The fiercest rivalries in English football.

Mostyn6

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Swansea Cardiff thing boarders on old firm levels of hatred....try imagining what forest supporters would be like if Nottingham was declared regional capital and had never won the European cup twice. Portsmouth Southampton always struck me as a nasty one.

Aye mate - it isn't pretty. Not helped by the fact that Soton refer to Pompey as "Scummers" and Pompey refer to Soton as, well, "scummers" - so as a neutral it is easy to get picked off by both sides!

Theres a lot of history. Strike breaking in the 1970s, plus up until about 100 years ago, Navy press gangs from Pompey would operate in Soton - picking up merchant seamen.

I don't consider Derby and Forest to be fierce rivals tbh, it's mostly friendly banter with the odd cup of piss thrown over you. The atmosphere is never as intense as say the Old Firm or Cardiff v Swansea, hardly any fighting outside the ground just the odd pissed up chav thinking he can take 50 on.  

I don't consider Derby and Forest to be fierce rivals tbh, it's mostly friendly banter with the odd cup of piss thrown over you. The atmosphere is never as intense as say the Old Firm or Cardiff v Swansea, hardly any fighting outside the ground just the odd pissed up chav thinking he can take 50 on.  

Yeah, but then you've got to get the train back to Humberside haven't you mate?

Been no end of trouble the past few years, sicko's cutting off sheeps heads putting them through pub window, songs about dead chairman, songs about dead children, huge fight outside JJB to name but a few. (I wouldn't like to see your unfriendly banter haha)

Been no end of trouble the past few years, sicko's cutting off sheeps heads putting them through pub window, songs about dead chairman, songs about dead children, huge fight outside JJB to name but a few. (I wouldn't like to see your unfriendly banter haha)

You want to see what the sickos in Downing Street do with a pigs head :ph34r:

If this question was being asked pre Brian Clough people would have laughed, what rivalry , we hardly ever played one another apart from cup games.

exactly, I grew up in that period and I struggle to recall a derby game, 1 or 2 maybe.  As Derby were going up, they went the opposite direction and vice versa.  Honestly, I found it difficult to hate them when BC was there due solely to the respect I had for him.  Probably very different to folk who go to work with a tree though

Archived