Clive Richards will support that otherwise he wouldn't have got this job!

4) You then mention how happy you are at the moment - how on earth do you know that Clive Richards didn't have a big influence on getting some of these players in? The answer is you don't - because none of us know for sure how we get these players in but you've just criticised a scout been here for 18 months and then said how happy you are with the squad?

5) Limited Experience -he has been a scout for 25 years? How much experience do you want someone to have?

6) Evans not up to it - I disagree again - yeah we had some poor players come in but we also had some good players - and the team is getting better and better. If we base it on poor players that have come in - well Man Utd have signed some duds over the years as well so I guess their scouting department has failed.

7) Curious as to what you're looking forward to the end of the financial year on a post about scouts?

8) Just hope we are in the Premiership - well - we agree on this point but that is slightly after the financial year when we will know!!!

1 So having lasted at the club 18 months,as a scout ,he knows the club well,and  can now fulfill a major role in the recruitment department.You seem impressed he lasted so long.

2  The qualification s of a professional  person in football are on his C-V.and his achievements in the game are there for all to see.

3  european system ,yes,  ,players are brought to the club by the clubs recruiting policy,and a head coach makes it work.

If  it does not work the Head Coach moves on and owner-board carry on regardless ask our last one Steve Maclaren.

Analycriptic department,like the sound of that don;t you, I like Clements wants it and pleased to know he is their to support,and not lead.How can you bring budget into it,we have the biggest in the championship.

4  So even you do not know who brought the players in ,no it is just a fog called a recruitment system.

you want to know how i can be happy with the team,it cost 26 million to put together,and then add Bent-Pearce-Baird to the mix,plus our squad that got to the playoff final and finished 8th   last season..

We must not forget there is a lot of  cheap quality players also in the present team,It has cost a lot of money to put this

team together and i am not a wrist slasher and give people time,and Clements deserves time.

5  25 years as a coach  ,it seems a good spell,but scouting and responsibility for actually signing a player .

No a coach recommends a player to a club,but the final decision is taken by -------    -----------

6  Evans we do not know who he brought in,perhaps as head of recruitment he  should have a big say

his profile in professional football says he took charge of Sheff Wed for a game.,but of coarse he had been a coach and assistant in the lower leagues The recruiting system under his stewardship did bring in poor players.,.

Whitbread--Shotton--Mascarell =Albentosa--is Dawkins still in Jamaica --Well Maclaren and Evans have moved  on.

Over the last two seasons only Christie and Warnock have been added to the permanent team.

The americans have gone ,and spending has gone through the roof ,it is brilliant for the fans.

But i still have a hang over with the 3 amigo;s  and Paul Jewell.

Man Utd under ferguson has won nearly everything in over 20 years,and he had control over all football matters.

The next few years could be interesting--P-S would he be given the time to turn the club around today,

7 will find it interesting to find out how much it cost to buy the club .Money spent on transfers and the wage bill.

and the clubs financial position. The playing assets of the club is important  and the players value in the transfer market

is relevant So a good recruiting policy vital.

8 Premiership is the aim and pressure on the team being a favourite to achieve it,got two years now to relax and enjoy

the journey,after all  Mel Morris is leading the charge on his front foot

If it fails we had a go and had a exiting 4 seasons .If it succeeds PREMIERSHIP 

Clement revealed there was one person working on match observation when he arrived at the club at the beginning of June.

There was 30,000 to my knowledge

Archived