Signed: Jacob Butterfield

Heisenberg

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Which is fine and all, but "trading Pearce" would be a ridiculous move, as he's only just signed, and Buxton is our only other left sided centrehalf. Having a Keogh, Shotton partnership wasn't overly solid last season, and to give up a player like Buxton equally seems odd. I'd believe Shotton might be talked about, but not Pearce. 

Also, I'll reiterate that I wouldn't use Shotton at centrehalf at this point. 

The management have and will again though. I agree that it would not be Pearce, but a CB is probably available and most probably be Buxton, as Shackell and Pearce have just signed, Keogh has been 1st choice and played very well and Shotton is versatile and gives you more options. Whether I agree with Buxton being available, or not, it is Clement that has the choice.

Until a few days ago you said this guys name and no Derby fan would have been able to tell you off the top of their head who this guy was or played for. I never said I had any names hence why it was a question. 

Nonsense.

Though I am surprised at the amount of people who don't seem to know anything about him considering he was one of the brightest prospects in this league only 3 or 4 years ago.

I've so far neglected to mention why that might be but being as "no Derby fan" knows who he is then I'll proffer that 'some' Derby fans don't know a great deal about football.

For the money that been touted about what we are bidding for championship players shurley there is someone in the premier league we could have  for the same money which is better just a thought 

But those Prem players will probably be on double, maybe even triple the wages Butterfield is on so while we may find someone from the Prem for the same value, he'd probably cost us an extra 2 mil at least in wages than Butterfield 

But those Prem players will probably be on double, maybe even triple the wages Butterfield is on so while we may find someone from the Prem for the same value, he'd probably cost us an extra 2 mil at least in wages than Butterfield 

maybe on loan ??

maybe on loan ??

Yeah I was hoping we could sign someone like Bridcutt or Guedioura because they aren't wanted by their current clubs and then bring in a more attacking midfielder like Pritchard or Williams on loan. Looks like we're getting Reed from Southampton on loan though and then are trying to sign a Championship proven midfielder

Yeah I was hoping we could sign someone like Bridcutt or Guedioura because they aren't wanted by their current clubs and then bring in a more attacking midfielder like Pritchard or Williams on loan. Looks like we're getting Reed from Southampton on loan though and then are trying to sign a Championship proven midfielder

hope so as we are playing ok just need that little cutting edge now and we will be unbeatable 

There is more to football than simply the PL and Championship. 

Nonsense.

Though I am surprised at the amount of people who don't seem to know anything about him considering he was one of the brightest prospects in this league only 3 or 4 years ago.

I've so far neglected to mention why that might be but being as "no Derby fan" knows who he is then I'll proffer that 'some' Derby fans don't know a great deal about football.

I am surprised it took so little time for someone like yourself to pop up and pretend they have had so much prior knowledge on this lad. Like I said, someone just 4 weeks ago said this lads name and you wouldn't have been able to say who he plays for and probably what position either. My point in general is that there are always diamonds in the rough. Players that are completely off people's radar. 

I am surprised it took so little time for someone like yourself to pop up and pretend they have had so much prior knowledge on this lad. Like I said, someone just 4 weeks ago said this lads name and you wouldn't have been able to say who he plays for and probably what position either. My point in general is that there are always diamonds in the rough. Players that are completely off people's radar. 

You know when Derby and Barnsley drew 1-1 at Pride Park 4 years ago and along with Steele, Butterfield was the best player on the pitch? I think a few of the 20 odd thousand who were present might have made a note of him. 

Spot on. We might not have seen much of him (I doubt many of us sit and watch 90 mins of Huddersfield games regularly) so you have to look at opinions from the fans of the club he plays for. And when they're saying he's their best player ahead of the likes of Wells, Smithies and Scannell etc, you can be confident in the fact he's a good player

Same goes for this Reed lad we're supposedly loaning, I've only seen him a few times last season for Southampton, but when their fans seem disappointed he's going out on loan and not being involved in the first team I can be sure he's a talented player

You really didn't know Butterfield? He was class at Barnsley, and some of the hottest property in the division at one point. He was bossing it back in 11-12 until he did his ACL. The problem for him was that after his move to Norwich following that injury it all kind of stagnated for him it seemed, and he disappeared off the radar. I do recall people noting him as an option when midfielders were brought up though. The great thing for him is he's bounced back, at a good age and doing well at Huddersfield. 

Maybe most people haven't seen a great deal of him, but equally most haven't seen a great deal of many of the players we talk alot about, and that includes Thorne prior to him signing permanently, and even arguably now. 

Spot on. We might not have seen much of him (I doubt many of us sit and watch 90 mins of Huddersfield games regularly) so you have to look at opinions from the fans of the club he plays for. And when they're saying he's their best player ahead of the likes of Wells, Smithies and Scannell etc, you can be confident in the fact he's a good player

Same goes for this Reed lad we're supposedly loaning, I've only seen him a few times last season for Southampton, but when their fans seem disappointed he's going out on loan and not being involved in the first team I can be sure he's a talented player

I don't deny he isn't a good player. But for what they are reportedly looking for in a transfer fee is this still a good option. By the time someone arrives we will have all but 1 of our midfielders back...according to Clement. That other one will be back before the end of the season. So have we been after this lad for a while? Because if not it seems to be just desperation. You don't go and sign someone for £5m or so, if beyond one season they might be lucky to get a dozen games in a season. If he is coming here and we are willing to splash the cash then fine by me. So long as he is capable of being regarded always as being above Hanson, Hendrick and Bryson in the pecking order. Because when we have Thorne, Hughes, Hanson, Hendrick and Bryson...even Baird available, is this guy going to be a £5m bench warmer? Is he going to be good enough for the PL too. 

For me personally if this guy is on his way in then both Bryson and Hendrick should be concerned. Especially if we are going to spend as much as they want. 

Just look at the way teams have setup against us so far. I can't imagine with Hughes out and with us supposedly looking for one more forward that we will start games with 3 midfielders for much longer. 

You really didn't know Butterfield? He was class at Barnsley, and some of the hottest property in the division at one point. He was bossing it back in 11-12 until he did his ACL. The problem for him was that after his move to Norwich following that injury it all kind of stagnated for him it seemed, and he disappeared off the radar. I do recall people noting him as an option when midfielders were brought up though. The great thing for him is he's bounced back, at a good age and doing well at Huddersfield. 

Maybe most people haven't seen a great deal of him, but equally most haven't seen a great deal of many of the players we talk alot about, and that includes Thorne prior to him signing permanently, and even arguably now. 

Another who 4 weeks ago off the internet wouldn't have been saying anything.

But that was my original point. There are always people available. People who no one thought was or who no one really knew much about. I never claimed to know any good alternatives to this lad. I was asking the question. People should just use the same logic. Be consistent with it. His name has come up, people have gone off to find out more about him and decided he's the guy and that there isn't anyone else we could possibly consider. There are always others. 

My original comment: The amount they are asking for him, surely there are other options just as good for half that price or indeed on loan? We had an impressive start to our transfers, but since then it's all gone not so well at all has it. 

Another who 4 weeks ago off the internet wouldn't have been saying anything.  

I don't understand this line. 

But that was my original point. There are always people available. People who no one thought was or who no one really knew much about. I never claimed to know any good alternatives to this lad. I was asking the question. People should just use the same logic. Be consistent with it. His name has come up, people have gone off to find out more about him and decided he's the guy and that there isn't anyone else we could possibly consider. There are always others. 

My original comment: The amount they are asking for him, surely there are other options just as good for half that price or indeed on loan? We had an impressive start to our transfers, but since then it's all gone not so well at all has it. 

The club has said repeatedly that we have a list of targets, and work to that end. Judging by the rumours it's quite possible that Dale Stephens is one such alternative, though I don't know a great deal about Stephens. 

Until a few days ago you said this guys name and no Derby fan would have been able to tell you off the top of their head who this guy was or played for. I never said I had any names hence why it was a question. 

I would, do I win a prize?

Archived