Thorne

Derby blood

That shouldn't be a criticism of other players, each player has their own strengths and weaknesses - better to keep possession by passing back than do something that is going to lose the ball. 

I do think, however, that this inability to remain calm under pressure is the single most important reason we will never win anything at top level International football.

These guys get a year's salary every month and yet they can't trap and pass a ball in one manoeuvre.

Shackell actually looks amongst the most uncomfortable, playing an immediate pass to someone for no apparent reason or else hoofing it in the hope no-one thinks to intercept its 40 yard journey.

Once he has it under control, Keogh at least is able to run with the ball and find a more advanced team mate.

But Thorne is the master.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They have their own skills though. Not every Spanish or Italian player also has these skills. I agree that Shackell doesn't look over comfortable on the ball even with time on his hands. Totally disagree about Keogh, he moves forward but with little thought about what he is going to do with the ball once he gets to the half way line.

They have their own skills though. Not every Spanish or Italian player also has these skills. I agree that Shackell doesn't look over comfortable on the ball even with time on his hands. Totally disagree about Keogh, he moves forward but with little thought about what he is going to do with the ball once he gets to the half way line.

Codswallop, if an attacker is free he plays it to him, if no-ones showing for the ball he plays it to the full back to keep possession and go round again. At the very least a midfield player has to leave the man he's marking and go towards Keogh.

i can't believe he gets criticised for bringing the ball out of defence, it's ridiculous.

I do think, however, that this inability to remain calm under pressure is the single most important reason we will never win anything at top level International football.

These guys get a year's salary every month and yet they can't trap and pass a ball in one manoeuvre.

Shackell actually looks amongst the most uncomfortable, playing an immediate pass to someone for no apparent reason or else hoofing it in the hope no-one thinks to intercept its 40 yard journey.

Once he has it under control, Keogh at least is able to run with the ball and find a more advanced team mate.

But Thorne is the master.

Every Week !

This is getting boring now. He has proved to be the best CB at the club.

Back on the subject, what a player George is. Some fantastic passing today and looking like back to his best.

I would add to that that George and Bradley Johnson worked well.  When Will Hughes is back, my oh my, we have a superb midfield

Codswallop, if an attacker is free he plays it to him, if no-ones showing for the ball he plays it to the full back to keep possession and go round again. At the very least a midfield player has to leave the man he's marking and go towards Keogh.

i can't believe he gets criticised for bringing the ball out of defence, it's ridiculous.

not a criticism of him. That is his limitation. Of course he should come out of defence with the ball, he just never has it in his head what he is going to do with it. 

He has proved nothing.  

How much would we have paid for Keogh as a new signing this season and been delighted with his performances?           £6 million? George Thorne is only going to get better. Give Johnson the Captaincy. He is key to winning this league.

not a criticism of him. That is his limitation. Of course he should come out of defence with the ball, he just never has it in his head what he is going to do with it. 

He has proved nothing.  

Time after time he brought the ball out of defence today, and on each occasion it put Brentford on the back foot. What it does is it causes one of their midfield players to move inside to counter the run - and Keogh either then plays it to the full-back or he switches play to Shackell who then plays it to the other full back.

We get it, you don't like Keogh. You must be pretty lonely now, being so isolated.

How much would we have paid for Keogh as a new signing this season and been delighted with his performances?           £6 million? George Thorne is only going to get better. Give Johnson the Captaincy. He is key to winning this league.

Keogh at the moment is making Shackell look average. He's on fire. Also, like I say, Shackell terrifies me on the ball. Yeah, no, but yeah.

Time after time he brought the ball out of defence today, and on each occasion it put Brentford on the back foot. What it does is it causes one of their midfield players to move inside to counter the run - and Keogh either then plays it to the full-back or he switches play to Shackell who then plays it to the other full back.

We get it, you don't like Keogh. You must be pretty lonely now, being so isolated.

I am fine with Keogh, I just recognise his limitations. He is much better this year now he stays on his feet. With guidance from the coaching staff and help from his fellow players he will improve when bringing the ball out of defence. I recognise that some people like his all action approach as it catches the eye, but he is limited in his ability as are most of the centre backs in this league. 

Lonely? Ha ha couldn't be further from the truth. Isolated? Not from the more knowledgeable about the game. :-)))

I thought Thorne was quality today. I only recall two misplaced passes, one over hit crossfield in the first half that went out for a throw and one shorter one that he tracked back down and reclaimed from the intercepting player.

Otherwise he demonstrated why we miss him so badly when he doesn't play. 

All about opinions though...

He has proved nothing.  

my god if Keogh has limitations then Shakle is a donkey. Cant u be happy that we have a kick ass defender?

Archived