What colour will your block be?

ossieram

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm going to say this and I don't wish to offend anyone, but the scarves today look loads better visual impact than the 1884 groups flags, I know they've put a lot of work in collecting money and the manual work in creating flags, fair play to them, I'm not knocking them at all in the slightest and fully behind them continuing their hard work. 

BUT I'd also say today looked far too manufactured.

As an armchair fan looking from TV I'd like to see something that didn't look so organised, manufactured, fans just coming along and doing their thing like Dortmund for example.

borussia-dortmund-wall-600x358.jpg

I know Dortmund also do the manufactured stuff with the flags at the front and large banners but when you look at that crowd it doesn't look organised, same with the Kop, just fans knowing they need to bring a scarf or flag, they had some great flags out for Klopps first game with his face on, I remember Man Utd having Moyes flags out from Day 1 as well.

179198948.jpg

Somehow the message needs to be sent out to South Standers, bring your scarfs, flags to every game, don't wait for the club to kick you up the arse and hand you a freebie, the stand was created for building an atmosphere, don't just stand there hands in your pockets or on your phone filming the players coming out, you might get a couple hundred views on YouTube for your efforts but ffs it's really not worth it, those retweets, favourites, views are worthless, pointless, and I'll tell you now, anything under 50,000 views on YouTube is pennies, nothing.  

You chose to stand in the South Stand, knowing it was there to create atmosphere, you have one job, one job only, wear a Derby shirt or bring a scarf or flag. Get some atmosphere in that stand and stop waiting for freebies or the 1884 group to spend their free time creating flags for you boring ******* to hold up for 30 seconds.

It looked good today, a mixture of scraves and flanges would be even better. 

It did seem a bit odd though, watching everyone stand there holding a scrafe up without a song to go with it (I was down the front, filming it to get my 200 youtube views :) not there yet, need another few more).

Still could be better, but I still say it's improved 50,000% on two years ago.

Anyone got any ideas what us plastics can do to improve the atmosphere whilst sat in front of our computers listening to Rammage or watching a dodgy stream? (Waits for usual sarcastic comments from certain forum members)

ps I'll do what I always do. Get nervous, leap around when we score and throw something when we lose. I may be plastic but my support for the club will never diminish!

@Daveo

I was going to quote your message but there was too much of it!!

I thought the scarf display was a bit ragged but visually effective. You pinpointed the main issue though - plain black is really difficult to see against the crowd. However, the twirling around the heads after the goals looked fantastic.

I don't think you said this, but I think the flags look very far from being manufactured, we have a mix of different styles and designs, it's just about getting them used by everyone and building up the number of them over time.

Dortmund and Anfield look incredible and I would give anything to see the iPro look like those pictures, but that happens over time, not 6 or 7 home games into the first season of trying to do it. I would hope that people start bringing and using scarves to matches alongside the flags. Also, looking around the stadium, there are LOADS of flags there now that people have done themselves. The issue is that they are hung up like England supporters do, rather than held up like Anfield does. The SW corner particularly is covered in them.

To be clear, I'm not shooting you down and agree with a lot of what you're saying there, but I think it will take time to get to where we want it to be, and it will need to people not to see themselves as "too cool" to join in, which perhaps some fans do!

Maybe manufactured was the wrong word, I was under the influence at the time so you'll have to excuse me. 

It can look a little too organised that's all, there's no real identity to them like yesterday, the sheep masks, generic chequered card displays. It will take time, when you see Liverpool fans rock up to White Hart Lane and Klopp flags everywhere, each one unique, it's impressive.

It only takes one or two to start and I'm sure others will follow. For me, in my worthless opinion and I think I may have said this before but I'd love to see the 1884 money spent more on unique large flags that are permanent in the stadium, across the back and down the sides.

Seeing them might inspire others.

Get some Clement ones up there, maybe Thorne, Russell, ok in time they will all leave and they end up in storage but that's football

We have one 12m x 3m flag which the club are trying to work out where could accomodate it.

Problem is that there is so much advertising in the ground, there isn't an awful lot of space to hang the flags up.

We are working on a couple of things behind the scenes that relate to what you're saying but it's a bit early to mention them at the moment but personalisation of the stadium is something we're really keen on and actively trying to achieve.

We have some new flags coming soon which feature the likes of Clough, Taylor, Mackay, Jim Smith, Arthur Cox, and hope to follow that up with some that feature ex players too

Archived