How great is our Bradley Johnson

Curtains

I think Sage is right. Johnson has been a fantastic addition and might just be the final piece in the jigsaw for us. Brilliant player, tackler and finisher. But he's not a playmaker. That's why we've got Georgie.

I did not use the word 'playmaker'. I though that he was a very good passer of the ball. I think that I meant that he was good at making a key pass not playing footsie in our half. However, lies, statistics and videotapes have conclusively proved me wrong. Let us see if he makes any key passes on sunday.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually do agree that we have the best midfield in the league now. I didn't last season. Hughes would still be the first name on my team sheet. 

It baffles me that it baffles people why our football can be a bit sticky at times. Especially when Thorne isn't playing. It's Will Hughes, simple as that. He stitches it all together by being the fastest thinking player since Idiakez. Very rare does he give someone a problem with his passes. Great pass selection. Far better workrate than he gets credit for and between the two boxes he just brings out the best in others. 

Johnson is battler. He has the energy and power to compete and win those scraps. Same as Thorne. Hard players. Johnson is brave in every sense. He will take the ball under pressure, he's prepared to take responsibility. Johnson's standout attribute is his attitude. I wouldn't say he's the greatest player but he's a good player with a great attitude and that counts for a lot. I could name other players who are better than him at football but are so fragile that when things aren't going well for them they drop off dramatically

He isn't a great passer though. Somehow his long range passing and shooting is more accurate than his quick short exchanges. Not saying he's a poor passer. But he's not Hughes and Thorne level of being able to dig their way out the doodoo. 

Johnson will be loved for his all action approach. The same as Russell. I've seen Russell run the ball out of play and get applauded for it. People love to see someone who digs deep and forgive them for the lack of ability in other areas. 

They're not so forgiving for those who have huge natural ability and skill but expect others to sort of provide for them. They're just as important to the team. I'd rather have more of these than grafters.

For me it's Thorne, Hughes and Johnson. There's everything there. I'd have no real complaints about Butterfield, Hendrick or Bryson stepping in due to form or injury. Thorne is the one who doesn't have a back up who's really good enough to step in. 

Actually do agree that we have the best midfield in the league now. I didn't last season. Hughes would still be the first name on my team sheet. 

It baffles me that it baffles people why our football can be a bit sticky at times. Especially when Thorne isn't playing. It's Will Hughes, simple as that. He stitches it all together by being the fastest thinking player since Idiakez. Very rare does he give someone a problem with his passes. Great pass selection. Far better workrate than he gets credit for and between the two boxes he just brings out the best in others. 

Johnson is battler. He has the energy and power to compete and win those scraps. Same as Thorne. Hard players. Johnson is brave in every sense. He will take the ball under pressure, he's prepared to take responsibility. Johnson's standout attribute is his attitude. I wouldn't say he's the greatest player but he's a good player with a great attitude and that counts for a lot. I could name other players who are better than him at football but are so fragile that when things aren't going well for them they drop off dramatically

He isn't a great passer though. Somehow his long range passing and shooting is more accurate than his quick short exchanges. Not saying he's a poor passer. But he's not Hughes and Thorne level of being able to dig their way out the doodoo. 

Johnson will be loved for his all action approach. The same as Russell. I've seen Russell run the ball out of play and get applauded for it. People love to see someone who digs deep and forgive them for the lack of ability in other areas. 

They're not so forgiving for those who have huge natural ability and skill but expect others to sort of provide for them. They're just as important to the team. I'd rather have more of these than grafters.

For me it's Thorne, Hughes and Johnson. There's everything there. I'd have no real complaints about Butterfield, Hendrick or Bryson stepping in due to form or injury. Thorne is the one who doesn't have a back up who's really good enough to step in. 

We have all the ingredients in  midfield for promotion now and so much variety.  

Hanson can only improve and could be used if Thorne gets injured at times  

We even have Koblenz and Banjuka as back ups as well.  

Johnson is 10th in pass success %, but since only Butterfield has been here the exact same time then as a true comparison, Butterfield is 8th on the list.

Percentages don't matter when making the comparison, but to put some perspective into that stat, Chris Baird has an 86% pass completion rate, compared to 76% for Johnson and 87% for keogh.  

Therefore according to stats both Baird and keogh are better playmakers than say arsenals Sanchez who only records an 81% success rate :-D

We have all the ingredients in  midfield for promotion now and so much variety.  

Hanson can only improve and could be used if Thorne gets injured at times  

We even have Koblenz and Banjuka as back ups as well.  

There's note like a big Johnson in the hole.

Should stiffen us no end.

Johnson is the key player at Derby County for me now. He has power, vision and great passing ability. The best thing that I can say is that he has found the right team and will be Captain in time. I said it first on here, he is a potential Dave Mackay figure in influence.He is the key to dominating midfield against any team in this league. My only concern is that he will take on unnecessary tackles and get injured. Butterfield needs to develop his game and become more like Johnson., whilst retaining his present skills. Derby can afford to be more aggressive because we need to beat the other aggressive teams at their own game on occasions. Thorne should tackle less and only when really necessary. I have seen statistics for John Terry where he has dominated the attackers but only made three tackles in the game.

You convinced me at Dave Mackay.

Any midfielder who can be mentioned at the same time as Mackay or Toddy gets my vote every time.

It took a Colin Todd to replace Dave Mackay, just as it took a Dave Mackay to replace Brian Clough.

Power to you Brad!

I don't disagree with much that's been posted on this so far. But is anyone else hoping for Bryson to get fit and try and regain the form of 2 seasons ago?

Feels like we've missed that engine and link up play with Martyn the most.

not taking anything away from Johnson tho. He's just what we needed.

not sure Bryson could make the step up even, but would like to see him regain some form.

he's been a good servant to the club 

Johnson Thorne and Hughes are a premier league calibre midfield in waiting. All 3 are excellent. the standout play for me was when Johnson ran next to the One Player recently and just shoulder charged him off the ball and took the ball like candy from a baby. pure power.

I'd like to see Bryson challenge Hendrick and butterfield for Hughes spot and he will quite soon methinks - hearing he's fully fit now.

Most people seem to want Thorne, Hughes and Johnson as it has the best balance. It doesn't. I thought a consensus had been reached a couple of years ago that the best balance was defensive midfielder (Thorne), playmaker (Hughes, Butterfield) and box to box midfielder (Hendrick, Bryson).

I was hoping with last seasons goal tally Johnson would play a little bit like Hendrick and Bryson. But he hasn't done, he sits deep. It's worked a treat playing alongside Hendrick, not so much when playing with Butterfield. I'd put Johnson in the Hughes/Butterfield category even though he isn't a playmaker. I don't know why people think the midfield with the best balance is one that leaves Martin isolated.

I don't disagree with much that's been posted on this so far. But is anyone else hoping for Bryson to get fit and try and regain the form of 2 seasons ago?

Feels like we've missed that engine and link up play with Martyn the most.

not taking anything away from Johnson tho. He's just what we needed.

not sure Bryson could make the step up even, but would like to see him regain some form.

he's been a good servant to the club 

Who is this Martyn you speak of?

(Censored by Pendants Anonymous)

Who is this Martyn of whom you speak? :cool:

Most people seem to want Thorne, Hughes and Johnson as it has the best balance. It doesn't. I thought a consensus had been reached a couple of years ago that the best balance was defensive midfielder (Thorne), playmaker (Hughes, Butterfield) and box to box midfielder (Hendrick, Bryson).

I was hoping with last seasons goal tally Johnson would play a little bit like Hendrick and Bryson. But he hasn't done, he sits deep. It's worked a treat playing alongside Hendrick, not so much when playing with Butterfield. I'd put Johnson in the Hughes/Butterfield category even though he isn't a playmaker. I don't know why people think the midfield with the best balance is one that leaves Martin isolated.

Bradley Johnson got most of his goals from playing out wide 

Archived