Signed: Jacob Butterfield

Heisenberg

I don't understand this line. 

The club has said repeatedly that we have a list of targets, and work to that end. Judging by the rumours it's quite possible that Dale Stephens is one such alternative, though I don't know a great deal about Stephens. 

It's a classic tactic. People claim to know this and that shortly before or after having gone and done some research on the web. I don't care for it. It's the same with people who are 'in the know'. I didn't personally call anyone out. So why anyone feels the need to then be an arse and pretend they know off the top of their head this and that I don't know. If someone goes and does some research and then states their findings, that's fine. But people on here need to stop pretending they are a football encyclopedia. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a classic tactic. People claim to know this and that shortly before or after having gone and done some research on the web. I don't care for it. It's the same with people who are 'in the know'. I didn't personally call anyone out. So why anyone feels the need to then be an arse and pretend they know off the top of their head this and that I don't know. If someone goes and does some research and then states their findings, that's fine. But people on here need to stop pretending they are a football encyclopedia. 

Maybe just maybe people do know these players? hands up I had no idea who Harrison Reed was, or Joe Gomez when we was linked with him but Butterfield has been around for a while now, hardly a nobody either so it's not surprising most know who he is

For crying out loud. Butterfield is a highly rated player at this level, and as people have said 4 seasons ago he was being raved about when he was at Barnsley. You haven't heard of him. Others have. Stop projecting.

Until a few days ago you said this guys name and no Derby fan would have been able to tell you off the top of their head who this guy was or played for. I never said I had any names hence why it was a question. 

When he was at Barnsley a few seasons back he gave the best individual display by a young player I've seen at Pride Park - totally ran the game and I thought at the time he was a certainty for the top level. Maybe he's lost his way a bit since (not sure what his injury record has been like) so to suggest Rams fans know little or nothing about him says more about you than our supporters.

So basically, what you're saying is that because you don't remember or know him, nobody would? Seems from your response it's hit of nerve of your's though. Believe it or not, some people do spend a bit too much time watching, listening and reading about football, and remember some of it. 

I'm honestly surprised that you don't remember Butterfield though, when he was ~20 at Barnsley, he was hot property and considered one of the best young players in the division. I don't think many knew much about how he was doing (knew he was at Huddersfield, didn't know much of how he was doing), but not remembering who he was is it a bit surprising. 

Maybe just maybe people do know these players? hands up I had no idea who Harrison Reed was, or Joe Gomez when we was linked with him but Butterfield has been around for a while now, hardly a nobody either so it's not surprising most know who he is

This is the thing. I asked people in one way or another if there are other options. Because the price tag looks to be getting out of hand. Since then all that has been said is people claiming they know this and that about the guy. You would think that people who are so knowledgeable about this guy, would also know of alternatives. But none of that has happened. I haven't claimed to know anything about this guy. But I stand by what I said. None of the people saying this and that now, would have said a word 4 weeks ago to people's face in the concourses of the Ipro stadium about this guy. People are claiming to know far more than they did 4 weeks ago. That's fine, that they have done some studying. But people should stop pretending the things they just researched is knowledge they have had in their head for years.  

Because all I am asking for is are there alternatives. Not what he did on a Wednesday night away at Leeds 3 years ago. 

So basically, what you're saying is that because you don't remember or know him, nobody would? Seems from your response it's hit of nerve of your's though. Believe it or not, some people do spend a bit too much time watching, listening and reading about football, and remember some of it. 

I'm honestly surprised that you don't remember Butterfield though, when he was ~20 at Barnsley, he was hot property and considered one of the best young players in the division. I don't think many knew much about how he was doing (knew he was at Huddersfield, didn't know much of how he was doing), but not remembering who he was is it a bit surprising. 

Only player I can name off the top of my head from 3-4 years ago is David Perkins. Who would have been playing alongside this lad. Been a fan of Perkins since his days there. I just want an answer to this really: The amount they are asking for him, surely there are other options just as good for half that price or indeed on loan? 

This is the thing. I asked people in one way or another if there are other options. Because the price tag looks to be getting out of hand. Since then all that has been said is people claiming they know this and that about the guy. You would think that people who are so knowledgeable about this guy, would also know of alternatives. But none of that has happened. I haven't claimed to know anything about this guy. But I stand by what I said. None of the people saying this and that now, would have said a word 4 weeks ago to people's face in the concourses of the Ipro stadium about this guy. People are claiming to know far more than they did 4 weeks ago. That's fine, that they have done some studying. But people should stop pretending the things they just researched is knowledge they have had in their head for years.  

To be fair when you ask for alternatives nobody can really say who is realistically available without talking with agents, how much we have to spend and the value of a player. I always find it amusing when somebody says we should get X player as he will be cheap, then they are in shock when Andre Grey goes for £9m. 

You are right tho, players like Butterfield wouldn't be in the suggestion thread anywhere, ok you may get the occasional mid to low Champ player come up but most of the suggestions in there are Premier League has beens that are publicly out of favour or FM wonderkids that even I have to Google at times to see if they are real.

Sky Sports are not helping using FM stats now to compare players either!

To be fair when you ask for alternatives nobody can really say who is realistically available without talking with agents, how much we have to spend and the value of a player. I always find it amusing when somebody says we should get X player as he will be cheap, then they are in shock when Andre Grey goes for £9m. 

You are right tho, players like Butterfield wouldn't be in the suggestion thread anywhere, ok you may get the occasional mid to low Champ player come up but most of the suggestions in there are Premier League has beens that are publicly out of favour or FM wonderkids that even I have to Google at times to see if they are real.

Sky Sports are not helping using FM stats now to compare players either!

In this case I think it does apply. It is well known we are in for a CM and they are asking for an inflated price. If it was around the £2.5m we have reportedly already bid, I wouldn't be asking is there someone just as good for half price. Because I don't think there would be. But is there someone just as good we could get from somewhere for £2.5m. I believe so. 

I don't knock crowdsourcing. I think it's a tool that has been undervalued and no one wants to admit it is such a good model for rating players. But it will always have problems until it's fully embraced. But the reality now is that some wizzkid could come up with an algorithm that is better than a pool of 5,000 'scouts'. It's all about the data. The more data available, the better rating systems become. But until it combines itself with a personality profile (such as in Captain America: The Winter Solider), it won't offer much into common situations such as our Raul going back to Spain. 

No reason for them not to start these players. If I were a Huddersfield, Brighton or god forbid a Forest fan, I'd want our best players to start regardless of any interest/bids from other clubs.

Absolutely. Also leaving them out devalues the player as it would surely show a sign of wanting out from the player 

Absolutely. Also leaving them out devalues the player as it would surely show a sign of wanting out from the player 

Personally don't feel that them playing or not makes any difference to our chances of signing them, just that they aren't as close to signing as we may like them to be.

Archived