Signed: Bradley Johnson

North_Stand_Ram

Central midfield wouldn't get the best out of him really, however he could still be very useful there. If you give him licence to go forward then it could definitely work. As I said though his passing isn't particularly good, which is the main reason why he hasn't started since the opening day for us, and players like Howson and Dorrans, who weren't as good overall as him last season, are in ahead of him. 

His long passing isn't actually too bad. He occasionally plays an absolute blinder of a 50 yard pass, however his 10/15 yard passing is generally poor. His favourite thing for us last season was come inside off the left and then chip the ball over the top towards Olsson on the left, who would always make a run from full-back in behind the opposition defence. If you've got full backs who like to get forward then that'll be another advantage for you with Johnson in the team, as he's very good at finding them.

And yeah cheers. With the exception of last week at Southampton we've made an impressive start, just hoping we can build on that now.

Interesting comments. I'm sure we've got a plan to get our money's worth anyway. Perhaps he will find himself on the left of a 4-4-2, hopefully more diamond than anything though because flat 4-4-2 can get in the bin. Not enough fluidity for me.

• Replies 908
  • Created
  • Last Reply

6 million for a player who can't tackle, pass or dribble. I'm excited.

:D When you put it like that it doesn't sound great, however someone who could score 15 goals in this league is invaluable, even more so if they can do it from midfield.

Have to say though if Clement is planning on playing Bradley centre midfield then I'm not sure you'll get full value for money. As I said before if he has licence to get forward then it'll suit him more, but his best position is out on the left.

Really hope he does well for you though. One thing he'll guarantee you though is 110% every week no matter what.

Interesting comments. I'm sure we've got a plan to get our money's worth anyway. Perhaps he will find himself on the left of a 4-4-2, hopefully more diamond than anything though because flat 4-4-2 can get in the bin. Not enough fluidity for me.

That's why I'd play Weimann in that formation. He will make runs allday. Ince Coming inside, it could work.

I've not really had a chance to actually comment on this deal.

I think it's quite risky. He's a talented player, obviously, and the club record deal pales in comparison to what you can earn by getting to the Premier League.

But we've spent a lot of money this summer. Butterfield I could understand as he's a possession-based player, but I'm struggling to think of where Bradley Johnson is going to fit in.

A midfield two of Thorne and Butterfield and Johnson playing slightly further forward. Or do we play 4-3-3 and put Johnson on the left. Being left footed, I'd have thought he would be better positionedd towards the right and able to cut in and shoot - but don't we have Ince for that?

:D When you put it like that it doesn't sound great, however someone who could score 15 goals in this league is invaluable, even more so if they can do it from midfield.

Have to say though if Clement is planning on playing Bradley centre midfield then I'm not sure you'll get full value for money. As I said before if he has licence to get forward then it'll suit him more, but his best position is out on the left.

Really hope he does well for you though. One thing he'll guarantee you though is 110% every week no matter what.

thank you for your honest opinions   ..   if  its any consolation   youve just taken Matt Jarvis on a season  long loan

On paper almost every team in this league should fear our midfield. If, obviously a big if, they gel we should have absolutely no problem creating chances now. 

Hughes' injury was a real blow and it has shown in the first 5 games. However, going forward it should just be annoyance, we have the players but can PC get them to fire? 

The 2 signings today have been nothing short of remarkable. 

A massive upgrade to our midfield. 

Hendrick has had his chance this season and quite frankly he has been awful. 

If everyones fit then he wouldnt even make the bench for me.

Pretty much nailed on he will be sold in January. 

I thought he was pretty good against Leeds except for his miss. Linked well with martin. 

On paper almost every team in this league should fear our midfield. If, obviously a big if, they gel we should have absolutely no problem creating chances now. 

Hughes' injury was a real blow and it has shown in the first 5 games. However, going forward it should just be annoyance, we have the players but can PC get them to fire? 

Johnson doesn't have a great record with assists does he? But 15 goals from midfield would be handy... Not as good as Bryson in 2013/14 tho. 

Johnson doesn't have a great record with assists does he? But 15 goals from midfield would be handy... Not as good as Bryson in 2013/14 tho. 

maybe not but the fact he will be looking to get a shot off when cutting in will open up space for others to exploit. Currently, we seem to play slow, laboured football and I think it's down to not having the right balance in midfield. Johnson and Butterfield both look like they want to force the issue - I can't imagine the side to side, at pedestrian pace, to be quite so prevalent now. 

Carson                                                           Grant

Baird Keogh Shackell Forsyth                Christie Pearce Buxton Warnock

Thorne                                                        Hanson

Hughes Bryson                                          Butterfield Hendrick

Ince Martin Johnson                                 Weimman Bent Russell

and that still leaves the likes of shotton and dawkins left floating around...

thank you for your honest opinions   ..   if  its any consolation   youve just taken Matt Jarvis on a season  long loan

Yeah that's softened the blow a little bit, still disappointed though we've let Johnson go.

Coincidentally I was only watching this video the other day, when I was doing a bit of Youtube based research into a guy we were being linked with. It shows though what a wonderful left foot he has though, some fantastic goals. The one against Ipswich being my personal favourite (for obvious reasons)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXzR6ZmLQXk

Shouldn't have watched that again really, just made me even more disappointed we've sold him :D

Archived