Sky cost Norweigan Derby fan £6k

Kernow

It's my honest opinion Edward, and I don't expect to be slated for it. 

How his saying he feels sorr for the guy becuase he used to spend moning coming over to watch making it all about him? How is criticising people for criticising the guy making it all about him?

Well done or making an uneccessary comment trying to start an argument that isnt worth having

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't either. I don't get where I criticised him for publicising it.

Secondly, congratulations on making this whole thing about you. I can see now why you're self promoting your book, you're dead good at this attention seeking thing.

Really? You don't think that implying that Ronnie's reasons for publishing the book are those of an attention-whore isn't criticism?

Perhaps I'm reading something that isn't there. Perhaps I'd be better off not reading what is there.

Really? You don't think that implying that Ronnie's reasons for publishing the book are those of an attention-whore isn't criticism?

Perhaps I'm reading something that isn't there. Perhaps I'd be better off not reading what is there.

He's a good self promoter, clearly. Bodes well for when he's promoting his book. Maybe it's a backhanded compliment, but not at all criticising his reasons for writing or publishing the book. Good luck to him.

Why can't he cancel?

That would still cost a lot. Some flights simply aren't refundable, but he ought to be able to cancel the hotels. If you have to cancel for some reason, you're travel insurance will often cover it. But in this case, I don't think they would. If you go to see the gorillas in Uganda, but can't because you've got a cold, or the locals have had an uprising, you're just **** out of luck and travel insurance won't touch it. Same thing here, no insurance for bad luck. But he can complain till he's blue in the face to Sky, and get the media involved, which is what he has done. That's what I'd do.

Secondly, congratulations on making this whole thing about you. I can see now why you're self promoting your book, you're dead good at this attention seeking thing.

Come on Tombo, you're an intelligent bloke and you have more class than that.

Interesting this, I feel sorry for the chap but can't understand this criticism comment.

First of all, I don't think he comes on here, so isn't going to get that upset, but secondly people are asking questions about the situation, why is this been critical or knee jerk reactions ? 

This is a football forum, not a place to have a heart to heart with people you've never met around your erectile problems or whatever else you may choose to discuss.  To me if you come on here to post, whatever it may be about, then you are going to get the odd comment you don't agree with, but if you are going to continually get offended, then maybe this isn't the place to be.....all only imo of course :-D

Also to point out, I don't agree with the comments, and if I had spent that kind of money, regardless of if I could afford it or not, I would be pretty peed off to say the least.

I love that people make excuses for Sky.

Well, you shouldn't book travel plans until the week before. Just turn up at the airport on the day? 

6 grand to fly from Norway? What's wrong with they guy. I once got to Norway in the back of a lorry for £5 and there were 150 of us. 

... How about asking why you need to move a football match by 2 days to stick it on the ******* telly

Why don't he walk it. That's free. Sleep in a bin when he gets here. Get 11 in a skip if you squeeze. 

He should know fixtures are subject to change for TV.  Everyone knows what happens if you show a match on TV at the time it was originally meant to be played at. We couldn't face that.

Anyone remember the great tragedy 3pm kick off of 1981 when it was televised? Shook the world. 

The whole problem is if you wanted a weekend away to watch a game and need to book time off work, a hotel and travel,

It seems you know to take into account that the match could be played anywhere between 7.45pm on the Friday and 8pm on the Monday, 

I love that people make excuses for Sky.

Well, you shouldn't book travel plans until the week before. Just turn up at the airport on the day? 

6 grand to fly from Norway? What's wrong with they guy. I once got to Norway in the back of a lorry for £5 and there were 150 of us. 

... How about asking why you need to move a football match by 2 days to stick it on the ******* telly

The wages for Ince, Weimann et al don't come out of gate receipts.

Once you've taken the TV silver, you have to play their tune.

It's not the fellow's fault but it's the way of modern football. It's not making excuses for Sky, it's just the way football is now. You know that when you buy a season ticket or plan a trip from Norway.

The whole problem is if you wanted a weekend away to watch a game and need to book time off work, a hotel and travel,

It seems you know to take into account that the match could be played anywhere between 7.45pm on the Friday and 8pm on the Monday, 

If I were the Football League, I'd start selling insurance for kick off changes.

To be on the safe side I always come for a week and try to get a week with two home games in it.

In my late 20's and early 30's I was even safer and had a week's holiday, on a couple of occasions where I could get three games in.

The only game I've ever missed was an Arsenal home game, that got moved to 4pm on a Sunday for Sky TV, I enjoyed myself, just stayed longer in a load of Derby boozers, when I went out on the Saturday lunch time for pre match drinks.

I was travelling back on a flight back to Aberdeen when the game was on, so I recorded the game on Sky, not knowing the score, and watched it, as soon as I got home. So all the boxes still got ticked for the weekend, I still had a lovely ticket, not all ripped up and bent still in my bag, I still had a great time catching up with Derby friends, chatting about football and music, and I still watched the game in the warmth of my house, plus I was not sat next to some, moaning whinging fans, and they didn't have to sit next to me, everyone was a winner.

The wages for Ince, Weimann et al don't come out of gate receipts.

Once you've taken the TV silver, you have to play their tune.

It's not the fellow's fault but it's the way of modern football. It's not making excuses for Sky, it's just the way football is now. You know that when you buy a season ticket or plan a trip from Norway.

Then it needs to change. It doesn't need to be like this. There's no reason to move the game by 2 days to put it on TV.  

Sky are completely running football. 

Forest v Derby. Saturday 12:45 on police advice. Actually,  ignore the police and put it on a Friday night. Ok, so there will be more trouble and a few more scrapes but ah well. Anyone going to the game should expect that. ( I'm not saying that's what you're suggesting btw)

We're getting priced out with tickets. When we do buy tickets we can't be sure when the games are.  When we are sure when the games are we can't book transport etc because we can't be sure sure of when the games are.

Do they want us at games or not. I find the whole "Well that's just the way it is" attitude a bit annoying. Does it come from those that are rarely effected? I don't know. But the point is that it doesn't need to be that way at all.

Sure matches are moved for reasons beyond control. The football calender is now a packed 10 months. Through deepest winter too. 

But putting it on telly isn't a good reason and when enough people go from "Well, that's the way it is" to "Balls to Sky Sports" or "forget attending games" then we'll see something get done. 

I wonder how many people have this approach to many of life's problems (again not personal pop at you). "That's just the way it is"

Then it needs to change. It doesn't need to be like this. There's no reason to move the game by 2 days to put it on TV.  

Sky are completely running football. 

Forest v Derby. Saturday 12:45 on police advice. Actually,  ignore the police and put it on a Friday night. Ok, so there will be more trouble and a few more scrapes but ah well. Anyone going to the game should expect that. ( I'm not saying that's what you're suggesting btw)

We're getting priced out with tickets. When we do buy tickets we can't be sure when the games are.  When we are sure when the games are we can't book transport etc because we can't be sure sure of when the games are.

Do they want us at games or not. I find the whole "Well that's just the way it is" attitude a bit annoying. Does it come from those that are rarely effected? I don't know. But the point is that it doesn't need to be that way at all.

Sure matches are moved for reasons beyond control. The football calender is now a packed 10 months. Through deepest winter too. 

But putting it on telly isn't a good reason and when enough people go from "Well, that's the way it is" to "Balls to Sky Sports" or "forget attending games" then we'll see something get done. 

I wonder how many people have this approach to many of life's problems (again not personal pop at you). "That's just the way it is"

Yes, they are and have been doing it for years. Nobody should be surprised.

Yes, they are and have been doing it for years. Nobody should be surprised.

Just seems when you think they can't get any worse...

Didn't they trial a Thursday night Champ game? 

They're well into it now though. Monday, Tuesday nights split over Wednesday and then Friday, Saturday am and pm then all day Sunday. 

Ticket prices going up and up. 

I remember when people used to predict football imploding. It won't happen. We'll just lose it. Seeing your team will be a rare treat. Looking up and down the country at stadiums... They say attendances are rising but it's a different class of people. Not that I'm trying to say 'keep the snobs out'. But as it snowballs fueled by greed eventually you will have to be bloody well off to have a season ticket. 

The only way you'll get to see you're team is by paying Sky Sports. Then they decide what clubs to make rich. 

People expecting an implosion... I think we still have a lot more to lose yet. Television companies are only just getting started!!

Sky are putting money into football they will want to show games in return. 

Moor Farm is impressive right? the new dugouts are nice as are the Ince, Weimann signings and the Shackell signing which had a nice 250k from Sky to help pay for.

Seems like everyone enjoys seeing the club spending moeny but nobody want's to give anything up for it, I'll never call it the iPro Stadium, get rid of that Just Eat sponsor, QTS on the back of the shirt ruins it, oh look another crappy advert up on the stadium.....sign Butterfield Mel, £4.5m is nothing these days!

How many of you will be sat there on Deadline Day tuned into Sky Sports News? how many are sat here now watching a cracking game in Barnsley v Everton and will be watching on Saturday, Sunday and Monday? I'm guessing nobody with all the hatred for Sky.

Sound like a bunch of vegetarians with a mouthful of burger complaining about the dead cows. 

This fixture change wasn't random, it's just the first we've known about it. For the last 3 seasons with 1 months notice fixtures around the 21st September League Cup week have been changed to show on TV with Sky handing the home club a nice big cheque. 

If I ever start to hate football the way it is I'll move on, follow another sport or take up knitting. Yeah I'm going with it now, not complaining and fine with the way it is because with the amount of football on the box now means limited time talking to the missus and I'm grateful.

Extra time now at Oakwell by the way, not that any of you watching so thought I'd update you.  

Archived