Thorne

Derby blood

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our class CDM re-establishing himself after a significant injury has missed those three games. Whereas our two new big-money signings have played in all three. Now, what is the biggest influencing factor here? My guess is the latter, which can only bode well for when all three of them play together. 

i think we are resigned to the fact that georgy boy is going to miss most of the season, I would like to see hanson step up whilst he is absent.

I agree. Of all our midfielders Hanson is the most suited to the Thorne role. He works hard, has good positional sense, is a reasonable passer and is strong in the tackle. Assuming Thorne only plays 25 to 30 games that would give Hanson a good amount of match experience without burning him out. 

PistoldPete2

I don't think we should play Baird with Johnson and butterfield, even if thorne isn't fit. Not with Hanson and Hendrick fit . Anyway a fit george thorne is the best option of all. 

We always look a better side with GT controlling CM - he reads the game well.......

It isn't just that he reads the game so well, it's that he has the basic movements down when receiving the ball too. He can effortlessly create his next move as a result. When I watch football, most players to me have one or two options in terms of a pass because of their poor movement on the ball. Thorne is aware that the GK, the entire defense and the CM's are an easy option. Just watch when he receives the ball. It's so calculated. He controls it and turns to face the area he has already identified as the best place to play the ball. Sometimes he turns and he has got it wrong. That would spook most players. He then either turns again, or moves the ball from out of his feet to identify another pass. Because of this, when another of our players receives the ball from him they are far less likely to be under pressure. A lot of players play football like a game of hot potato. They are under pressure and instead of eliminating that pressure, they simply pass the buck. 

It isn't just that he reads the game so well, it's that he has the basic movements down when receiving the ball too. He can effortlessly create his next move as a result. When I watch football, most players to me have one or two options in terms of a pass because of their poor movement on the ball. Thorne is aware that the GK, the entire defense and the CM's are an easy option. Just watch when he receives the ball. It's so calculated. He controls it and turns to face the area he has already identified as the best place to play the ball. Sometimes he turns and he has got it wrong. That would spook most players. He then either turns again, or moves the ball from out of his feet to identify another pass. Because of this, when another of our players receives the ball from him they are far less likely to be under pressure. A lot of players play football like a game of hot potato. They are under pressure and instead of eliminating that pressure, they simply pass the buck. 

Dead right. What he does can't be coached. He is naturally gifted. If we can keep him fit he will be one heck of a player for us. In fact more than that............if he keeps fit George will go up..........with us or without us!

That shouldn't be a criticism of other players, each player has their own strengths and weaknesses - better to keep possession by passing back than do something that is going to lose the ball. 

Archived