Nottingham Council Smoking Ban

Day

Smoking breaks could be banned for thousands of council employees under new proposals, it has emerged.

Nottinghamshire County Council wants to bar its 9,000 employees from smoking during work time.

The ban would prevent staff in uniform smoking on their way to and from work, and also extends to e-cigarettes.

Public sector union Unison said the rules would be unenforceable, but the council said it has a "duty of care to protect the health of employees".

Read loads more: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-34136455

Come on, surely this is going too far now? Will they also ban their workers from having more than 4 units of alcohol a day, duty of care to protect the health of it's employees and all that

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is already done in Finland. In our firm you can smoke if you have a eight hour day or longer because then you have one hour lunchbreak which isn't paid for and it's your own time. On coffee breaks however you can't smoke because it's company time.

It is true that smokers get more breaks. The people at our place have 2 or 3 10 minute breaks per day – probably an average of 30 mins a day spent doing no work (plus they will have an hour at lunch the same as everyone else).

You could argue that they relax and de-stress and are therefore more productive when they return to their desks, but I won’t go there.

In fact I won’t argue, as I realise every 30 minutes they grab now is taken off the end of their life as they die in agony from cancer. Their choice. We're all grown ups

Ban extra smoking breaks, no problem, totally understand, I get that.

What is wrong is stopping workers in uniform from smoking, including whilst travelling to and from work. Are they seriously saying that after you clock out, in your car on the way home you're not allowed to light up a fag? 

Yes smoking is bad for your health but with Nottingham Council banning you from smoking, Tesco removing Ribena from the shelves, what next the fruit and veg man calling round to make sure you've had your 5 a day?

Ban extra smoking breaks, no problem, totally understand, I get that.

What is wrong is stopping workers in uniform from smoking, including whilst travelling to and from work. Are they seriously saying that after you clock out, in your car on the way home you're not allowed to light up a fag? 

Yes smoking is bad for your health but with Nottingham Council banning you from smoking, Tesco removing Ribena from the shelves, what next the fruit and veg man calling round to make sure you've had your 5 a day?

It was ever thus. I worked in a 'uniform' job for Warwickshire County Council and whenever you wore the uniform you were on duty, including the journey to and from work. This meant you were subject to the same disciplinary system as if you were at work - if you were caught speeding, got into a punch up or whatever, you were almost certainly going to face a charge of bringing the service into disrepute. That was 30 years ago.

We always get people having fag breaks.. around 3-4 a day spanning anything from 10-20 minutes at a time.

In my previous job a few started smoking and having breaks so a pal of mine took up smoking after quitting as he got fed up of not being able to find any one!

Why don't the staff in uniform just wear a coat if they want to smoke on the way to/from work?.

At secondary school in the 80's, they were very keen on behaviour of pupils outside the school gates and if you were caught doing anything bad around town or on your way home etc in school uniform, it was treated very seriously. It's not unreasonable and hardly a new thing.

I work for DCC and wear a uniform, but don't smoke now. If I did, I'd wear a coat, not just because of the stink, but I'd feel a bit disrespectful really. 

The vast majority of DCC workers do not wear a uniform and it's easy enough to remove your lanyard so who'd know they were staff - especially when they're not allowed to stand outside the building, just put a coat on.

Archived